Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Michael Smith - progress at Rotherham (p18)

Comments

• The way we play with a target man, we've missed Smith, as he's better at playing that role than either Sordell or Church
  • Definitely worth bringing Smith into the side with a good reverse loan out for Piggott a win win for both players
  • I dont undestand this, I would not play him above Church or Kermo. As a back up Sordell hasn't really had a good run in the side and he is proven. Keep him on loan till the end of the season in my opinion, although im all for giving Smith and Piggott the chance at the moment we haven''t got the luxury just need to play people with experiance, the safe option

thats all well and good, but if the experience isn't working, which it clearly isnt as we havent scored enough goals, then you need to try something else. You are saying keep playing the players that arent playing well enough, that is just stupid IMO.
  • Scoham said:

Granpa said:

I personally think he's a better prospect than Pigott. He's done well. I wonder how well Pigott would do out on loan in League One or Two.

Joe would not thank me for it, but at the moment I think that swapping Michael and Joe would benefit everybody. Particularly if the new manager realised that if you play Joe off the shoulder of the last defender, he is full of goals.

New manager?
    he means the one at wimbledon
  • Get him back and all the clowns that have been writing Piggy off can turn their guns on him if he has an iffy game
  • edited December 2013

I dont undestand this, I would not play him above Church or Kermo. As a back up Sordell hasn't really had a good run in the side and he is proven. Keep him on loan till the end of the season in my opinion, although im all for giving Smith and Piggott the chance at the moment we haven''t got the luxury just need to play people with experiance, the safe option

Not sure that is a safe option, given that neither Church or Kermo are scoring. We need to see if someone else can score, urgently, whether it's Sordell, Piggy or Smith.
  • Slightly off topic, but only slightly, The SLP imply that whilst Bolton have a recall clause for Sordell, which they are unlikely to exercise, we don't have a send back clause.

"And they cannot free up funds by cutting short .... loan from Bolton" "Bolton have an option to recall but are happy to let him stay in SE7"
  • edited December 2013

I dont undestand this, I would not play him above Church or Kermo. As a back up Sordell hasn't really had a good run in the side and he is proven. Keep him on loan till the end of the season in my opinion, although im all for giving Smith and Piggott the chance at the moment we haven''t got the luxury just need to play people with experiance, the safe option

He's 22, out of contract at the end of the season and has spent the majority of his 2.5 seasons here out on loan. We could also do with an alternative to Yann. Might do better than expected.
  • I dont undestand this, I would not play him above Church or Kermo. As a back up Sordell hasn't really had a good run in the side and he is proven. Keep him on loan till the end of the season in my opinion, although im all for giving Smith and Piggott the chance at the moment we haven''t got the luxury just need to play people with experiance, the safe option

I would happily play him before Church, and not shed tears if he were picked over Kermorgant either. Whatever their records and reputations have been before, this season both of them have been generally lacklustre, you can point to the service but even the most die hard of Kermorgant fans can't deny he's been ineffective by his usual standards, and Church's endless running is just wasted if nothing ever comes from it.

I don't expect Smith to single handedly save the whole season, but look at the impact of Sweet Harriot on his first appearances, or even Solly's breakthrough. That's what difference a younger player with potential and a point to prove can make.
  • And he's just knocked Phil Taylor out the darts.
  • Sponsored links:

• If he 's OOC at the end of the season then why not bring him back and give him a chance ?
  • edited December 2013
    10 goals for AFC Wimbledon now and I reckon it's time we gave him a run in the first time. No worse than having Sordell or Piggott on the bench IMHO. Shame he won't be available for the cup game v Oxford really.
  • Madz said:

If Smith does come back i hope fans won't expect too much of him. Yes he has done very well at League 2, but it is at League 2 level. I have seem some of the goals he has scored and they have been well taken so am hopeful for him, but I wouldn't want to put pressure on him to perform immediately.

This. Remember our current team were world beaters (well, League One) two years ago. Sometimes the step up in level shows the difference in class, pedigree, skill and ability. There may be some that can make the step up, but most that are a cut above will have been spotted by the premier clubs long before they are registering on our radar.
  • If harriot, cousins and piggot can break through by playing academy football then surly michael smith should get à chance. He has been scoring goals in competitive league games. Thats better than academy games.
  • From the limited bits I have seen of him I would say that the jury is very much "out". But we are hardly blessed with prolific strikers and I certainly wouldn't say that he is definitely worse than Church for example.

Funnily enough he reminds me of another Smith - Matt of Leeds United fame (not Dr Who!). He came up through the likes of Redditch, Droylsden and Solihull before a slightly less than convincing record of nine goals from 62 appearances for Oldham.

If we don't give our "Smithy" a chance we'll never know if he's good enough. It's not as if we're playing in the PL or that we've got to pay a fee for him either.
  • edited December 2013
    A League 1 club has come in for him, but as it stands (and as his media comments) Powell wants two weeks to assess him at the Club
  • I can see Smudger getting his chance, not getting a hat trick in his 1st game, and people saying to get rid, as he's non-league standard.

"Charltonised" I believe the expression is...
  • He's probably like most strikers - give him a good number of chances and he'll convert sufficient proportion of them.

And if the team plays well, the more service he gets.

It's also a confidence game - the more goals he scores, the more confident he'll be when presented with chances.
    A little luck helps too, a scuffed misshit or a deflection and he's off the mark.

But Smith has more to his game than just a goalscorer - he's a team player.
    He can hold up the ball well and bring team mates into the game.

The question is whether he's ready to do it at Championship level.
    But he's 22 with good lower level experience behind him, so he should just need a run of games, confidence and a little luck.

• If harriot, cousins and piggot can break through by playing academy football then surly michael smith should get à chance. He has been scoring goals in competitive league games. Thats better than academy games.

No wonder he's surly if he doesn't get a chance.
  • Sponsored links:

• He is an alternative to Yann, not a partner. If Sordell not going to get games, prefer a run by Pigott to Spongefoot. Aherne-Grant vs Oxford?
  • cafcfan said:

i don't play football manager so i don't know, but who has gone from league two class to championship level after 22. could you get 5 players?

And then there's Angel Rangel, who went from L1 to Premier League with Swansea and had previoulsy had a nothing career up to the age of 25/26.

er no, angel rangel was signed from spain mate, do you mean leon britton.
    btw, the point i was making is that i dont think that michael smith is good enough for the championship, i could be wrong but i think he is a bit too much like joe pigott.
  • cafcfan said:

i don't play football manager so i don't know, but who has gone from league two class to championship level after 22. could you get 5 players?

And then there's Angel Rangel, who went from L1 to Premier League with Swansea and had previoulsy had a nothing career up to the age of 25/26.

btw, the point i was making is that i dont think that michael smith is good enough for the championship, i could be wrong but i think he is a bit too much like joe pigott.
    Rangel signed for Swansea in 2007. Swansea were in League 1 in 2007.
  • Brian said:

I do wish these people would realise that giving players stick doesn't make them play better.

This.

• cafcfan said:

Majority of Norwich and Southampton players have played in League One as well.
  • So is Smith back?
  • DeeBee said:

So is Smith back?

Yup returned to the club today
  • Started for AFC at Daggers today ,I think this is his last game.
  • cafcfan said:

Or joe pigott is too much like Smith? I'd rather have Smith in the squad than Pigott.