Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Dom Dwyer (on trial with Charlton 2013)

edited May 2015 in Rumours
Currently plies his trade for Sporting Kansas. Looks like he might be joining us in the MLS off season with an option to make it permanent.

I know this has already been mentioned on the rumours page but seeing as he is the only player we seem to be linked to currently I thought he deserved his own thread.

Not seen much of him TBH but pretty active on Twitter by all accounts.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Just over for Eastenders isn't he, Dommy Dwyer?
  • Probably L1 level, but you never know.

David Beckham cavorted across a confetti-strewn pitch with a Union Jack a year ago after claiming American soccer’s greatest prize with the Los Angeles Galaxy. Last Saturday in Kansas City another English footballer donned a St George’s Cross that flapped like a superhero’s cape as he celebrated winning Major League Soccer’s championship.
    While Beckham cracked America via Hollywood, Dom Dwyer’s Stateside success owes much to the place famous as the home of Disney’s Magic Kingdom. A prolific loan spell at minor-league Orlando City last summer earned the 23-year-old from Cuckfield in West Sussex a spot in Sporting Kansas City’s starting line-up.
    Dwyer scored the goal against Houston Dynamo on Nov 23 that put his team through to the MLS Cup final and played the first 72 minutes on Saturday as Kansas City beat Real Salt Lake on penalties to lift the trophy.
    This American dream was born from an English nightmare. A small and sharp forward, Dwyer was released by Norwich City's youth set-up and advised by a doctor to retire after suffering a series of foot injuries. After a trial arranged by a company called Soccer Icon he won an athletic scholarship to a college in small-town Texas.
    Dwyer was prolific for the Tyler Apaches and switched to a university in Florida. Then he was selected by Kansas City in the first round of the 2012 SuperDraft, the process by which MLS franchises choose the top graduates.
  • so what has happened to signing Dom?
  • We're now shopping in M&S rather than ASDA
  • Proven championship players please. This could turn into Pardew round 2.
  • edited January 2014
    Dwyer tweeted yesterday. Seems he is still waiting for an offer..

• He tweeted "patience is a virtue".
  • Is he out of contract or still a Kansas player? I can't see the new owner paying a fee for a striker if he's got 2 not getting a game at Liege who are probably just as good, if not better.
  • Is he out of contract or still a Kansas player? I can't see the new owner paying a fee for a striker if he's got 2 not getting a game at Liege who are probably just as good, if not better.

Unless of course he is intending to get rid of one of the ones we already have... There is/was that horrible Kermorgant-Burnley rumour doing the rounds.... #conspiracynut
  • Sponsored links:

• I'm going to give the owner some credit and go along with the train of thought that he will listen to Powell (at least initially) and not dismantle the side. I just think it'll be a few loan signings, nothing too drastic, to see us safe then any major squad re-building will be done in the summer
  • @Ddwyer14: Look forward to playing against @IAmJermainDefoe@SkySportsNews: : Jermain Defoe to join MLS side Toronto FC on Monday on a permanent deal”
  • @Ddwyer14: Look forward to playing against @IAmJermainDefoe@SkySportsNews: : Jermain Defoe to join MLS side Toronto FC on Monday on a permanent deal”

No relegation in the MLS so at least he won't have to hand in a transfer request ever again.

• @Ddwyer14: Thanks to everyone at @CAFCofficial great club and great group of lads, confident they will have a strong second half of the season!

@Ddwyer14: Disappointed not to complete a short term loan, Unfortunate timing of the takeover at the club made us run out of time to complete deal.

@Ddwyer14: See you next year #cafc boys
  • Hopefully it means we have to move forward on securing a forward for the rest of the season not just a month.
  • @Ddwyer14: Thanks to everyone at @CAFCofficial great club and great group of lads, confident they will have a strong second half of the season!

@Ddwyer14: Disappointed not to complete a short term loan, Unfortunate timing of the takeover at the club made us run out of time to complete deal.

@Ddwyer14: See you next year #cafc boys

Possibly signed a pre contract agreement?
  • What does he mean by the timing? Transfer window is open
  • Saving the funds for a keeper instead #priority
  • Chunes said:

What does he mean by the timing? Transfer window is open

Ours, yes, the MLS one, not so sure. Or either us/them decided it would not be long enough to be worthwhile before he headed back across the ocean.
  • Sponsored links:

• Chunes said:

What does he mean by the timing? Transfer window is open

Might be different for the MLS... Maybe Sporting KC wanted the deal done by a certain time so as not to distrupt their Pre-Season

You can never have too many keepers

Umm, and I thought you were a monogamist......
  • I would guess that Michael Smith is probably a better bet right now.
  • My guess is we got someone better lined up.

credit to DD for the way he has conducted himself.
  • DD appeared to have a good attitude and the type of character who would have fitted in with the current squad. I can only hope that CP has the option of a better striker who would be available more long term.
  • as I watch the MLS every week will be following his progress with added interest...
  • Keep us posted oakster
  • Apprently he is currently playing on loan for Orlando City in the third teir of the US league system.

Like cardigans, Henry ?