Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Michael Smith - progress at Rotherham (p18)

Comments

• Granpa said:

Unfortunately none of us can influence Mr. Powell in his thinking. Perhaps he picked up a certain stubborness from a Mr. Curbishley.

Let's hope those aren't the only qualities he picked up and he picked up all the rest, wouldn't say it done Curbs any harm for us

• Pigott and Smith are chalk and cheese.
  • Pigott and Smith are chalk and cheese.

Could be a good combination then.

When everyone is fit Yann is still a class above anyone else we have. The issue is who plays alongside him.
  • he scored for us at Halifax, I know as I was there :)

terrible memory then as he come on and I believe assisted Pritchards goal but didnt score himself.
  • bring him back .. what's the point in loaning out a striker, no matter how many on here will opine: 'he's not ready, he's not good enough, he's too inexperienced, he's a fourth division player at best' etc etc, when the present crop of retained strikers are about as much use as a job lot of chocolate teapots. Give him and Pigott a chance or two. There is not a lot to lose .. we can't score less than nil goals
  • bring him back .. what's the point in loaning out a striker, no matter how many on here will opine: 'he's not ready, he's not good enough, he's too inexperienced, he's a fourth division player at best' etc etc, when the present crop of retained strikers are about as much use as a job lot of chocolate teapots. Give him and Pigott a chance or two. There is not a lot to lose .. we can't score less than nil goals

Agreed, bring him back now, at least have him on the bench, if iot don't work out at least we will know not to give him a contract.
  • In the present sittuation it would be worth playing Smith as the target man alomg side Kermy. It would take some of the weight of Jan, who has a good enough all round game to likely start scoring again if he has a big nuisance factor for defenders up along side him.
  • In the present sittuation it would be worth playing Smith as the target man alomg side Kermy. It would take some of the weight of Jan, who has a good enough all round game to likely start scoring again if he has a big nuisance factor for defenders up along side him.

Could work. Yet to be convinced Smith is good enough for the Championship but we've tried just about every other combination.

Could work. Yet to be convinced Smith is good enough for the Championship but we've tried just about every other combination.
    Yes exactly, assuming Smith is able to have an impact at this level yet.
  • There is only one way to find out, play him in the Championship.
  • Sponsored links:

• Might be a better call than playing Pritchard up front!
  • Charlton Athletic FC ‏@CAFCofficial 7m
    PRESSDAY: Chris Powell discusses the future of @smudga17 in this morning's press conference --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmWiRZ_MzG8&feature=youtu.be … #cafc
  • cant watch that at work but can anyone comment what he said? i personally would like to see him given a chance
  • I think it was wrong that we allowed him to play for Wimbledon in the FA Cup, so we cannot play him against Oxford.
  • Says he's coming back, our player, CP and Chapple have watched him and CP has spoken to him. AFC want to keep him but coming back to be "assessed" and go from there.

Loan has been a success for everyone. MS a couple years ahead in development from Joe Pigott.

May go back to AFC but we're going to have a look first before deciding.
  • I'd like to see Smith stay and Pigott go out on loan. Having said that, we can have all the forwards in the world, but if we can't create chances for them...
  • MS a couple years ahead in development from Joe Pigott.

Strange if Powell sees Michael Smith a few years ahead in Development if the loan wasnt the other way around - Maybe he'll come back and we'll compromise with AFC by offering Pigott?
  • would make sense wouldnt it,give him a few games,let pigott develop
  • Its a shame that Smith has already played in the FA Cup against Coventry as I'd say throw him in against Oxford for us but of course he's cup-tied now
  • edited December 2013
    Powell talks as though Smith were little more than a child, a mere beginner. He is just a few months younger than Sordell .. The Powell interview was a masterpiece of him evading the issue .. yes, he's our player, we'll assess him etc etc .. it still sounds to me as though Powell does not fancy him .. f f s bring him back and give him a chance .. Powell's innate conservatism and inability/reluctance to take a risk can be so annoying ..
  • Sponsored links:

• If Smith does come back i hope fans won't expect too much of him. Yes he has done very well at League 2, but it is at League 2 level. I have seem some of the goals he has scored and they have been well taken so am hopeful for him, but I wouldn't want to put pressure on him to perform immediately.

We might as well use Smith and send Piggott to Wimbledon to get some experience as i think he needs to develop in a less pressured environment and will come back better for it. Send Sordell back as well if we are not going use him and bring someone else in on Loan who Powell actually rates.
  • edited December 2013
    In today's SLP SCP says other L1 and L2 clubs are looking at him.I can't scan the article but this is his main quote.This seems a sensible approach to me. As others have said it is a shame he is cup tied.

'If Michael had been here he definitely would have had some minutes on the pitch for our first team.He has got very good feet,good awareness and he can score.He will come back and we will then assess it from there.The loan has been superb for him.He has had some moves before but being under Neal Ardley's management has done him the world of good'.
  • We've Barnsley / Bournemouth and Doncaster in January... Good fixtures to give him a chance
  • Powell talks as though Smith were little more than a child, a mere beginner. He is just a few months younger than Sordell .. The Powell interview was a masterpiece of him evading the issue .. yes, he's our player, we'll assess him etc etc .. it still sounds to me as though Powell does not fancy him .. f f s bring him back and give him a chance .. Powell's innate conservatism and inability/reluctance to take a risk can be so annoying ..

We must have been watching different clips.
  • cafctom said:

Powell talks as though Smith were little more than a child, a mere beginner. He is just a few months younger than Sordell .. The Powell interview was a masterpiece of him evading the issue .. yes, he's our player, we'll assess him etc etc .. it still sounds to me as though Powell does not fancy him .. f f s bring him back and give him a chance .. Powell's innate conservatism and inability/reluctance to take a risk can be so annoying ..

We must have been watching different clips.
    Thought that also, seems to me he's just desperate not to heap too much pressure on smith - he's not going to be our savior - might chip in and make a massive change to us but he won't be our savoir

• He'll come in like Jon Stead did at Blackburn and save our season.
  • edited December 2013
    he wont be given a chance here the useless mugs who boo youngsters will ruin him if he misses a chance or 2
  • Would be nice to see Smith back and Pig go to AFC Wimbledon
  • I have spoken to MS many times, including this pre-season in Spain.

He has a first class attitude, and wants to repay the faith that CAFC had in bringing him from Darlo.
    If he plays, and it works well, then brilliant - but I don't know whether he is ready for the Championship either.

The one thing I do know, is that when he pulls on that shirt - he won't hide, or flatter - he will graft, win or lose.

I can't say that about some players we have at the moment.
  • I dont undestand this, I would not play him above Church or Kermo. As a back up Sordell hasn't really had a good run in the side and he is proven. Keep him on loan till the end of the season in my opinion, although im all for giving Smith and Piggott the chance at the moment we haven''t got the luxury just need to play people with experiance, the safe option