Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Alcorcon - Spanish club the latest in Duchatelet stable? (Ed. Yes)

Comments

• Roland Duchâtelet shopped merrily continue on the European football market. The president of Standard would now also on the verge of the Spanish AD Alcorcon take over.

Roland Duchâtelet is unstoppable. The businessman was already owner of Sint-Truiden, Standard and Ujpest and added the past few weeks Carl Zeiss Jena and Charlton Athletic to it.

But the football hunger is still not satisfied. According Sportifun Duchâtelet is about to take on too AD Alcorcon

AD Alcorcon Madrid is a professional football club which takes office in the Segunda Division. The little brother of Real and Atletico is actually in trouble and threatens to degrade.
  • We will have to wait to see how things pan out, but I currently do not feel very comfortable in what we are becoming part off!
  • I think it says he is looking to buy it, not that it has gone through. The article says they are from Madrid, but they are just outside Madrid, in a fair size town.
  • rananegra said:

I think it says he is looking to buy it, not that it has gone through. The article says they are from Madrid, but they are just outside Madrid, in a fair size town.

Like a Spanish Charlton..
  • We will have to wait to see how things pan out, but I currently do not feel very comfortable in what we are becoming part off!

You'd think if this is true that he's got some kind of harebrained scheme to maintain all these clubs via some sort of roundabout of player loans....?

• Surely this will all end in tears?
  • I can't see how being part of his collection can benefit our club - this will end badly.
  • Any idea what sort of money is needed to run a club at that level in Spain? We know we lose something like £5-8m at this level. Can't imagine it'll cost quite as much over there. Over here we have big attendances outside the top division, clubs can afford (well, they pay) bigger wages.
  • Sponsored links:

• I think if I had a plan to recruit and loan talent around the world then I would certainly have a team based in the country that seems to have an endless conveyor belt of talent. Not saying I can see what the big plan is though.
  • Do you see who their next fixture is against.
    Says it all really.
  • Anybody think it might be fun to visit all six grounds in one season?!! Got to beat the 92 Club, surely!!

The real issue might be getting to each of the locations before he buys yet another Club!! You could end up spending months on the road.
  • If we are working under the theory that he is setting up feeder clubs and the hierarchical structure is based on highest return possible then we are still at the top of the food chain, due to the fact that the TV money is Spain is distributed differently to in England, in La Liga basically Barcelona and Real Madrid get 100 million and the rest get 20 million each, that's Euros and these figures are from last year, So a profit is available for sure, but to get into the champs league in La Liga would be super difficult, to get to the 180 Million, at least, if relegated first year, over 5 years, is far more achievable and also we are losing 7 million a year so the clock is ticking for these bloke from day one, I'd imagine that's a lot of wind screen wipers or whatever this weirdo produces ;) ...

In closing, its f******* soooooo typical Charlton that when we go international and get bought out, as so many clubs our size and bigger have gone over the last decade, we end up with a weirdo doing a some kind of experiment of which we don't understand and have no idea if it's good bad or indifferent its comically probably about right....

• We're part of the most boring weird footballing conglomerate experiment ever .... Rather appropriate

Which are the interesting weird footballing conglomerate experiments you are comparing it too...?
  • Alcorcon's ground holds 5607 according to Wiki. Yes, there are some big names in the Spanish 2nd division but Alcorcon aren't one of them, this is their 4th year in the Segunda division, ever. I think the idea that it is to use as a way of getting Spanish talent for his other clubs makes more sense.
  • Daniel Pacheco anyone... Another ex-Liverpool youngster...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dani_Pacheco
  • Jiminez owned a Spanish club, didn't he?
  • Youth players would be playing competitive football and we have an acadamy out there.
    All sounds good to me. I think football outside of the Prem needs re-thinking and this guy is giving it a go. If he makes it work there will be a huge cry of 'foul'.

Will our development players be moved abroad to protect them from the likes of Spurs?

Time will tell, but I am developing a bit of respect for him. It won't be boring!
  • To quote Manuel. "I know nothing"
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2014
    Interesting times. Just trying to think of the possible advantages of having a multi national club network.

Scouting is the obvious one. Powell identifies he needs a tall striker that favors the left side, with strong hold up play and a great header off the ball. RD communicates this to all of his scouts, more chance of unearthing a cheap gem from somewhere.

Tax efficiency. Drive overall profits or losses for the group to the most efficient country for tax purposes.

Economies of scale through bigger purchasing power for equipment, catering, even Labour contract work. Imagine he wants to re develop five stands at four different clubs. He could puts the whole contract up to tender and gets a much more competitive quote per club, than individually. Could probably get a better deal for using something like pro zone software across his whole group than a club can individually.

Maybe some synergies and efficiencies by having"group" positions for non paying staff, even playing staff. A centralized accounting department. Etc.

A very business way of looking at things, But sounds as if he's an extremely business savvy guy.

• Greg Dyke re started this debate - reasonable link here, it offers a further link for an opposing view at the bottom of the page
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/premier-league-feeder-clubs-spains-2288091
    I don't know what to make of it at the moment, but life isn't going to be boring.
  • When is there going to be a press conference? Somebody needs to ask him why he is buying all these clubs?
  • I haven't got a clue what he's doing, but one thing I'm sure of : he will have a business plan that is pretty certain to work out well financially.
    If I read that for a Championship team an annual deficit of 5-8M £ is regular, then I'll think you may expect some serious changes, cause if there's one thing for sure : he will never accept a structural deficit at any team he's buying.

But this might give a clue to what he's up to : concentrating on high skilled youngsters, put them in a team with a handfull of experienced quality players, and sell them with a big margin, at least that's my humble opinion.
  • great point crazy with regards to the scouting network , never even considered it
  • Interesting that the only contract developments in the last few months has been to sign up our most promising youngsters......Hmm, coincidence or had RD already made noises?
  • RedChaser said:

Interesting that the only contract developments in the last few months has been to sign up our most promising youngsters......Hmm, coincidence or had RD already made noises?

another very good point

• can't wait for the two Shed pre season tournament
  • When is there going to be a press conference? Somebody needs to ask him why he is buying all these clubs?

I don't think we'll hear from him directly at all and why would we?

I expect Murray to be the voice for a bit until a right hand man/woman is appointed.