Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Now defunct sayings

that are still in everyday use,
I like `Not enough room to swing a cat'

Comments

• Why is that defunct - we still have cats and we still have rooms.
  • On the bus/train - " Get up [insert child's name here] and let the lady sit down".
  • but we don't have flogging.
    The saying refers to the cat`o' nine tails.
    Unless you swing your cat around your head.
  • I'll give you a clip round the ear 'ol if your not careful

just wait 'til your father gets home

and don't forget to wash behind your ears before you go out

• 'Curbs could manage that premier league team'

• but we don't have flogging.
    The saying refers to the cat`o' nine tails.
    Unless you swing your cat around your head.

I think you're wrong, or it's at least open to interpretation.

From phrases.org.uk

"Whether the 'cat' was a real moggy or the flail-like whip used to punish sailors in the British Navy isn't clear. Many reports claim that the cat in question is the 'cat o'nine tails'. As so often though, they don't supply evidence, just certainty. As a candidate for folk etymology goes the 'cat o' nine tails' story has it all - plausibility, a strong storyline and a nautical origin. That's enough to convince many people - the actual evidence shows the theory to be highly dubious. The phrase itself dates from at least the 17th century. Richard Kephale's Medela Pestilentiae, 1665:

"They had not space enough (according to the vulgar saying) to swing a Cat in."

The nature of that citation makes it clear that the phrase was already in use prior to it being committed to paper. The 'cat o' nine tails' isn't recorded until 1695 though, in William Congreve's Love for Love:

"If you should give such language at sea, you'd have a cat-o'-nine-tails laid cross your shoulders."

If those dates are in fact the earliest uses then the 'cat o' nine tails' theory is wrong. The task for anyone who wants to claim that theory correct is to pre-date those citations. "

And QI said it wasn't the cat o'nine tails as well.

• So people used to swing their cats around then. You learn something new every day.
  • Rule of thumb.
  • Anything referring to Millenium Bug/Virus/Dome.
  • Whaaaasssssssuuuuuuupppppp
  • Sponsored links:

• "Did you tit her up?"
  • Itchy Beard

Bulge
  • Part of the punishment for a wrongdoer in the RN of the time was to fashion his own 'cat' which was inspected and then put safely into a bag.
    When the time for the punishment arrived, the miscreant was tied, his back bared, and 'the cat was let out of the bag'.

Just helping.
  • Not heard "Goodness gracious me" for a long time either

"Jesus wept" is still used though
  • Stiff, as in he's a stiff. Same goes for mallet
  • edited November 2013
    Excuse me. For some reason people now stand there saying "sorry" instead of excuse me when they want to get past you.

Sorry for what? I ask them.
  • The ****** in the woodpile isn't heard as much these days.
  • Sponsored links:

• Funnily enough many tourists I meet at work say "excuse me" instead of "sorry"
  • sam3110 said:

Funnily enough many tourists I meet at work say "excuse me" instead of "sorry"

Probably because they've been educated correctly in English unlike many of the filth who were born here.

• Calling someone a Joey (as in Joey Deacon)
  • One that sent shivers down my spine when I was a child... "I'll tell your mum what you've done"
  • one in the wood
  • I'm sure some of you would like to 'throw a spanner in the works' though. And having chewed it over, wash your mouth out with soap and water.
  • at loggerheads
  • PL54 said:

Calling someone a Joey (as in Joey Deacon)

'fraid that still gets an occasional outing in our house....
  • 'Copped off', as in "You'll never guess what, Adam Sutton copped off with Amanda Crosby in Zens last night".

This might be because I'm not 17 anymore, rather than it disappearing though.
  • I'll have your guts for garters