Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The further adventures of Viktoria Plzen

Comments

• Viktoria Plzen v Shaktar Donetsk
    #UELdraw
  • Viktoria Plzen v Shaktar Donetsk
    #UELdraw

Thanks MOG, thought the draw was tomorrow

Damn. The draw the fans wanted least of all. When polled, they opted for "local derbies" with either Salzburg or Frankfurt, both driveable, and instead have to go the very ass-end of Europe for a tough old game.

• A beautiful synergy. On Monday Charlton go to a tough ugly steel city, win 2-1 and get through to the last 8.

On Thursday Viktorka go to a tough ugly steel city, win 2-1 and get through to the last 8.

Love it.

Missed that second leg last night, and must admit that having seen the first leg where Shaktar were particularly slick going forward, I thought they would succumb. But as I ought to know by now, this is a team you write off at your peril.

Next up, Olympique Lyon. Anyone up to date with how they measure up as opponents?
  • Great news.

Lacazette and Gourcuff and Lyon's star men. Currently sitting 6th in the league, there are far tougher draws they could have got (Juventus, Napoli or Valencia to name 3) so hopefully the dream can continue!
  • If ever it was possible to be absolutely hammered and yet somehow win a game 2-1 then Plzen did it last night. Scored with their only 2 attempts on target and were absolutely battered. Plzen keeper had a blinder, defence blocked everything, Shakhtar hit the woodwork, also had a goal disallowed. Better team definitely went out but that's cup football for you.
  • If ever it was possible to be absolutely hammered and yet somehow win a game 2-1 then Plzen did it last night. Scored with their only 2 attempts on target and were absolutely battered. Plzen keeper had a blinder, defence blocked everything, Shakhtar hit the woodwork, also had a goal disallowed. Better team definitely went out but that's cup football for you.

He is only the stand-in keeper, one previous appearance all season ! First time Shaktar have lost at home in eighteen months, apparently. Gutted I missed it now.

• @PragueAddick‌ - Do Plzen have to play their league fixtures on a Sunday too?

It dawned on me last night that it probably would have done Spurs more of a favour if they actually went out last night as our March fixtures look like this now...

Sat - Chelsea (a)
    Thur - Benfica (h)
    Sun - Ars*nal (h)
    Thurs - Benfica (a)
    Sun - Liverpool (a)

Horrific and both Ars*nal and Liverpool dont have midweek games and are instantly at an advantage with a week of rest between their games!
  • @‌JohnBoyUK
    Sunday is actually the preferred day for the Czech league games, there isn't the strong tradition of "When Saturday Comes"...

Yep for Spurs its just a pain. Out here even the Europa League is a goldmine compared with the league, and if Viktorka had a 50k capacity they'd sell it instantly with fans from all over the country flocking to jump on the bandwagon.
  • @JohnboyUK welcome to our world - we have at least two, if not three, matches per week to the end of the season now. Only the oppo is literally in a different league...

We're seeing it as a positive - ready to roll...
  • Turning into a real Black Sunday. Viktoria away at Sparta are 1-0 down, and a man down. Doesnt sound much, but just like Charlton, they really haven't turned up. Sparta will be champions for sure after this. Viktoria lost their coach to the national team, and I fear this is the start of a decline.
  • Sponsored links:

• Aaaargh. 5-1 down on aggregate at half time to Lyon they have pulled it back to 3-5 and got a penalty on 70 mins. Horvath isnt playing so Tecl takes it - and hits the bloody post. Has the moment gone? probably...
  • Watched it. You should have heard the commentator explaining it was all done and dusted at 0-1. The usual French arrogance.
    Was a bit surprised ground was not packed. 3-0 was dreamable.
  • Shame about the penalty, wasn't it? They had a real head of steam up. I think it was just the away section that was not sold out. My buddy has a newborn though so he's not been able to offer us tickets
  • So here is a nice little "bad day at the office" story from last night's Czech Cup Final between Sparta Prague and Viktorka.

Milan Petrzelka plays wide right midfield for Viktoria. He has talent but often seems not to make the right decisions (like messrs Harriott and Sam). Last night he was one of the best players in an often dull game. Viktorka took charge in the second half and their 70th minute goal seemed to be enough, Sparta had hardly threatened. We were approaching the third minute of injury time - the amount to be played wasn't announced on TV, but you rarely get more than two minutes. One last Sparta attack down the left, the cross comes in and on the edge of the box, Petrzelka instinctively and inexplicably blocks it with both hands. Stonewall penalty. Sparta of course convert it, and he is distraught. But that's only the half of it.

The game goes straight to a penalty shoot out. Prochazka blasts Viktorka's first embarrassingly wide, but their keeper saves Sparta's third, and then we get all the way to spot kick no. 10. Who is the last Viktorka outfield player who hasn't taken one? Step forward Milan Petrzelka. He tries to place it wide right, but his shot is too weak, the keeper guesses right, and tips it round the post. Up steps the Sparta player to finish the job, they win the double.

Poor old Milan Petrzelka. He needs to have a word with Yann the Man.
  • There will be no further adventures for a while. Viktoria- Petrolui Ploiesti: 1-4 (2-5). Never saw that coming, they'd looked comfortable enough in the first leg. But the coach who built this team, Pavel Vrba, was nicked by the national team last season, and it looks like the new guy has lost the defensive organisation. I guess that's football. It goes up and down in eras, as well as match by match. They lit up the cold autumn nights with their European adventures, never been so cold at a match as the one against Napoli when it was minus 8. and never seen such epic celebrations in a pub afterwards.

Adrian Mutu scored 3 good goals over the two legs. Looks like he's kicked the habit.

Sink....
  • edited August 2014
    I'm a Plzen plucker
    A Plzen plucker's son
    I'm only plucking Plzen
    'Til the Plzen Plucker comes
  • They just conceded this classic finish:

https://streamable.com/zrje
  • Very good, certainly fooled the goalie.

• What a load of shite. Complete accident.

Me? Bitter?
  • How's they doing ?
  • Sponsored links:

• How's they doing ?

This weekend they are smiling as they've opened up a three point gap at the top after Sparta lost at Liberec.

They won't get out of their Europa League group though, after Rapid Vienna did the double over them. That was a bit hard to take, Czech teams have in recent years always assumed they could roll over an Austrian team easily enough.

But it will be an exciting two horse race for the championship and great if Viktorka can go into the winter break in pole position.

Hope you're doing OK too, MOG.
  • every time I see the heading of this post, I immediately think of, victoria coren mitchell and the delights of her breasts.

should I see a doctor?
  • every time I see the heading of this post, I immediately think of, victoria coren mitchell and the delights of her breasts.

should I see a doctor?

No, just book a weekend in Plzen.

All fantasies involving Victoria Coren will be banished.

should I see a doctor?

it's that bad or that good?

should I see a doctor?

The Viktoria fans have a song in which they assert that Plzen has 'the best beer and the best girls'. The first is definitely true. The second, well, there's a lot of competition. But put it this way, Victoria Coren would hardly merit a second glance. For example this is the Czech TV 7.00 news anchor...

should I see a doctor?

The Viktoria fans have a song in which they assert that Plzen has 'the best beer and the best girls'. The first is definitely true. The second, well, there's a lot of competition. But put it this way, Victoria Coren would hardly merit a second glance. For example this is the Czech TV 7.00 news anchor...
    Well I dont know about the football but she gets my vote. Cant say what I'm thinking cos i'd be edited out.
  • I hate this thread, it tricks me into thinking it's about an underwear model and it never is....
  • So the Czech team that showed Leicester how to do a Leicester, have done it again. Despite a wobbly start and a resulting change of coach, opting for a Curbs and Gritty type duo, they were back at the top before the winter break, with Sparta, the most well resourced Czech club tracking them in second place. This weekend they found themselves 5 points ahead of Sparta, with 5 games to go. And their game? Away to Sparta. Wanted to go, but the tickets were long gone for this showdown. A cagey draw would have done the trick but that's not the Viktoria way. 3-0, if you please. And in the process setting a new league record of 15 straight wins.

I don't think the Viktorka fans were singing "Leicester City, we're coming for you" last night but I'm hoping for a UCL campaign where they stick it to some big boys. This team also forms the backbone of the Czech national team, coached by Viktorka's now legendary former coach, Pavel Vrba. You have been warned....
  • edited October 2017
  • edited October 2017
    I opened this thread thinking it was about a hot European supermodel.

Disappointed.