Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

World cup playoff draw

Portugal v Sweden
Ukraine v France
Greece v Romania
Iceland v Croatia

Comments

• So we avoided France (iykwim).
  • Bar iceland they all look very tricky.
  • Mmm Portugal vs Sweden looks v close and I cant split the difference but saying that Greece Romania and Ukraine France could be tight too.

But wouldnt every small nation love to see a cheap frozen food store get to Brazil and then be in England's group ;-)))
  • Think France should just edge it.
    Greece v Romania could go either way.
    Expect Croatia to beat Iceland
    Portugal tie is very difficult, especially them being away 2nd leg. In real danger of going out. Ronaldo v Zlatan, battle of the one man teams.
  • Fancy Sweden & France, don't know enough about the other 4 teams
  • I wouldnt rule out Iceland. Scotland done the double over Croatia.
  • True but Iceland lost to Cyprus and Slovenia
  • I wouldnt rule out Iceland. Scotland done the double over Croatia.

Watched both of those games and Croatia really didnt look great. They underestimated Scotland in Zagreb and I wouldn't rule out them making the same mistake against Iceland.
  • Tight tense games.
  • When are these due to be played? Will they be shown on ITV with the joys of Adrian Chiles?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2013
    As long as Portugal doesn't make it, I'm happy. Cheating bunch of #$%@'s. I hate them with a passion.
    Would be nice to see someone new as well (Iceland).

An interesting non UEFA playoff game is Mexico vs New Zealand. Doubt the All Whites can do it again. They would have had a chance against Panama, I reckon, but not Mexico.
  • Haven't Mexico been fairly poor in qualifying ?
  • Saulc23 said:

When are these due to be played? Will they be shown on ITV with the joys of Adrian Chiles?

The same nights that England play Germany and Chile next month.
  • JT said:

Haven't Mexico been fairly poor in qualifying ?

Yep, still, NZ needs a miracle in front of 105k at the Azteca. Was easier last time against Bahrain.

• Some great games I hope sky get hold of them
  • One world class player will be missing then..

Be nice to see Iceland win.

Think it will be:

Portugal
    Croatia
    France
    Greece
  • edited October 2013
    Sweden
    France
    Greece
    Iceland

To go through
  • Zlatan Ibrahimovic or Cristiano Ronaldo . Who's not going to the world cup? I have a feeling Sweden will win go through.
  • Shows what a great achievement it was qualifying
  • Danepak said:

As long as Portugal doesn't make it, I'm happy. Cheating bunch of #$%@'s. I hate them with a passion.
    Would be nice to see someone new as well (Iceland).

An interesting non UEFA playoff game is Mexico vs New Zealand. Doubt the All Whites can do it again. They would have had a chance against Panama, I reckon, but not Mexico.

Mexico are on their 5th coach in two months or something daft like that and only qualified because the USA scored two injury time goals against Panama the other week so you never know...
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2013
    Forgot to add that the team I play for in Copenhagen is made up of 80% Islanders so I really hope they get through to the Finals. They've done bloody well already when you consider the entire population of the country is around 400,000 which is less than Leeds!
  • Seen quite a few of the Mexico games living here in the States and they really aren't very good. (I have no idea what NZ are like though).

For a tournament perspective it would be great for Brazil 2014 if Mexico qualify.
  • edited October 2013
    DanDavis said:

Seen quite a few of the Mexico games living here in the States and they really aren't very good. (I have no idea what NZ are like though).

For a tournament perspective it would be great for Brazil 2014 if Mexico qualify.

New Zealand are worse I can tell you. That said they wont just allow themselves to be rolled over by the Mexicans (us kiwis are a proud race!). The home game in front of 40,000 noisy fans at Wellington's intimidating Westpac stadium "the cake tin" won't be particularly nice for them and if the "All Whites" can make their physical advantage count who knows what might happen?
  • Got to take the journey time into consideration too. It's a hell of a trip for both teams (home and away).
  • The 1st leg in the Azteca will be a lot worse for NZ though
  • The 1st leg in the Azteca will be a lot worse for NZ though

Too true!
  • Just read the report on the panama v USA game...they must be gutted!
  • Thank God we beat Poland and they didn't take their chances. I wouldn't be able to handle a playoff against the likes of France.

• Dave2l said:

Thank God we beat Poland and they didn't take their chances. I wouldn't be able to handle a playoff against the likes of France.

Me too , you look at that draw and think.... yep we missed a bullet there.
  • DanDavis said:

Seen quite a few of the Mexico games living here in the States and they really aren't very good. (I have no idea what NZ are like though).

New Zealand are worse I can tell you. That said they wont just allow themselves to be rolled over by the Mexicans (us kiwis are a proud race!). The home game in front of 40,000 noisy fans at Wellington's intimidating Westpac stadium "the cake tin" won't be particularly nice for them and if the "All Whites" can make their physical advantage count who knows what might happen?
    Do the football team do the Haka?