Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Martin O'Neill and Roy Keane

LOL, I wonder how long before they fall out.

Martin O'Neill and Roy Keane have been appointed as the Republic of Ireland coaching team on a two-year deal.
The Republic parted company with Giovanni Trapattoni in September after failing to qualify for the World Cup.
"I think I'm the bad cop and he's the bad, bad cop," O'Neill, who will take over as manager, told ITV.
"I'm honoured Martin has asked me to work with him," added Keane. "I'm looking forward to working with the players and getting to the Euros."

Martin O'Neill & Roy Keane appointments 'easy decision' - FAI chief executive John Delaney
The Republic's next fixtures are friendlies against Latvia on 15 November and Poland four days later.
O'Neill, 61, who won 64 caps for Northern Ireland, has been out of football since being sacked by Sunderland in March while his assistant Keane, 42, was dismissed by Ipswich in January 2011.
Keane gained 67 international caps, but caused controversy as captain of his country when he quit the Republic squad before the 2002 World Cup after falling out with then manager Mick McCarthy.
"I am very lucky to get another opportunity," Keane added. "I think I have deserved another chance to get back into football. It is great to work with Martin and hopefully we won't let anybody down."
Football Association of Ireland chief executive John Delaney told BBC Sport he and Keane had "an open conversation" when they met for the first time last week.
"I was very taken by him, I was very impressed by him and he was very passionate about a managerial role around this team," Delaney said.
"Martin wanted Roy as his assistant. I'm delighted with that, there is no problem whatsoever."
Delaney has confirmed that business Denis O'Brien will once again help to finance the salary of the Republic management as was the case during Trapattoni's reign.
O'Brien was believed to have contributed around half of the previous management team's salaries.
FAI chief Delaney also thanked Celtic's majority shareholder Dermot Desmond for "his very influential role in facilitating this appointment".
O'Neill began his managerial career at Wycombe and also had spells in charge of Norwich and Leicester before spending five years at the helm at Celtic.
Martin O'Neill's managerial record
Guides Wycombe Wanderers to back-to-back promotion in 1993 and 1994
Quits as Norwich City boss after six months
Wins the League Cup with Leicester City in 1997 and 2000
Wins the domestic treble in his first season in charge of Celtic in 2000-2001
Guides Celtic to Uefa Cup final in 2003
Takes Aston Villa to League Cup final in 2010, losing to Manchester United
Sacked as Sunderland manager in March 2013 after failing to win any of his last eight games in charge
He led the Glasgow side to the domestic treble in his first season and in 2003 took them to the Uefa Cup final where they lost in extra time to Jose Mourinho's Porto.
O'Neill also managed Aston Villa from 2006-2010 and led the club to three successive sixth-placed finishes. He spent 16 months in charge of Sunderland but was sacked after a run of eight games without a win left them one point above the relegation zone.
Delaney added: "Once Martin declared his interest, it became an easy decision to recommend to the board that Martin was the man."
The Republic reached the quarter-finals of the World Cup under Jack Charlton on their maiden appearance in 1990 but have failed to qualify since 2002.
Trapattoni, who was appointed manager in February 2008, guided the team to the finals of Euro 2012 but they lost all three matches in a difficult group with Spain, Italy and Croatia.
In World Cup 2014 qualifying they were beaten 6-1 at home by Germany and could only finish fourth in Group C, with 14 points from their 10 matches.

Comments

• Glutton for punishment. I like Martin O'Neill & rate him as a manager. Keane... hmm.
  • O'Neill is a great appointment, bit not so sure about Keane - ideally the assistant should be the 'good cop', not the psycho cop.
  • Is O' Neill really suited to international management ? Thought his forte was getting the players "right" leaving the majority of the coaching to others. Not sure he will work his magic only seeing players fleetingly. Also not sure that at the moment he has too much talent to work with. As for Keane well he's already proved he's a knob. Hope it works though.
  • a disaster waiting to happen
  • Didn't exactly look comfortable together talking about their roles last night on ITV...
  • After walking out on the squad during a world cup, Keane shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the national team........
  • Great appointments. Got pure passion from Keane.
  • Odd how many seem to be viewing this as a 'dual management' set up - its not. Keane is just the assistant and O'Neill will have the final say.

Not really sure if Keane is up to management at all personally.
  • Very strange appointment, O'Neil will be fine but Keane is the sort of bloke who could start a fight in an empty house.

You just know its only a matter of weeks before he sparks a huge row with the FAI because they have not arranged a practice pitch with grass cut to his exact 0.6" demands and they were not all flown in first-class with their own personal lap dancers.
  • Not a fan of O'Neill. Just seems to ramble in interviews and as a pundit, so i cant imagine he's that easy to follow as a manager giving out instructions.

Keane is just a knob.
  • Sponsored links:

• Agree with an earlier post - seems to have accident waiting to happen written all over it.
  • Well Keane famously called McCarthy an English C***, how long before O'Neill is a Northern C***, British C*** or Protestant (presumably) C***
  • Well Keane famously called McCarthy an English C***, how long before O'Neill is a Northern C***, British C*** or Protestant (presumably) C***

O'Neill is an Catholic so none of the above are likely!
  • Seen it described as 'trying to train cats with a dog strapped to your leg'.
  • They'll do a good job even though O'Neill is an Ulsterman. The Irish supposedly love a good craic and a good scrap, with these two, especially Keane, they will get lots of both from their football team and the management.
  • #whatcouldpossiblygowrong
  • O'Neill is a Protestant (presumably) C***

The clue might be in the name...

Personally I think they could be rather good, and MON has been smart by bringing Keane in. It sets a marker with the FAI, who are buffoons. Can't see what you can do with the squad of players, that achieves more than Trap did.

• "Keane gained 67 international caps, but caused controversy as captain of his country when he quit the Republic squad before the 2002 World Cup after falling out with then manager Mick McCarthy."

I hope the players treat him like he treated McCarthy. According to McCarthy, Keane spent most of his time locked in his hotel room, refusing to come out. McCarthy joked that his favourite food was ham (as it could be slid under the door).
  • I think we can safely say that when they travel away, the facilities at their team base will be top notch.
  • Roy Keane doesn't seem the type who can be an assistant, odd decision I think
  • Sponsored links:

• After walking out on the squad during a world cup, Keane shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the national team........

Agree with this, let his country down big time, now only take the job on to get paid. Wonder if the Irish are more forgiving than us Brits.
  • Don't really see what Roy Keane will ever bring to management. Especially as a number two.
  • Don't really see what Roy Keane will ever bring to management. Especially as a number two.

Keane has always been a gigantic number two.

• edited November 2013
    Irishmen in charge of Ireland. Scotsman in charge of Scotland. even England have got an English man . Weird
  • Keane the man is a complete arse after his antics in 2002. He was right to fight for the best facilities then, but the way he did it was appalling.

Keane the player is a legend for the Irish players currently in the squad and coming through and could yet be a masterstroke by Martin. Both schooled under Clough and I am sure that, if he is willing to listen and learn, Keane could yet become a very good manager. I sense though that there will always be frustration that the majority of the players he will be working with, just will never have the ability or will to win that he did and that will eat away at him.

I suspect that it could be a disaster, but I hope it works and it'll certainly be interesting to watch!
  • Surely one of them should have walked by now...it's been hours.
  • Think they are there as big names in management so when it goes tits up and they don't qualify for the euros, they can share the blame to the same degree. ROI don't have enough quality in the squad to succeed in the way people would like. Oneil and Keane won't change that. Keane will probably just be-little the players and dissolve any confidence they have.
  • edited November 2013
    With the expanded euro2016 format they should have enough quality to get there. Its 51 teams competing for 23 places ffs, they should manage that. Martin O'Neill is an excellent and vastly experienced manager and i think keane will know exactly what is expected of him and is a number 2 not joint manager.

This may well work and i think the fai decisions are improving. Getting rid of trap as soon as qualification was impossible in order to search and appoint a manager a year in advance before qualification starts shows Common sense and conviction. Not words you would associate with fai in the last 20 odd years.
  • Well I think we are all surprised it lasted this long. Probably over now, I bet a certain Mr McCarthy has a wry smile on his face, for "shit manager" at least he got ROI to a World Cup finals. Eh Roy?