Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Being in the right place at wrong time

Went with the missus to Folkestone at the weekend. Did not realise that it was the Ska, Reggae and Bluebeat festival.
Every pub on the front was rammed with just as many people outside as in, music booming out with the sounds of The Specials, The Beat, Prince Buster etc.
The atmosphere was brilliant, I can only liken it to a big away day with the sun shining.
The only drawback was that we took my 89 year old Aunt with us. So there she was being dragged along in her mac with her walking stick and looking completely horrified.
I asked her if she wanted a trilby and a Specials T shirt so she would fit in. So ungrateful these older people.

Comments

• I'm guessing that's the Skabour Festival (unless it's changed it's name)? Played there a few years back and had a really, really good time. Smashing atmosphere.

I remember trying to get my photo taken with the most beautiful ice cream selling girl (by pretending to be foreign and spinning her a tale of there being no ice cream in my country), to no avail.
  • Lovely story, Pettgra. I've been into the Canterbury Scene of music since the early 1970s, and about 15 years ago I took my mother, who was then aged 75, to see Caravan of Dreams play in a park in that fine city. She appreciated the music, and after the gig I introduced her to the band, who were kind and gracious. After then, whenever I played a Caravan CD at my Ma's house, she nodded approvingly and tapped her walking-stick in time with the music.
  • Cheers guys. Yes it was the Skabour festival. Must go again, maybe send Aunt somewhere more sedate. I think she is still in shock.
  • Love Ska. I used to work at the Ska Bar club in Spray Street, Woolwich around 1967. Great days.
  • Tootenskamen are playing at the DA5 club in Bexley this Sunday.
  • It was cracking ! Great atmosphere, should have sent your Aunt to Hythe in a taxi.

Last year my flat was opposite to where it was right on the seafront, was perfect.
  • JT said:

It was cracking ! Great atmosphere, should have sent your Aunt to Hythe in a taxi.

Last year my flat was opposite to where it was right on the seafront, was perfect.

Yes I should have. She cost me a fortune in lemonade.
  • Tootenskamen are playing at the DA5 club in Bexley this Sunday.

Cheers for that. I might just do that, seems a good way to start the Bank Holiday.