Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Michael Smith - progress at Rotherham (p18)

Comments

• big pic of him celebrating his goal in the telegraph today
  • Doing all that can be expected of him - If he continues, Chrissy will want to give him more time - which makes sense really.
  • He looks like he could be a great forward maybe as a replacement to Kermo, But his loans have not been to the clubs of the same quality we are playing week in week out,Considering last year he went on loan to League one Colchester and only scored 2 in 8 and this year he has dropped a league tells me he is not ready I know he is one of the top scorers in league 2 but maybe needs another league 1 loan spell first.
  • He looks like he could be a great forward maybe as a replacement to Kermo, But his loans have not been to the clubs of the same quality we are playing week in week out,Considering last year he went on loan to League one Colchester and only scored 2 in 8 and this year he has dropped a league tells me he is not ready I know he is one of the top scorers in league 2 but maybe needs another league 1 loan spell first.

I personally think he's a better prospect than Pigott. He's done well. I wonder how well Pigott would do out on loan in League One or Two.
  • I personally think he's a better prospect than Pigott. He's done well. I wonder how well Pigott would do out on loan in League One or Two.

Joe would not thank me for it, but at the moment I think that swapping Michael and Joe would benefit everybody. Particularly if the new manager realised that if you play Joe off the shoulder of the last defender, he is full of goals.

You are probably right but Colchester struggled much of last season so 2 in 8 in a relegation threatened side where chances are at a premium is not as bad as it seems at first sight.
  • I am going to watch the wombles vs. Oxfors tomorrow so will feed back
  • I can't see him being retained if we are in the Championship (or higher!) next season. If we were in L1 though, he'd probably do a decent job for us...
  • Smith is a great crosser, probably the most accurate in the club.
  • LenGlover said:

He looks like he could be a great forward maybe as a replacement to Kermo, But his loans have not been to the clubs of the same quality we are playing week in week out,Considering last year he went on loan to League one Colchester and only scored 2 in 8 and this year he has dropped a league tells me he is not ready I know he is one of the top scorers in league 2 but maybe needs another league 1 loan spell first.

You are probably right but Colchester struggled much of last season so 2 in 8 in a relegation threatened side where chances are at a premium is not as bad as it seems at first sight.
    Agree, Len.

A struggling side is struggling for good reason - and lack of team confidence and other factors in the dressing room will make it difficult for a young inexperienced loanee coming in.

Let's also put it in further context: Smith made just 3 starts and 5 sub appearances for Colchester.
    In some of those games he wouldn't have played many minutes - but anyhow, 2 goals in 8 (1 goal in 4 as an average) is a typical ratio for most strikers.

And remember, Smith's game is not just about scoring goals himself - a big part of his game is support and assist for others to score.

• Sponsored links:

• Granpa said:

I personally think he's a better prospect than Pigott. He's done well. I wonder how well Pigott would do out on loan in League One or Two.

Joe would not thank me for it, but at the moment I think that swapping Michael and Joe would benefit everybody. Particularly if the new manager realised that if you play Joe off the shoulder of the last defender, he is full of goals.

New manager?
  • He's not a goalscorer though, he brings people into play. So don't worry about his scoring record (which is good IMO)
  • He's not a goalscorer though, he brings people into play. So don't worry about his scoring record (which is good IMO)

You're right, Danny. His trouble is that he does look like an old-fashioned No.9, and fans do tend to look at his goals scored record. He did create a lot of goals for Pigott, who is a more natural goalscorer, he is a real workhorse, and a handful for any defender. Nathan Jones knew how best to use him.

• smith needs to be given a start for us and see how he does. he is 22 we must be tough. if he fails in the 90 minutes we should accept he wont do it.
  • smith needs to be given a start for us and see how he does. he is 22 we must be tough. if he fails in the 90 minutes we should accept he wont do it.

That's just bollocks, no way should we judge him on 90 minutes. I agree he needs to start for us to judge him properly, but more than once. He's got to get a decent run if we are to get a full picture here.
  • Surely the management need to assess if they think he is good enough, rather than the suggested start him to see if he is good enough.

Right so you are gonna judge him on one game and that's it??? Complete nonsense.

• appreciate your decision is different to mine, but don't call it bollocks. it is not like he has never played or trained with us before has he. im just saying maybe we have to take a tougher stance, he is not a kid he is 22 and i know lots of people were getting on at stephens but he was amazing in the leicester game. maybe your right 90 mins is a bit harsh but we have to realise that he cant actually improve much more from now. he is already 22 and whilst he may get better, it won't be by much. i still stand by the fact we must be tough though since he is 22. if it was 2011 i would have said he should be given maybe a few years, well guess what, its 2014 in 68 days. 3 years, he looks good at wimbledon though. i could be way of the mark though since andy murray would not have dreamed of winning wimbledon aged 22
  • Scoham said:

Granpa said:

New manager?
    I read that as Joe's "new" manager at whichever club he goes on loan to. In this case, AFC.
  • appreciate your decision is different to mine, but don't call it bollocks. it is not like he has never played or trained with us before has he. im just saying maybe we have to take a tougher stance, he is not a kid he is 22 and i know lots of people were getting on at stephens but he was amazing in the leicester game. maybe your right 90 mins is a bit harsh but we have to realise that he cant actually improve much more from now. he is already 22 and whilst he may get better, it won't be by much. i still stand by the fact we must be tough though since he is 22. if it was 2011 i would have said he should be given maybe a few years, well guess what, its 2014 in 68 days. 3 years, he looks good at wimbledon though. i could be way of the mark though since andy murray would not have dreamed of winning wimbledon aged 22

This isnt FM, plenty of players improve tons after they are 22.
  • Sponsored links:

• i don't play football manager so i don't know, but who has gone from league two class to championship level after 22. could you get 5 players?
  • Hilarious

i don't play football manager so i don't know, but who has gone from league two class to championship level after 22. could you get 5 players?

Rickie Lambert? Ian Wright? Charlie Austin? Chris O'Grady? Chris Dagnall? Jamie Vardy?

And this, ladies and gents is why youth coaching in this country is down the shitter. No patience.
  • DeeBee said:

Hilarious

i don't play football manager so i don't know, but who has gone from league two class to championship level after 22. could you get 5 players?

Rickie Lambert? Ian Wright? Charlie Austin? Chris O'Grady? Chris Dagnall? Jamie Vardy?

After 22 I'd include Grant Holt, Bradley Pritchard and Dwight Gayle. Chris Dickson even scored against Championship opposition in West Brom so I guess we can include him as a player who made an impact in a single 90 minutes of play.

Others who made around 22 - Les Ferdinand, Kevin Phillips, Stuart Pearce, Stan Collymore
  • i don't play football manager so i don't know, but who has gone from league two class to championship level after 22. could you get 5 players?

Hundreds. Way before your time Young Jack but our own Colin Powell 70's, Paul Williams late 80's and of course Bradley Pritchard, immediately spring to mind who made an even bigger jump from non league.
  • And by similar logic, we should just get rid of Pigott. He had a poor ninety minutes against Milwall, clearly he is never going to make it, get rid... right?
  • edited October 2013
    thenewbie said:

And by similar logic, we should just get rid of Pigott the entire 11. They had a poor ninety minutes against Milwall, clearly they're never going to make it, get rid... right?

• Just put AFC 1-up v D&G.
  • Fully expect him back in jan and competing for a starting berth. Piggott to go wombles as replacement.