Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Michael Smith - progress at Rotherham (p18)

Comments

• It would be a big mistake to let this lad go IMHO.
  • Get him back, send Piggott the other way on loan until the end of the season.

• Valiantphil Member
    November 27
    It would be a big mistake to let this lad go IMHO.

to right
  • i don't play football manager so i don't know, but who has gone from league two class to championship level after 22. could you get 5 players?

And then there's Angel Rangel, who went from L1 to Premier League with Swansea and had previoulsy had a nothing career up to the age of 25/26.

• We've spent 2 and a half years developing him. Give him a chance and as said get Pigott out on loan.
  • Scoham said:

We've spent 2 and a half years developing him. Give him a chance and as said get Pigott out on loan.

This
  • In these situations, the coaching staff tend to get it right 99% of the time, as they see a player all the time, and know what they are capable off. If Powell thinks he's good enough, he'll get another chance with us.
  • Izale Mcleod.

Scored for fun in the 4th division but did very little for us in the 2nd.

I'm not saying that would necessarily be the case with Smith but there is a leap in standard.

Trust in SCP.
  • And Chris Powell, who was playing in the lower leagues until he was 27 and ended up in the Premier League and with England caps
  • We let Michael Turner go at 20 to league 1. Moved to Hull in the Championship aged around 22 and established himself in the Premier League aged about 24.
  • Sponsored links:

• We let Michael Turner go at 20 to league 1. Moved to Hull in the Championship aged around 22 and established himself in the Premier League aged about 24.

How many Michael Turners have there been though...

Had we released 10 kids and they all had turned out like him then I'd definitely agree with your comment yet him and Danny Shittu are the only two in that category who spring to mind

And unfortunately at the time of releasing Turner we were an established Premier League side, we had a lot of plastic fans who wanted more and more success so would he have been given a chance by them (especially if hadnt have worked out)

And maybe if he had have stayed and have been a bit patient for longer would he have become the player he now or did Brentford really make him, i.e. had he stayed he could have ended up like Scott Parker at Chelsea wasting away for a period because he was only getting snippets of game time
  • edited December 2013
    Anyone know when his loan ends?
    Think I he could be a good shout to start helping to sort our goal scoring options.
    He's been scoring goals, in league 2, given, but with goals comes confidence and I think we're missing both them aspects in our team at the moment
  • Anyone know when his loan ends?
    Think I he could be a good shout to start helping to sort our goal scoring options.
    He's been scoring goals, in league 2, given, but with goals comes confidence and I think we're missing both them aspects in our team at the moment

He can be recalled from January and not before, that's the way it's been since he originally signed for AFC.

He's enjoying himself there as he's playing regularly but he's keen to fight for his place at Charlton. Currently he doesn't know what the situation will be in Jan.

• According to FM14 who normally get the loan lengths and stuff like that right due to inside researcher it expires 1/1/14
  • Can't be much worse than what we have surely. At least shows some sort of talent.

Id welcome back Akpo Sodje and Chris Dickson at the moment!
  • edited December 2013
    nichorob said:

• nichorob said:

Can't be much worse than what we have surely. At least shows some sort of talent.

Pull yourself together, nichorob !

Now you're being just plain silly !

• Smith is a workhorse. He will keep defenders busy, pull them all over the place, and provide service for others if they get in good positions. What he won't do is score a lot of goals, so don't expect too much in that respect. I like him and would like to see him in the team.
  • he scored for us at Halifax, I know as I was there :)
  • Sponsored links:

• Smith is a workhorse. He will keep defenders busy, pull them all over the place, and provide service for others if they get in good positions. What he won't do is score a lot of goals, so don't expect too much in that respect. I like him and would like to see him in the team.

He's scored a few for Wimbledon, decent goals too. Next to Yann hopefully one of them could take the goalscoring reign

• Him and Pigg - would be interesting.
  • I'm convinced he'll come back if the situation stays as it is - us being potless. He's scoring goals. Yes two leagues below but he must be full of confidence and feel like he's earnt himself a chance. As mentioned he's a big lad
    so lets get the ball in the effing box where he's going to cause some danger. Somewhere in this squad there's a team that's good enough to stay up. It's finding that right formula and ultimately that's down to Powell. I can tell you now playing Pritchard just off the striker is not it. Fingers crossed Smithy comes good or we get someone else in because there's only one place we'll be come may if not.
  • Redrobo said:

Him and Pigg - would be interesting.

No way would I start with both - too little experience, and a whole lot of pressure. Bring both/either off the bench as seems fit, and I do hope that one or both will cement a place in the team, but we saw from Wagstaff under Pardew and to an extent Callum Harriot what can go wrong with youngsters chucked in at the deep end.
  • thenewbie said:

Redrobo said:

Him and Pigg - would be interesting.

No way would I start with both - too little experience, and a whole lot of pressure. Bring both/either off the bench as seems fit, and I do hope that one or both will cement a place in the team, but we saw from Wagstaff under Pardew and to an extent Callum Harriot what can go wrong with youngsters chucked in at the deep end.

You could argue that Coventry have just thrown their kids in to some success, all be it in a lower league.
  • Pig is a better player. Suffered through playing in a side with no form and being asked to do an unfamiliar job. Multi-million pound player in the making. Need more kids to play. Thin squad is nonsense.
  • he scored for us at Halifax, I know as I was there :)

smith crossed low for pritchard to score at halifax mate
  • Difference between him and Piggott is probably experience, smith has been playing competitive games and scoring goals, if we have him back, I'd start him for the next game he's available and see what happens, none of this bring him on for 5 minutes lark
  • Unfortunately none of us can influence Mr. Powell in his thinking. Perhaps he picked up a certain stubborness from a Mr. Curbishley.
  • Piggott a multi million pound player in the making. Did make me laugh.