Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Nick Pope

On SSN that Nick Pope is being offered a new 3 year deal. Wonder why we brought in Ben Alnwick in that case. Seems odd as he is untested.

Comments

• He should have played in the League Cup, especially since he was Hamer's no.2 at the time. I'm not sure what Pope will do if he doesn't get loaned out, because Dillon Phillips is looking good in the U-21's.
  • Maybe another club is sniffing around, so we can call for a larger fee.
  • PaulCAFC said:

On SSN that Nick Pope is being offered a new 3 year deal. Wonder why we brought in Ben Alnwick in that case. Seems odd as he is untested.

Alnwick is only a 1 year deal, I presume Pope will go out on loan this season
  • Yes signed until June 2016, and over the moon to have signed
  • watched CAFC developement Vs Tonbridge Angels and was impressed by pope's commanding manmor good luck to the lad. i assume Alnwick was bought in to keep hamer on his toes.
  • Confirmed on the OS.
  • good lad
  • 'Charlon goalkeeper Nick Pope, who only signed a new deal earlier this week, is poised to join Aldershot on loan.'
  • Think there is something really there, was fantastic watching him make is debut against Bristol City and essentially kept himself a clean sheet on his FL debut. Would be sterling if he could be our #1 one day. The most vital thing any young player can get is experience, in particular goalkeepers.
  • His debut for Aldershot live on BT sport now
  • Sponsored links:

• Sounds like he earned them a point! Good Lad.
  • watched the whole game. assured and dominant under crosses, had practically no saves to make. but the first point is very encouraging
  • Leuth said:

watched the whole game. assured and dominant under crosses, had practically no saves to make. but the first point is very encouraging

Glad to read that. He's always seemed to me to be exceptionally quick to judge a cross.

• Is Pope the GK that is 6' 6"
  • 6 ft 5 according to the handbook. We released Conor Gough last year who is 6 ft 7.
  • Cheers Scoham.

Must of been thinking of Gough
  • Pope secured his first football league clean sheet tonight as York drew 0-0 at Morecambe.

• A goalkeeper with a link now to both Charlton and York. Hopefully he will be as good as the other two with this link.
  • he should be recalled if Hamer's injury is going to mean that he misses a game or three
  • Officially recalled.

Ankle ligament damage for Hamer.
  • Sponsored links:

• This should please the Hamer Haters on here, lets see if they get what they wish for?
  • Looks like he is returning to the Minstermen.

On Twitter

Pete O'Rourke ‏@SkySportsPeteO 24m
    Charlton goalkeeper Nick Pope is poised to rejoin York City on loan. #CAFC #YCFC

• Richard J said:

Looks like he is returning to the Minstermen.

On Twitter

Charlton goalkeeper Nick Pope is poised to rejoin York City on loan. #CAFC #YCFC

Good! Football league football is what he needs! I was gutted when he was recalled because I like it when youngsters do well.
  • Richard J said:

Looks like he is returning to the Minstermen.

On Twitter

Good! Football league football is what he needs! I was gutted when he was recalled because I like it when youngsters do well.
    lol! Am a bit gutted him going out on loan as would have been good to have seen him against Oxford - Still we've two good first team goalies so that match needs to be used giving the other (Hamer) a run out
  • Reportedly gone to York on loan for the rest of the season.
  • edited March 2014
    Pope seems to be doing really well at York. Wyn Grant's blog unearthed this article :

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/sport/11078059.Nick_Pope_staying_put_to_keep_up_York_City_surge/

YORK City’s on-loan goalkeeper Nick Pope would not welcome a recall from parent club Charlton with ten games of the Sky Bet League Two campaign to play.

The Championship club parted company with manager Chris Powell this week and swiftly appointed former Standard Liege boss Jose Riga as his replacement.

Bottom-of-the-table Charlton are currently in the midst of a relegation battle but there has been no suggestion that Riga intends to summon Pope back.

Even though the Addicks allowed former Tottenham shot-stopper Ben Alnwick to join Leyton Orient during the transfer window, Ben Hamer and ex-Liege net-minder Yohann Thuram-Ulien are still fighting for the first-team gloves.

Pope was left frustrated in November when his first loan spell with the Minstermen was cut short after just two appearances following an injury to Hamer.

It is a situation he wants to avoid happening a second time and Pope said: “I hope I won’t be going back again. I’ve spoken to people down there and there has been no indications that will be happening so, fingers crossed, it will stay like that and I can stay here until May.

While Charlton have been embroiled in a Championship dogfight for the whole season, Pope has witnessed City climb from the lower regions of League Two to a position two points outside the play-off zone during his second stint.

The 21-year-old shot-stopper is now targeting a tilt at those top-seven positions and believes the key to a successful challenge will be staying in the frame come the beginning of April.

He added: “If somebody had mentioned the play-offs two months ago, then people would have laughed but, now we are in the position we are in, we have got to give it a right go.

“We are taking everything one game at a time but we will have to see where we are with five or six games left and go from there.”

Pope has only conceded one goal in the last six matches and kept seven clean sheets during a dozen outings. He is a member of a back five that has remained unchanged for seven games and, on the team’s miserly form, Pope admitted: “We’re having great times.

“We are on a really good run and doing really well as a back unit so I am enjoying my football.”

The performances of the defence in front of him have meant Pope’s shot-stopping skills have not always been required in recent matches - he did not face a single on-target attempt during last weekend’s 1-0 win at Wimbledon - but the ex-Aldershot and Cambridge loan man has relished the number of crosses into his box, delivered by a clutch of direct opponents.

“Helping out the defence where I can is something I enjoy doing,”

Pope pointed out. “If that’s not always through saving shots, there are other bits of goalkeeping and coming out for balls in the air is a big part of the game.

“It’s also one of my strengths so I am happy to do it and the more high balls you come for, the fewer shots you will face, because you are cutting the ball out at an earlier stage of the attack.”

Pope’s performances have meant the long-serving Michael Ingham has spent the last two months on the bench and the 6ft 5in youngster is in no mood to surrender his starting place during the final seven weeks of the season.

He said: “I want to play every game right to the end of the season and see where we are come May 3.

Michael’s a great goalkeeper who has been here a lot of years and done really well so, to have somebody like that pushing you, keeps you on your toes and that’s really good for me.”

Pope also feels he is benefitting from working closely with City goalkeeper coach Andy Collett - the man who helped transform David Stockdale from Bootham Crescent reject to future England squad member.

“I am loving working with Andy,” Pope revealed.

“When you go out on loan, part of the experience is training with different coaches and Andy is probably the best goalkeeper coach I have had out of all my loans.”
  • York are playing at Rochdale on April 5 and we intend to go watch them, so I'll report back on how he does.
  • York are playing at Rochdale on April 5 and we intend to go watch them, so I'll report back on how he does.

Look forward to it - I think he's got a lot of potential - maybe more than Poyet ;-)

• York & Pope have conceded 1 goal in their last 8 league games

• Another clean sheet. Into the playoff positions for York.