Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Mark Gower is he injured

Is he injured or just not making the squad?. Haven't seen enough of him this season to judge his form, but looked Ok last season. Possibly we dont want 2 oldies (him and Hughes) on the bench and Cousins coming through has bumped him down the pecking order

Comments

• Think the simple fact is that he isnt as good as Stephens, Cousins, Jacko, Pritchard and arguably Hughes at CM. Seems mental now to think there was a debate going in in August of 'Gower or Stephens'.
  • From what was written here he was not brilliant at the beginning of the season and has lost his place and slipped down the pecking order, not injured AFAIK
  • He is rubbish and should never have been signed
  • Gower played 60 min for the U21s in the friendly against Watford last week.
    cafc.co.uk/news/article/20131120-u21s-report-watford-3-charlton-0-1185957.aspx
  • Nicholas said:

He is rubbish and should never have been signed

He's not rubbish. When he was initially here on loan he played well and you'd have had a hard time justifying picking Stephens over him as Stephens was seriously out of sorts. Also, Cousins had not made it into the team at that point and Hughes was still injured. Gower came in and did a decent job. Clearly Powell agrees as he signed him up permanently.

• danny777 said:

Gower played 60 min for the U21s in the friendly against Watford last week.
    cafc.co.uk/news/article/20131120-u21s-report-watford-3-charlton-0-1185957.aspx

I thought we were skint, where have we got the money for a time machine for Gower from ?
  • Still has a good football brain but his legs have gone.

I think he has already said that he will retire at the end of the season.
  • Was training with the subs from Tuesday night at the training ground yesterday. A waste of a one year contract (which we could ill afford) and he has stated he is hanging up his boots at the end of the season. Guess Powell and his crew were caught out by the rapid development of Cousins.
  • Still capable of doing a job so long as he has energy and pace around him for support rather than similar to himself.

As things stand though Stephens is doing his stuff so Gower will struggle to get in.
  • Gower can't make the team because Stephens & Cousins have emerged as our best players.

Even Mystic Meg didn't see that coming :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Seriously what has happened to him
    I would imagine based on he FM14 stats he is one of the highest paid players in our team
    if he is not going to be used sell him and spend the wages elsewhere
    I would imagine based on he FM14 stats he is one of the highest paid players in our team

don't worry about fm stats

he is not nor no where near our highest earner FACT

• Our marquee summer signing. LOL
  • edited January 2014

Seriously what has happened to him

To sell something you need someone who wants to buy it.

Whilst he looked ok last season Gower looked well off the pace in the games he played this year. He is not going to get in to the team in front of Cousins or Stephens and if we switch to 5 in midfield he still isn't getting a look in.

Doubt you will ever see him play for us again and there is a case for settling his contract and letting him go.
  • I can assure you paulie he is not take it or leave it but in this case FM is not correct
  • I think he will be one of the 3 to leave this week

don't worry about fm stats

he is not nor no where near our highest earner FACT

FM have an insider at most clubs to get that information correct I would not think they that wrong
    Wrong again. They have a fan who helps with that sort of info. @scoham does it for us I believe.
  • I can assure you paulie he is not take it or leave it but in this case FM is not correct

Ok so does that mean he is not on 6k a week or there are a few players on more than 6k a week
  • I thought he looked decent enough to have made some sort of contribution. I'm surprised we haven't been able to find any use for him at all.
  • Sponsored links:

• It wouldn't be right of me to say paulie,
  • I thought he looked decent enough to have made some sort of contribution. I'm surprised we haven't been able to find any use for him at all.

I suspect his money is linked to appearances. With that in mind we probably couldn't afford to pick him!

• what a huge waste of money whatever wages he was on. As most said it would be when he signed.

I suspect his money is linked to appearances. With that in mind we probably couldn't afford to pick him!
    So he's on paid gardening leave?

• not true either
  • I doubt we'll see Gower again this season either... Wonder if he'll retire at the end of the year or go to somewhere like Southend or Barnet one of his earlier clubs
  • Pauline don't be a jockey, basing assumptions on a computer game,what a plank
  • He looked short on pace last Spring and so was v surprised when CP purchased him in the summer but assumed that the manager had confidence that his 'legs' would improve during the preseason.

But sadly not and in hindsight a poor use of precious wage allowance at a time of financial famine not feast!
  • Read somewhere that he's hanging up his boots after this season. Can't remember where but don't think he'll be in the first team again.
  • JonnyK said:

He looked short on pace last Spring and so was v surprised when CP purchased him in the summer but assumed that the manager had confidence that his 'legs' would improve during the preseason.

But sadly not and in hindsight a poor use of precious wage allowance at a time of financial famine not feast!

Hindsight being the operative word.

Who could anticipate Stephens' considerable improvement or the extent of the success of Jordan Cousins before the season started?