Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sherwood new Spurs manager

Comments

• Unbelieveable Jeff!
  • thanks for the info .. a surprise but welcome appointment .. perhaps the view that 'foreign is best' will now come under closer scrutiny
  • Till end next season

Wonder if he will last that long.
  • Disaster written all over it. Reckon he'll last 10 games.

Assume they have a big name in mind who isn't available till next summer.
  • Amazing how loads of British managers struggle to get a top 6 club, then he gets one without any experience. Just weird.
  • Assume they have a big name in mind who isn't available till next summer.

There's probably half a dozen top candidates going to be looking for jobs post World Cup. Makes sense for them to wait with no outstanding candidates available now. They might as well have stuck with AVB in the meantime though.
  • Tottenham have appointed Tim Sherwood as head coach on a full-time basis (till end 2014/2015 season).
    Sherwood, 44, replaces Andre Villas-Boas who was sacked by Spurs last week.
    Former midfielder who played at clubs including Norwich, Blackburn and Spurs
    Won Premier League with Blackburn in 1995 during a seven-year spell at Ewood Park
    Subsequently spent nearly four years at White Hart Lane, making more than 100 appearances
    Joined Spurs coaching staff in 2008 under Harry Redknapp
    Took over as interim manager after the sacking of Andre Villas-Boas
    The former England midfielder guided Spurs to a 3-2 win at Southampton on Sunday as interim boss and has now been handed a contract until the end of the 2014-15 Premier League season.
    "We believe Tim has both the knowledge and the drive to take the squad forward," Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy told the club's official website.
    Sherwood, who won three caps for England, joined Tottenham as a player in 1999 from Blackburn, where he won the Premier League title in 1995.
    He left White Hart Lane in 2003 to join Portsmouth but returned as part of the club's coaching staff in 2008 under then-manager Harry Redknapp.
    Sherwood was working as technical co-ordinator when chairman Levy asked him to look after the first team following Villas-Boas's departure.
    Villas-Boas left the club after winning just two of his last seven league games in charge and the White Hart Lane club had only scored 15 goals in total before Sunday's 3-2 win over Southampton.
    "We were extremely reluctant to make a change mid-season, but felt we had to do so in the club's best interests," added Levy.
    "We have a great squad and we owe them a head coach who will bring out the best in them and allow them to flourish and enjoy a strong, exciting finish to the season.
    "We are in the fortunate position of having within our club a talented coach in Tim Sherwood."
    Sherwood has no previous managerial experience, but Spurs rejected an approach by Championship side Blackburn in October 2012 for him to become their manager.
  • I think he'll do well. Yesterdays game he played 2 upfront, bringing back Adebeyor in the process. By all accounts he was mom and Spurs looked a different side.

none of this defensive foreign rubbish
  • I'm sure he's very well thought of there and seem to remember he was mentioned when the job came up previously...as it often does, with Levy in charge!

Good job the media don't make (too many) of these decisions. He was pony after they lost to WHam and would never get the job, but was best thing going after the win at the weekend! Good luck to him!
  • Sponsored links:

• Head coach not mgr means he also won't pick the players or have a real control on style of play

You sold out Tim and you will fail as will spurs
  • Bold choice, hope it works out for him.
  • relatively cheap wages and thus less expensive to get rid of whenever desired.
  • Sherwood is an avid Gooner - not too sure what the spuds will think of the appointment TBH.
  • Doesn't sound the brightest or most inspirational when i hear him interviewed but good luck to him. Good to see a Brit in charge of one of the larger teams for once
  • relatively cheap wages and thus less expensive to get rid of whenever desired.

Yep. That is probably about right.

Rough translation is, "All the managers we want are under contract and we've just paid a shitload to Villas Boas so we ain't paying compensation to anyone - Tim, you've got the job!"

Shades of Parky really.

• Good to see a Brit in charge of one of the larger teams for once

No, it's Spurs.

There's probably half a dozen top candidates going to be looking for jobs post World Cup. Makes sense for them to wait with no outstanding candidates available now. They might as well have stuck with AVB in the meantime though.
    Definitely going to be this IMO. Probably already agreed with the man concerned but they don't want to be a dead man walking going into the World Cup. Klinsmann would be my guess.
  • this is a Les Reed type appointment surely... will be happy to be proven wrong

Definitely going to be this IMO. Probably already agreed with the man concerned but they don't want to be a dead man walking going into the World Cup. Klinsmann would be my guess.
    Capello was at the Lane last week wasn't he, and I think his contract with Russia is up after the World Cup?

• Sponsored links:

• Head coach not mgr means he also won't pick the players or have a real control on style of play

You sold out Tim and you will fail as will spurs

Well he won't be the only one involved in the signings for sure, but as head coach of course he'll be choosing the style of play and picking the team. Who
    else do you think will be doing that?!
  • Where's John Boy when you need him?
  • I think he'll do well! More of an attacking style which will suit the new signings and players they have!
  • Top bloke....my cousin's life partner.
  • I meant by picking the players he wants to sign

And if you don't pick the players you want to sign then you don't really choose what style you want to play

You play to strengths of players that you have so if baldini signs a big powerful centre forward who scores goals from wide balls into the box

Then having a tip tap passing game style won't work
  • if he plays the same formation against better sides spurs will lose more than 6-0.
  • For anybody that thinks we have problems, be grateful you do not support this lot.

Sherwood is keeping the seat warm for Capello, Capello will end his contract with Russia after the world cup
  • As others have said this is very much like us when we sacked Iain Dowie and replaced him with Les Reed.

Same with the players that have been brought it... We brought in a ton of newbies who struggled to gell, Spurs have brought in the same amount of newbies who are struggling to gell, not saying that they'll go down like us but I reckon they can write off this year
  • I meant by picking the players he wants to sign

And if you don't pick the players you want to sign then you don't really choose what style you want to play

You play to strengths of players that you have so if baldini signs a big powerful centre forward who scores goals from wide balls into the box

Then having a tip tap passing game style won't work

I see your point, but in Spurs' case, they pretty much have enough players to choose any realistic style they like, no? What style of play is out of Sherwood's reach? Volleyball?
  • For anybody that thinks we have problems, be grateful you do not support this lot.

Really? Really?! You think we should have sympathy for supporters watching £20m+ footballers duking it out for the Champions League? We should count ourselves lucky that our crippling debt is the same figure as Soldado's transfer fee?