Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bradley Jordan

Any good?
Don't hear much about him despite captaining the successful u21 team.

Comments

• Saw him on numerous occasions last year. A real talent, fantastic ball winner and playmaker.
  • The new Barry Fuller?
  • Off_it said:

The new Barry Fuller?

Have you ever seen him play off it? He is very skilful, good range of passing. Whether he will make it to the first team I am not convinced. Has played well for the U21s last season, he captained the side very well.
  • Good player, but I don't think he will quite make it with us. A career in the lower league a good possibiity.
  • Much as it goes against the grain to support Off_it the Fuller comparison will be perfectly reasonable if he goes on to have a lower league career - like Fuller.....
  • I have seen him a couple of times and will do well with a Dartford/Welling type of side. The Fuller comparison is fair.
  • Who knows what he might do given the opportunity. Hope he proves you all wrong.
  • He looked a fine footballer in his nice new Charlton shirt.
  • He's 19 years old - 20 in January. That's way too young to write off a talented footballer.

On another thread - comparing Smith/Azeez/Pigott/Sho-Silva a number of people pointed out how Pigott has improved dramatically over the space of a season. It might be that he won't make the first team - but he's not ready yet for that level, give him another season at the academy and let's see how he progresses. The club must see something in him if they have made him captain of a team of talented players.
  • Lets not write him off
  • Sponsored links:

• dizzee said:

Lets not write him off

That's not the Charlton Life way.

I've never seen him play but I reckon he will be shit and never make it at CAFC.
  • I am not writing him off, I have seen him many times and he is a decent player with some skill. Bover was a decent player with some skill, he didn't make it with us. I think Bradley is nearly twenty and if he is going to be in the first team squad it should be this Season. Maybe a spell on loan at a div 1 or div 2 club would aid his development.
  • Having watched this group for the last 4 years, I think he would fit into 1st team when time came without too much problem. He has a great engine, tireless work ethic, reads the game well and is a good link player in midfield, plus he has an eye for goal with a more than decent shot, like many of this squad all they need is the opportunity to play
  • I'd describe him as a very neat and tidy player, seldom gives the ball away and works very hard. He's the type of player that I expect to make it but actually doesn't, and I don't know why. Maybe because although his all-round game is sound he's not exceptional at anything. I think of John McGovern, Brian Clough's captain and wonder if he was one of that type of player, and he was the first name on Clough's team sheet.
  • I haven't seen him play yet ......... but judging on what I've read, Bradley Jordan sounds like a Bradley Pritchard type player?
  • Saw him v Tonbridge. Thought he was a similar level to a lot of the young pro's we've had over the last few years. Good at youth level but I'm not convinced he'll be given a chance in the first team.

The Sollys and Shelveys will always come through if they are there, they're too good not to. It's the others the club doesn't seem to be able to develop from u21/reserve level into Championship standard players. If they never risk giving them a decent run in the first team they're definitely not going to make it.

You can't play them before they're ready (remember Wagstaff under Pardew) but at the same time they need a chance if they're ever going to prove themselves.

Mambo for example never got a proper chance with us. I can see why some said he'd never make it here but given a few games he might have developed into a decent squad player. Sometimes they might just need that taste of the first team and playing alongside better players might get more out of them.
  • Scoham said:

Saw him v Tonbridge. Thought he was a similar level to a lot of the young pro's we've had over the last few years. Good at youth level but I'm not convinced he'll be given a chance in the first team.

The Sollys and Shelveys will always come through if they are there, they're too good not to. It's the others the club doesn't seem to be able to develop from u21/reserve level into Championship standard players. If they never risk giving them a decent run in the first team they're definitely not going to make it.

You can't play them before they're ready (remember Wagstaff under Pardew) but at the same time they need a chance if they're ever going to prove themselves.

Mambo for example never got a proper chance with us. I can see why some said he'd never make it here but given a few games he might have developed into a decent squad player. Sometimes they might just need that taste of the first team and playing alongside better players might get more out of them.

Good points: it's a kind of Catch-22. Personally, I don't even like the idea of throwing one or two youngsters into the first team at the end of the season when there's nothing to play for, partly because it seems disrespectful to those regulars who have worked hard all season. What's the answer?

• I'm sure Andy Hughes will help push the youngsters that might be ready for the first team.
  • The only criteria for a youngster,in my eyes is, if you are good enough, you are old enough. Harriott is good enough so he was given a chance in the first team and he took it. Mambo and Bover, were not good enough, so they wee released. Whether Jordan gets a chance in the first team, I am not sure but I think a spell on loan at a Div 1 or Div 2 club would not only help him, but would be helpful to the management.
  • It's doesn't have to be set in stone whether a player is good enough or not. For instance Pritchard was playing in non-league football because no-one thought he was good enough for anything higher. Wes Hoolahan played at a lower level for years because no-one realised he was good enough for the Premier League. On the basis of some of our games an independent fan would say Stephens was "not good enough", yet a year ago a Premier League team wanted him. It's not always clear-cut to me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Aplayer could be good enough, but have established players in front of them. At a certain age you ahve to let them go - Shittu, Turner and Primus all spring to mind!
  • Aplayer could be good enough, but have established players in front of them. At a certain age you ahve to let them go - Shittu, Turner and Primus all spring to mind!

Agree. Only worth letting go of a player (now that we have U21 league) if they are no longer eligible for U21s based on age restrictions or are surplus to the requirements of the development team.

The result of having a big squad. Funny enough the three players you mention are all CB's, and if we sign another senior CB, Feely and possibly Ajayi, may well join that list.

• Am I being niave thinking that as he was chosen to be part of the "face" of the kit launch he will be more involved in the first team set up this season??
  • U21s captain looking to make his mark on the first team over the coming campaign
    Olly Groome reports (I remember him when he was happy to get the big flag out and look at him now)

The 2013/14 season is set to be a big one for U21s skipper Bradley Jordan as he sets his sights on the first-team.

The midfielder, a product of the club’s famed youth academy, led the development squad to glory last season in three competitions – culminating in picking up the national Professional Development 2 title following an extra-time victory over Cardiff City.

Speaking shortly after he modelled the Addicks’ new home kit last week, Jordan admitted he has high hopes for the 12 months ahead.

“Every season is big for me but this one is massive,” he said.

“I feel I’m ready to break into the first-team which is something I haven’t really felt before. I’m physically developing and I’m getting there so hopefully, fingers crossed, I can get into the first-team this year.”

He added: “I’d like to think I’ve got a good chance. It depends if the manager is ready to give me a go and if he thinks I’m ready. I’m hoping that maybe even if I can get just 20 minutes of a first team place and get the experience, that might be able to help me later on.”

Soon to be entering his 11th year at the club, the 19-year-old joined Charlton at the age of eight after being spotted at a development centre in Kent.

During that time Jordan has seen many players make the leap from youth team hopefuls to first team regulars and he is hopeful of following their lead as he attempts to carve out a career in the professional game.

“I look up to Jonjo Shelvey quite a lot because he’s a central-midfielder as well,” he said.

“To see him go from the first-team at Charlton to Liverpool, where he is now, playing for the England U21s and then going on to make his debut for the senior team a couple of months ago is a massive inspiration for us.

“It proves to me that it can happen if you put in the hard work.”

He added: “Chris Solly is an inspiration. Every week I watch him he is outstanding. Winning player of the year two years in a row doesn’t happen very often. He’s a fantastic player and I would love to follow in his footsteps.”

Jordan endured an injury-plagued final year as an academy scholar, but hit the ground running in his first campaign as a professional.

With the Charlton squad due to return to pre-season training within the next week, the energetic playmaker cannot wait to pull his boots on once again.

“I had three days off [at the end of last season] and then I wanted to be back at the training ground training with the boys,” he smiled.

“Last year we were excellent, winning everything we’ve been in. You can’t get better than that. It was magical.

“Everyone I’ve spoken to are all buzzing and can’t wait to get back, and we’re just hoping we can do it all over again next year.”

"So all those people slagging me off on Charlton Life can do one"*

Read more at http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/20130624-jordan-on-the-year-ahead-877376.aspx#yvSdFbSEDTAISDbZ.99

*this line may have been added by the poster and never have been said by Bradley
  • People slagging the EPPP, what will you say if a group of academy graduates fire us to the premier league eventually? Without the u21 leagues and teams we would be releasing him now. 18-19 is far too young to judge a player on whether he can make it or not, let alone any earlier.
  • edited June 2013

People slagging the EPPP, what will you say if a group of academy graduates fire us to the premier league eventually? Without the u21 leagues and teams we would be releasing him now. 18-19 is far too young to judge a player on whether he can make it or not, let alone any earlier.

Because we don't need EPPP in the way it is structured to have an U21 league.
  • Interesting this interview combined with Andy Hughes' I expect to see him play against Oxford
  • As noted on other football websites, he also looks a bit like Fernando Torres!