Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Seems very harsh and quite odd too taking into account the circumstances and the nature of Peter's role.
    But this from the NS article:
    "Labour councillors and workers are discouraged from speaking to other newspapers,..."
    That makes it sound as if this is in some way unusual and draconian. It isn't and the NS would know that very well.
    Almost all large organisations, whether private or public sector, have very strict rules about NOT communicating with the media in any circumstances whatsoever unless you first get specific say-so from the Press Office. This is for an obvious reason - people acting in the best of interests end up getting themselves and their employer screwed by the media if they don't have a professional holding their hand.
    It would be entirely normal to get a final warning for one such misdemenour and sacked for a second offence.
    But, setting that aside, it seems Peter was (a) not an employee but a contractor and (b) not sacked but told they wouldn't be using his services any more. Semantics, I know, but quite relevant, particularly without a copy of his contract to hand.
  • edited August 2013
    It is very unusual - and frankly daft - for councillors to be discouraged from speaking to local newspapers.

As far as council officers are concerned, overtly party political comments would be inappropriate. But non-party comments about things outside the council's jurisdiction and/or area would not normally be restricted.

And let's not forget that a Greenwich planning officer was active in the campaign against The Valley, producing and distributing a leaflet encouraging opposition. Greenwich argued this was legitimate because he was also a local resident.

Whether Pete has indeed been "sacked" is likely to be a technical argument that would be difficult to explore here. But the council has duties to act reasonably and unless it can show breach of contract I would think it is on dodgy ground. It can't allocate work on the basis of whether it likes people's personal opinions unless it can show they would impinge.
  • A disgrace that somebody should be sacked for expressing an opinion about an issue local to them in a free society.

At the risk of being shouted down no surprise to me though really as one of the modus operandis of the authoritarian left is to stifle debate in my opinion and has been for many years.
  • LenGlover said:

A disgrace that somebody should be sacked for expressing an opinion about an issue local to them in a free society.

At the risk of being shouted down no surprise to me though really as one of the modus operandis of the authoritarian left is to stifle debate in my opinion and has been for many years.

No you have a point Len. All I would say is that the other lot are no better now. Fag paper between the main parties on almost everything these days.
  • This is absurd. I also live in Lee, and especially as a borough resident went on the march for Lewisham Hospital, as well as writing letters to the authorities involved. In as much as CL is a 'publication', I have also posted here about the hospital issue. I regard my actions as reasonable and legitimate because of where I live. Unless I worked for the people involved in the decision, the politicians, or trusts or whatever, it is not only my right, but also my duty to get involved in local issues.

If Peter Cordwell, who is in every way a good bloke, is being punished as a local resident, for writing to a local paper, about a local issue, then Greenwich Council are more nasty than I thought, and I have always thought of the Greenwich local authority as deeply flawed, not least because I worked in the borough for 25 years.

This is pathetic in the extreme, and I almost want to despair.
  • edited August 2013
    Sad to hear, clearly an ulterior motive in play.

All the best of luck Peter if you're reading.
  • LenGlover said:

A disgrace that somebody should be sacked for expressing an opinion about an issue local to them in a free society.

Come on Len, surely there must be an EU angle in there?

Are you really putting your best work in here?
  • Hope things turn out okay Peter.
    People on Twitter talking about this.....

Clare Griffiths ‏@clogsilk
    Surely Private Eye have to do something on Greenwich Council now? Bonkers stuff coming out every day. http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/10631143.Greenwich_Council_sacks_employee___for_writing_Lewisham_Hospital_letter_to_News_Shopper/
  • edited August 2013

LenGlover said:

Since you ask :-)

http://www.wlga.gov.uk/wlga-europe

70% of legislation comes from Brussels according to the Welsh Local Government Association so perhaps there could be.......

• LenGlover said:

LenGlover said:

Since you ask :-)

http://www.wlga.gov.uk/wlga-europe

You never let me down Len, we may not agree but you are indefatigable!
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2013
    There are also some interesting things going on in Bexley regarding public access to and reporting of council meetings, with the police getting involved, which given the large Tory majority I don't think can be put down to the authoritarian left ...
  • A few of us were removed from a Lewisham meeting awhile back: Its almost as if these people WE voted in, and pay THEIR wages, want to do things that we will not find out about until its too late.
  • There are also some interesting things going on in Bexley regarding public access to and reporting of council meetings, with the police getting involved, which given the large Tory majority I don't think can be put down to the authoritarian left ...

I certainly wasn't implying, or intending to imply, that the Tories (or Lib Dems for that matter) are any better. Greenwich was the council in question though hence my comment...
  • Greenwich Council are continuously embarrassing themselves. Sulk like babies.

http://853blog.com/2013/08/06/the-gilligan-files-greenwich-councils-cycling-sulk-revealed/
  • Really sad to hear this. Greenwich council are a complete disgrace. A good bloke and the best football coach i had. Peter coached a very sucessful Eltham Town team in the early 90s that included Rio Ferdinand. All the very best to you Peter
  • I can't believe anyone is surprised at the actions of Greenwich Council, it is an utter disgrace
  • A few of us were removed from a Lewisham meeting awhile back

Keep your clothes on in future you perv
  • LenGlover said:

No you have a point Len. All I would say is that the other lot are no better now. Fag paper between the main parties on almost everything these days.
    The arrogance of power, Algarve. The problem with Greenwich I think is not that it is Labour, but that it hasn't been anything else for ages.

We're going to have to return home and sort them out all over again, mate :-)

• Another job lose another bunch of theories. Has anyone ever lost their job for not being very good at it or actual misconduct (past Charlton Managers aside)?
  • edited August 2013

There are also some interesting things going on in Bexley regarding public access to and reporting of council meetings, with the police getting involved, which given the large Tory majority I don't think can be put down to the authoritarian left ...

We also have problems here in Faversham. The police were called to deal with a film maker who was taking footage in the street. We are trying to stop developers and the local Tory councillors turning our historic Thames barge quayside into housing and restaurants. It really is incredible the lengths they will go to to try and silence us. Just don't let any of them get away with it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Is there something in the water on South East London at the moment ?
  • LenGlover said:

Ha ha! Not the nazis this time then Len?
  • LenGlover said:

The arrogance of power, Algarve. The problem with Greenwich I think is not that it is Labour, but that it hasn't been anything else for ages.

Those were the days mate! :-)
  • LenGlover said:

Those were the days mate! :-)
    You've got enough problems with bureaucracy to sort out where you are Perry before you start sorting things here.
  • LenGlover said:

Good and fair point but then look at what Bexley do as well and they swing just as far in the other direction. Lets face it its each and every one of them are at it including where I usually sit, just to annoy you all right in the middle on the fence.
  • Many thanks for the best wishes. As with much that's going on at the club at the moment and in society generally, I think that all people of goodwill - left, right and centre - have got to get up and be counted on issues as they crop up. It certainly seems that the lackeys we all meet in our jobs have never been keener to support the bullies who run their lives. Last year I was invited to go onto the pitch at the Back To The Valley anniversary. It would have been one of the proudest moments of my life but there was no way I would do that without Airman Brown. Integrity has got to be the key.
  • Boxer said:

Many thanks for the best wishes. As with much that's going on at the club at the moment and in society generally, I think that all people of goodwill - left, right and centre - have got to get up and be counted on issues as they crop up. It certainly seems that the lackeys we all meet in our jobs have never been keener to support the bullies who run their lives. Last year I was invited to go onto the pitch at the Back To The Valley anniversary. It would have been one of the proudest moments of my life but there was no way I would do that without Airman Brown. Integrity has got to be the key.

Amen and Awomen to that. Well said Boxer, I'm in total agreement with you, I don't care what Political party people are from , it is as you say about integrity. All the very best to you.
  • May I attest to the fact that Peter is an absolute top bloke, a really first class gent?

I used to play cricket with top him for Marvels Lane Cricket Club - we never won a single game - and Peter was our swashbuckling middle order batsman and made most of our runs.

He was accompanied in the middle order by Kevin 'KP' Nolan who had the attitude of KP but the batting skill of the Nolan sisters!

Peter is a very annoying chap actually, ex-pro footballer, great sports writer, acerbic wit and decent cricketer too, one can only hope the Almighty short changed him in the trouser department!

All the best mate!
  • Perhaps another one for airman to add to the voice staff?
  • I remember Peter Cordwell when he played for Penhill Standard. How he never made the top flightbis beyond me. Terrific and unassuming young man in those days.