Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

feeling old

Purely in a maturity and 'growing up' way, I finally feel old. Turn 23 in an hour or so.... Today it struck me how some younger people would now class me as 'old' and just how old I also feel, my body feels old now. My mind feels old, in generally I feel this is the first time I can truly say I am an independent adult, and this both excites and saddens me. Everything is real now, paying rent, shopping, doing the laundry, working full time, I'm living it, moving out of my parents in the summer was the major step, but having a birthday in my own place for the first ttime will be one of the last steps, along with Christmas day.

My question to you guys is, at what age did you feel you had fully matured, or are you still waiting for that day? What was it that made you think 'yes, I am fully grown up'?

Comments

• Ha, mate you've a lot to learn ! You'll say the feeling old thing about seven different times over the next 15 years. The two constants are 1. You'll be that bit older the next time you say it, and 2. You'll still act and think like a juvenile twat when you are pissed.

Happy birthday, enjoy and don't take life to seriously at 23. They'll come a time not.too long away when you'll have no choice but to.
  • 23? Lucky git!! Wish I was 23 again!! Happy birthday mate, make the most if these next few years.
  • The day I felt older was the day my daughter was born.

It's like a wave comes over you and you just act and think completely different.

I'm still pretty immature for a 29 year old tho.
  • Blimey , if you feel old at 23 then there's no hope for the rest of us! :-0

Responsibility , paying bills , being independent & standing on your own two feet etc is all part of 'growing up' and is too be encouraged.

I still don't think until kids came along (when i was 27) that i started to take life a bit more seriously , but the big thing i'd say is try not to get too stressed about small stuff that happens , try and stay calm and take a day at a time , don't worry about the future , or the past & enjoy the present.

Happy Birthday by the way Sam!
  • Having a grandchild helps....
  • edited October 2013
    If your body feels old at 23 then you're obviously not living right!

The 20's are the best years of your life. Make the most of them. They were mine.
  • Still talk about the things I will do when I grow up and I'm 55...
  • It's my birthday too.
    Must admit I only started feeling old when I joined CL.
  • At 67 I've still not grown up...I still roller skate and climb trees, foot ride Aldi shopping trolleys, snog my gf in public, grow my hair long, sing in the street and smoke a joint or too. I also pay my bills on time, treat as I find and generally have as much fun as I can. I am without grace, so if you want to be an idiot at any age just PM me and I'll send you the recipe :-)

ps. Happy Birthday mate.
  • I turned 26 a few months ago and it felt like bit of a 'shift' as I suddenly realized I was closer to 30 than to my teenage years.

It only feels like yesterday I was turning 23 too, it all moves so quickly once full time work begins and life is just seemingly shaped by routines day after day.
  • Sponsored links:

• 23? I was 23 erm, 23 years ago. You'll know what feeling old is when your back gives up on you and you stupidly thinking you can have a kick about in the garden with the kids for more than 5 mins before you need a sit down.

These days, the body shows every day of my age, my mind thinks I'm still a teenager and my intelligence is still at pre-school....................
  • I've never felt older ( obviously ) 45 next month . Your not born at 23 - he says in a patronising voice -
  • Can't say I've fully matured, but definitely feeling old. The thing that really did for me was discovering that a kid I taught in Year 7 is now an award winning Shakespearean actress
  • Happy birthday Sam (and Adrian) and happy Halloween, are you going trick or treating this year or have you grown out of it? Lol just kidding, but 23 is no age at all enjoy it whilst it lasts, especially if you are yet to have commitments such as children.
  • Curb_It said:

The 20's are the best years of your life. Make the most of them. They were mine.

Well that's not true for me, I've literally done f*ck all in the 3 years.
  • Curb_It said:

That's cos you're a f****** clown.

After a week of partying with 19/20 year olds I am certainly feeling my age, I wish I still didn't get hangovers! However, Laos is awesome!
  • Curb_It said:

I also took too long to realise there's a whole world beyond Charlton Nathan but trust me there is.
  • You'll think you're mature at 23 but then in 10 years time you'll look back and think "how immature I was then but look how mature I am now". The same will happen when you're 43 and 53 and that's when you realize you're just getting old and fuck this maturity lark for a game of soldiers. Then, if you're sensible, you'll really start living. :-) Happy birthday Sam.
  • Day after your 34th birthday. You are then closer to fifty than eighteen.
  • Wishing your daughter a happy 31st birthday today, knowing that when she was born you had turned 30 a few days before and where fit and healthy, bowling the quickest that you ever bowled in your life, scoring plenty of runs and enjoying life to the full. You had a bright future ahead.

When I pressed the send button a few minutes ago, this grey haired partially bald bloke, overweight bloke sat in a chair, with dodgy knees, knackered shoulder etc., thought back to that Halloween night and your post made me think am I old yet, no of course I'm not.

Happy birthday to you as well Sam
  • Sponsored links:

• We'll, I'm 58 and act the part when it is appropriate. But in my head I'm 19', 25, 32 or whatever, depending on what I'm doing and who I'm with.

Have a great birthday mate; celebrate and love your life.
  • I feel I've matured in the last five years, I'm 65 now and hope to be saying the same thing at 70. Starlings sort of line up on the brains wires and start to shriek 'What if' and 'If only'. Learning to disregard them is the true test of maturity.
  • Hi Sam, I am 76 now and I absolutely refuse to grow up. Attitude of mind is one of the most important features that you have, I still reckon I could score goals like I did as a young man, I still consider starting yet another business even now. If you think that you are old, you are. You have your whole adult life ahead of you, get some aims and ambition, never look back, I have made some rubbish decisions in my career but I don't mope about it. I had a decision to make, and I made it, sometimes it was wrong, sometimes it was right. I made a wonderful decision at the age of 17 that I had met the love of my life when she was 15. Now after 54 years of a fantastic marriage, having to survive the loss of my son at the age of 11, I will die the richest man in the World with a daughter and four adult grandchilren with whom I have enormously loving relationships. Get a smile on your face Sam, always look forward and go for it, it's a wonderful life !
  • edited October 2013
    At 52 I,ve always lives by the motto that you are never too old to have a happy childhood and I've had a blast (with only one or two setbacks along the way!)
  • edited October 2013
    Granpa said:

Hi Sam, I am 76 now and I absolutely refuse to grow up. Attitude of mind is one of the most important features that you have, I still reckon I could score goals like I did as a young man, I still consider starting yet another business even now. If you think that you are old, you are. You have your whole adult life ahead of you, get some aims and ambition, never look back, I have made some rubbish decisions in my career but I don't mope about it. I had a decision to make, and I made it, sometimes it was wrong, sometimes it was right. I made a wonderful decision at the age of 17 that I had met the love of my life when she was 15. Now after 54 years of a fantastic marriage, having to survive the loss of my son at the age of 11, I will die the richest man in the World with a daughter and four adult grandchilren with whom I have enormously loving relationships. Get a smile on your face Sam, always look forward and go for it, it's a wonderful life !

Great post Granpa. It is a state of mind. The problem for some of us that their mind is "in a state" but fantastic to read that, even through adversity, you manage to have such a positive outlook on life.
  • You'll really feel old when you can count more hairs from your nose than on top of your head.

20's for me,followed Charlton, left home, rented flat, lived with girlfriend, changed jobs lots of times, got married, bought flat, sold flat bought house, had fantastic holidays, got drunk a lot, then had a family.
    30s and 40s are generally highlight repeats of 20s by the time you get to 50 you'll find pensions really interesting.
    23, prime time of life.
    10 years gos in 5 minutes.

• Spent my 23rd birthday stagging on in Iraq. Couple of mortars thrown my way as a present from the nice occupants of Basra. Oh it was a joyus occasion.
  • The day I felt older was the day my daughter was born.

It's like a wave comes over you and you just act and think completely different.

I'm still pretty immature for a 29 year old tho.

Oh this all day. I've never felt more ancient. I can't move without groaning, I'm tired the whole time... still, at least you get to play a lot.
  • sam3110 said:

Purely in a maturity and 'growing up' way, I finally feel old. Turn 23 in an hour or so.... Today it struck me how some younger people would now class me as 'old' and just how old I also feel, my body feels old now. My mind feels old, in generally I feel this is the first time I can truly say I am an independent adult, and this both excites and saddens me. Everything is real now, paying rent, shopping, doing the laundry, working full time, I'm living it, moving out of my parents in the summer was the major step, but having a birthday in my own place for the first ttime will be one of the last steps, along with Christmas day.

My question to you guys is, at what age did you feel you had fully matured, or are you still waiting for that day? What was it that made you think 'yes, I am fully grown up'?

Not sure I have ever grown up. Whenever I see groups of youngsters out I seriously believe the girls all fancy me.
  • I agree with ValleyGary, the birth of my son made me feel much older!!! But at the same time I'm still a bit of a twat, even at 31. I think deep down most men will feel old but never fully grow up. We're a bit like Peter Pan I'm told.