Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sidcup Art College

Is anyone on here old enough to know where exactly Sidcup Art College was? I think it was knocked down in the 60s. The Rolling Stones played there in 62 (Keith Richards was a student there) and The Pretty Things were formed there. I grew up in Sidcup and never heard of it till now.

Comments

• Think it was where morrisons now stands.
  • Really? Thanks.

I don't think that was built until maybe the 90s. I think it was the library before Morrisons, so maybe that replaced the college. Strange, because not much goes on in Sidcup so it's a shame that little bit of history is pretty much erased.
  • Wasn't it Rose Bruford College ? - which still exists.
  • Thought it was Dartford Grammer meself
  • BIG_ROB said:

Thought it was Dartford Grammer meself

That was the school that Jagger went to.

I'm sure the art school was round the back of the Sidcup registry office, around where the car park to the right of Morrisions now is.
  • Wasn't it Rose Bruford College ? - which still exists.

No, Phil, it's not Rose Bruford. It was called Sidcup Art College and did graphics for advertsing mostly. Keith Richard mentions it in his autobiography but it was closed and demolished some time after the Stones played there.

• Where in Sidcup is Morrisons? I was bought up there but haven't set foot in the place for years!
  • edited May 2013
    richie8 said:

Where in Sidcup is Morrisons? I was bought up there but haven't set foot in the place for years!

Behind McDs on the way out to A20 and the hospital
  • Thanks! That used to be the library and a car park many moons ago?!
  • richie8 said:

Thanks! That used to be the library and a car park many moons ago?!

Not too sure mate, the supermarket hasn't been there that long I think
  • Sponsored links:

• I moved away in 92 and was a regular visitor until my parents passed away,last one in 99 have only been twice since once in 2002 and a flying visit to my old local in 2005 when I was at a work reunion at Hither Green and only got between Station and pub!
  • I have distant memories of seeing Taste (Rory Gallagher) at S A C in the mid/late 60s .. but if it was wreckingballed in the early 60s, perhaps not
  • So Taste would have been late 60s? I'm not too sure when it was demolished to be honest. Can you remember where in Sidcup it was, by any chance? I appreciate it's way back when.
  • I seem to remember that the Art College was by Sidcup Place somewhere. As others have said, on the way out of Sidcup going up to the A20. I haven't been round that way for years though. Maybe my memory is playing tricks.
  • BIG_ROB said:

richie8 said:

Thanks! That used to be the library and a car park many moons ago?!

Not too sure mate, the supermarket hasn't been there that long I think
    It used to be a Safeway before Morrisons I do believe, at least what I can remember of 10 years ago
  • As a resident of Sidcup for a year (but a regular visitor since the mid 90s when I lived down Old Perry Street) there was a lot of derelict land (where a body was found) off of Grassington Road.
    This is where the supermarket is now... before Grass. Rd. was cut in half.

I guess the college was on that land?

Apart from that anyone remember the Station Hotel?

• Re Taste: The original band formed in 1966 but mainly played Ireland. The band most people know as taste were re-formed in 1968. I saw them play at the 'Black Prince', in fact I had a conversation with Rory there.
  • As a resident of Sidcup for a year (but a regular visitor since the mid 90s when I lived down Old Perry Street) there was a lot of derelict land (where a body was found) off of Grassington Road.

I remember the Station Hotel being there.There is a thread on here with a good bit of info on here.Just cant remember the title?? Anyone else remember the thread?

Blimey. Is that the site that became the Iron Horse and the supermarket? Or was it up Station Road, I can't quite remember.

I know there's another thread about closed pubs, but it is sad to think that there was a Black Horse pub in the High Street since the 17th century and it's now a Travelodge identikit hotel. Even if it wasn't a great pub in recent times.
  • Sponsored links:

• Black Horse had been a dump for years.Station Hotel site became the Iron Horse.
  • Can't argue with that.
  • edited May 2013
    Vincenzo said:

So Taste would have been late 60s? I'm not too sure when it was demolished to be honest. Can you remember where in Sidcup it was, by any chance? I appreciate it's way back when.

In retrospect and delving into the vague and misty memories (of some things) I have of the long ago supposedly 'swinging 60s' .. I might have seen Taste at Bromley College ... is there more than one college in Bromley ... or rather was there more than one around 1967/68? ... however, Sidcup Art School definitely still reverberates thru what is left of my mind (:->) Around that time I was dating a young beauty who worked in St/Queen Mary's Hospital and we went a few times to a college near there to see bands .. The Herd, pre Peter Frampton rings a bell as having played there also.
  • Vincenzo said:

So Taste would have been late 60s? I'm not too sure when it was demolished to be honest. Can you remember where in Sidcup it was, by any chance? I appreciate it's way back when.

In retrospect and delving into the vague and misty memories (of some things) I have of the long ago supposedly 'swinging 60s' .. I might have seen Taste at Bromley College ... is there more than one college in Bromley ... or rather was there more than one around 1967/68? ... however, Sidcup Art School definitely still reverberates thru what is left of my mind (:->) Around that time I was dating a young beauty who worked in St/Queen Mary's Hospital and we went a few times to a college near there to see bands .. The Herd, pre Peter Frampton rings a bell as having played there also.
    Ravensbourne art college is in Bromley, or was, I applied and did not get in?. I wonder if Sidcup had an 'art annexe' Lincs?......
    Rory may well have played at the Bromley court hotel as jimi hendrix did on his first tour of the uk.
  • Vincenzo said:

Ravensbourne art college is in Bromley, or was, I applied and did not get in?. I wonder if Sidcup had an 'art annexe' Lincs?......
    Rory may well have played at the Bromley court hotel as jimi hendrix did on his first tour of the uk.
    I was pretty much a regular at Bromley Court Hotel (there have been several posts on this iconic venue) and I am pretty sure that Taste/Rory never played there .. my opinion? .. Taste was a big venue band, a festival type band, it's rabble rousing type of sound was not suited to a rather small hall as was B C H ... most everyone else of note played at B C H during the 60s/early 70s
  • Ravensbourne Art College is in Chislehurst:

http://www.londontown.com/LondonInformation/Education/Ravensbourne_College_of_Design_and_Communication/5550/

T'was here that a certain Susan Ballion, Steve Bailey & William Broad first saw the Sex Pistols early in 1976. Susan went onto form a band with her friend Steve, (Siouxsie and the Banshees) and young William joined Generation X (turning into Billy Idol).

http://www.londontown.com/LondonInformation/Education/Ravensbourne_College_of_Design_and_Communication/5550/

T'was here that a certain Susan Ballion, Steve Bailey & William Broad first saw the Sex Pistols early in 1976. Susan went onto form a band with her friend Steve, (Siouxsie and the Banshees) and young William joined Generation X (turning into Billy Idol).

before generation X was .. Chelsea

Our "William" wasn't a singer with them, (as far as I know) that was a Gene October (if my memory is still working.....)

• A friend thought that Sidcup Art College was in Birkbeck Road and now called Bird College ?
  • edited May 2013

Ravensbourne Art College is in Chislehurst:

Our "William" wasn't a singer with them, (as far as I know) that was a Gene October (if my memory is still working.....)

not sure MOG .. I saw Chelsea once in either G'wich or Deptford and recall the fan club screaming for Billy .. the singer was blonde and 'ansome .. .. if I was having a wager, I would say that B I was the singer in Chelsea ..BUT .... see above (as 'they' say)