Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Leasing a car

edited May 2009 in Not Sports Related
My car has finaly given up on me and I was thinking about leasing a car.I was wondering if anyone had had any good, or bad experiences regarding leasing?

Comments

• Speak to DA9 mate he might be able 2 help u
  • Heroin_Addick works at a car lease company which are pretty good, moving this weekend and he's sorted us a van out. If you want I can whisper you his number and might even be able to give you a better price if you mention CL.
  • Used a company called Lings....she is mad, but top quality and will bend over backwards to sort you out a deal

www.lingscars.com
  • [cite]Posted By: TelinOz[/cite]she is mad, but top quality and will bend over backwards to sort you out

How much per hour?
  • Have been offered a good deal I think and just wondered what leasing is like ie when you return the car etc etc
  • When its returned it will be inspected......they will charge for any dents or scratches mate, so have the car valetted and get a dent repairer to pull out anything obvious. Beware though, if you dont they will deduct the costs directly from your account, and then its an uphill battle to get your money back.
  • Cheers for the advice will prob go for it as like the idea of a warranty as had no luck with cars lately!!
  • better to go for a non maintenance contract too.....Lings have a few 1 year contracts come up....which is great as you can change your car every twelve months
  • [cite]Posted By: TelinOz[/cite]When its returned it will be inspected......they will charge for any dents or scratches mate, so have the car valetted and get a dent repairer to pull out anything obvious. Beware though, if you dont they will deduct the costs directly from your account, and then its an uphill battle to get your money back.

See if they do a damage waiver, we reduce excess to a minimum of £150 for £5 per day, some companies will wipe your liability to £0 if you pay a certain amount up front, ask them, could well be worth it in the long run. (little tip, when they do an existing damage check with you when you pick it up, if they dont, insist on one, if its raining or the car is wet etc, make sure they dry the bodywork down first, scratches and dents can be missed otherwise)
  • BDLBDL
    edited May 2009
    I've been looking into this as well.

Does the price you pay include:
    Insurance
    Tax
    Servicing?
  • Sponsored links:

• Has anyone had recent experience in leasing? We need a second car and are looking for a small hatchback. After browsing the net it seems you can lease for about £150 a month. Just wondering if any lifers have any advice? Thanks.
  • edited July 2013
    BDL said:

I've been looking into this as well.

Does the price you pay include:
    Insurance
    Tax
    Servicing?

I know this was 3 years ago but sod it. Servicing can usually be sorted out with a package they sometimes do, an extra £10 a month for example on top of the lease price. Insurance and tax won't be covered.

If you're looking for a good deal, Ford do Options, where you don't have to put a deposit down (if you do, the more you put down the less your monthly payments are. A lot of new cars are only £20/30 a year tax too.
  • I've had 2 cars now via leasing. I'm never ever buying a car.

The first one was a brand new peugeot 107 - best car ever! tax of £35 a year, £40 full tank of petrol, cheap insurance, nippy little thing. loved it. After paying £140 a month for 3 years (with no deposit) we could either pay off the balance, give it back or upgrade. We agreed the price when I took out the deal, and also agreed to not go over the agreed mileage (this was up to me to decide). There were a couple of minor scratches from when I had a tight squeeze down a country lane with a spiky bush (!) but because I was upgrading, they barely inspected the car, and I assume just wanted to tie me in to a new deal for another 3 years.

I chose to upgrade and got a brand new peugeot 206. more expensive/powerful etc, but for £176 a month. Had it just over 2 years, and not had a problem with it or any additional cost except for insurance/tax etc. I agreed 6k mileage a year, and have just done 7k in 2 years so, don't use it perhaps as much as I could, but have moved house and don't need to make so many short journeys as walk more now!

I'd recommend it to anyone. We did shop around between cars and look at the same sort of deals for Ford, Citroen, VW etc, but Peugeot did the best deal with no requirement for large deposit up front etc (didn't want to do that as was never going to buy the car outright) and the guy was recommended to me by Suthers when I worked at CAFC, and this guy is a Charlton fan at the dealership in Sidcup.

I often hear friends say their car failed it's MOT or cost so much for new parts, and feel thankful that I do it this way.

• Btw be careful with mileage. If you do go over your agreed mileage it is usually at the cost of 30p a mile. However that soon adds up.
  • I'd never thought of leasing a car before. Since my divorce, having a car hasnt really been an option as I'd never be able to afford to buy one but for £140 a month, that really is an option. Am so glad I opened this thread, has given me some much needed food for thought :)
  • Ross said:

the more you put down the less your monthly payments are..

And the less you're likely to get back when you return the car.

Leases are fine if you have regular income and you don't want to save up to buy a car outright but they are murder to get out of. Everyone I know that has ever had a lease has always had trouble with the deposit. Cash is always king, especially when a car dealer is concerned.

You've also got to consider the different types of lease; PCH, PCP, HP etc. At the moment car manufacturers are so desperate for sales there are some seemingly good deals to be had but always be careful of the APR if you go down the PCP/HP route.

Excess mileage on a lease can be as expensive as a normal hire car. With other types of leases it can be a lot less and a lot more flexible.
  • It's great John, I'd never be able to afford a brand new car, but this is a way of doing that, so you never have a car of MOT age that starts to go wrong. The little 'super mini' cars are great too, so cheap to run. 107, Citroen C1, Toyota Aygo (same as the 107 with a different badge!) Kia Picanto etc, wish i'd have got a new 107 instead of upgrading to my bigger car. surprising how much room is in them. My one had air con and electric windows too and metallic finish and alloys as it was special deal from a special City Edge range, but sometimes the cheapest price is the most basic model.
  • I lease mine, handed my last one back and didn't have to go through the hassle of being ripped off selling and basically picked up a brand new one.
    It's just so much less stress to me and I'm very happy with the arrangement
  • Glad that this has been resurrected. What happens when you hand back a car and it's got dents, scratches as most cars have after time?
  • I've got my company car on contract hire. I even got to collect it from the showroom in Stuttgart and got a full tour of the Mercedes factory (brilliant weekend I must say) then drive it back across Europe.

One thing to watch for is servicing. Mine is meant to be about £950 for a service but I get it done locally for half of that at an approved garage - strongly suggest you don't get that included in your deal.

Excess mileage is something like 6or7p a mile I think but I put in plenty of excess to cover that as the monthly change is really not that drastic.

I must admit I would look to do it again when we get a new car for wifey as it does seem to take a lot of the hassle away - not so sure about my next company car though as tax is a absolute bastard
  • Sponsored links:

• I have a PCP arrangement. The after sales is great and the excess mileage is only 6p per mile although I fixed at a sensible level so I'll be fine. First time I've done it after a life time of buying cars and I entered into it with some trepidation but so far so good I have to say. Not a good idea if you have to give it up before you are 18 months to two years in so perhaps best not to do if you are in an insecure position.
  • BDL said:

Glad that this has been resurrected. What happens when you hand back a car and it's got dents, scratches as most cars have after time?

You get a little booklet from them that usually explains what they will allow as "wear and tear" and what they would want repairing.

Then - take it to DC Autos in Crayford and ask for Danny. He'll do you a decent price to get the bare minimum done and bob's your uncle

• Interesting that this thread has come up as I am finally thinking it might be time to give a free transfer to my old Peugeot 406 which has given me sterling service over the years.

Audi has got some amazing deals on at the moment - see http://www.audi.co.uk/explore-models/latest-offers.html
    I'm also sorely tempted to go down the PCP route - unless I'm missing something - am I?- you can pick up a 2 litre Audi A4 for a deposit of £1275 and then 36 monthly payments of £299. OK in 3 years time, you either hand it back or buy it but to have a new car for such a small deposit and not outrageous monthly payments has got to be worth considering.

Like others, I'd be interested to know if you give the car back, does the garage try and screw you for scratches, wear on the seats etc.
  • Right, so we have one place to go, any other options?

Anyone used Leasing Options? (www.leasingoptions.co.uk)
  • If you do this can you trade in your old car to them? Interested in this but not sure about what the pitfalls are.
  • Yes. As part of the deposit usually. However they very often won't give you anywhere near the value of the car, so it may be better selling it privately.
  • Glad others are thinking I doing the same. Hippo leasing are doing a vauxhall corsa for £130 a month. I'd prefer to use a fairly local company so I have someone to go back to.

• I've never leased, so the concept is not really one I'm familiar with. (Other than dealers try to push it as an option which means that there must be a lot of money in it for them somewhere.)

So, my question is, is it not better to seek out a 0% HP deal?
    Here's one I found at random on the Vauxhall site:
    ADAM JAM 1.2I (70PS)

Only £179 per month with £3,063 deposit, over 48 months

Exterior colour: Red 'n' Roll (solid paint)
    Urban Pack
    - Multi-colour Interior Light Pack
    - Chrome Pack
    - Exterior Light Pack

Presumably, you use your old motor as deposit? Now, I know you're paying back over 4 years rather than three. But the car is yours after 4 years. (And don't Vauxhalls have a lifetime warranty now?)
  • Like I said above, no probs with scratches for me as got another one with them. They may have been more bothered if I was walking away. Also I went with my mum, and felt we achieved a lot more than if I'd have gone with my dad for some reason! I was the sole driver of the car too.

I wouldn't do it with an independent company, and would only through the main dealerships personally. although independents may offer great deals, there are all kinds of hidden things and the main dealerships can't get away with stuff like that and its easier to do the research into the deal etc.
  • You can use your old motor as a deposit, but you may only get £1000 for your old car. So that means you either have to find another £2063 or pay higher monthly payments.