Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Are you the only Charlton fan you know???

I am. I live in Stratford so Im surrounded by hammers fans, with the odd Orient fan thrown in. When I head to games Im always the only Charlton fan on the Jubilee line to North Greenwich, and subsequently get lots of bemused looks from passengers trying to work out what team the shirt Im wearing is for. On numerous occasions this season Ive had random day trippers/away fans ask me for help to get them to the Valley as I'm the first Charlton fan they encounter on the way, and the first time I see other Charlton fans is at the North Greenwich bus station waiting for the 472 to the Valley. Funnily enough the last convo I had with a fellow Charlton fan at North Greenwich station asked me which bus to get because they live in Kent and dont normally get to games this way.

In addition, none of my friends support Charlton, I dont know anyone at work who supports Charlton. Girlfriend supports Chelsea, Dad supports Colchester. I know several Palarse, QPR, Watford and Millwall, but no Addicks! It could be that youre all avoiding me of course, which would be understandable....

youtube.com/watch?v=UEaKX9YYHiQ

Comments

• I personally know one person in Norwich who supports Charlton who grew up in Plumstead. I also know a couple of people who 'knows a Charlton supporter' and very occasionally see cars with Charlton stickers.
  • Same here. At School everyone supported Arsenal, Liverpool or Spurs (this was the mid to late eighties). I went to Riverside School in Thamesmead and I put the lack of Charlton support down to the fact we were on our sojourn at Palace. Since then I've met one or two Charlton fans but I can't say they were friends.

*This thread needs to be renamed the 'billy no charlton mates' thread.
  • If only there was a social club of some sort where many Lifers met before games for a drink and a chat

: - )
  • Know two other CAFC fans from where I live in Kent, but unsurprisingly none from uni in Sheffield. I have however seen one Addicks shirt while playing 6-a-side at uni, but don't know them.
  • CAFCTrev said:

I am. I live in Stratford so Im surrounded by hammers fans, with the odd Orient fan thrown in. When I head to games Im always the only Charlton fan on the Jubilee line to North Greenwich, and subsequently get lots of bemused looks from passengers trying to work out what team the shirt Im wearing is for. On numerous occasions this season Ive had random day trippers/away fans ask me for help to get them to the Valley as I'm the first Charlton fan they encounter on the way, and the first time I see other Charlton fans is at the North Greenwich bus station waiting for the 472 to the Valley. Funnily enough the last convo I had with a fellow Charlton fan at North Greenwich station asked me which bus to get because they live in Kent and dont normally get to games this way.

In addition, none of my friends support Charlton, I dont know anyone at work who supports Charlton. Girlfriend supports Chelsea, Dad supports Colchester. I know several Palarse, QPR, Watford and Millwall, but no Addicks! It could be that youre all avoiding me of course, which would be understandable....

Really ...???
  • edited May 2013
    Riscardo said:

CAFCTrev said:

Really ...???
    Err...yeah....

These are outrageous claims I know....
  • edited May 2013
    Charlton fans are a 'special' breed, you cant have too much of a good thing you know.

it's good to not follow the masses and copy other glory seeking fans.

By the way anyone know what date the 2014 FA Cup final is? :-0
  • Living in a Cornish village....... surprise, surprise, I'm the only Charlton fan.

Nearly everyone here knows I'm an Addick - and as I actually travel to games whenever I can, most other football fans around here think I'm sort of hero(!). Or perhaps just plain loopy.

If for some reason Charlton make headlines or win 6-0 away, people come over to me in the village shops/pubs and start talking about Charlton. I'm treated as some sort of ambassador for Charlton.

I'm probably the only Charlton fan they've ever met.

• Born & grew up in St. Albans. Only know of 1 other Addick, aside from the people I sit next to/around. In a school of 1000 pupils I was known as 'Charlton' as I was the only one!
  • Well, I am a schizophrenic and I talk to my other self who is also a Charlton supporter on a regular basis! We actually get on quite well sometimes!
  • Sponsored links:

• Oggy Red said:

Living in a Cornish village....... surprise, surprise, I'm the only Charlton fan.

Nearly everyone here knows I'm an Addick - and as I actually travel to games whenever I can, most other football fans around here think I'm sort of hero(!). Or perhaps just plain loopy.

If for some reason Charlton make headlines or win 6-0 away, people come over to me in the village shops/pubs and start talking about Charlton. I'm treated as some sort of ambassador for Charlton.

I'm probably the only Charlton fan they've ever met.

You're the only fan in the village :-)
  • Born & grew up in St. Albans. Only know of 1 other Addick, aside from the people I sit next to/around. In a school of 1000 pupils I was known as 'Charlton' as I was the only one!

I grew up in Harpenden just up the road from St Albans. Believe it or not it's a little Charlton enclave, there's a good 20 or so living there and we always have an annual gathering. In our Selhurst days you'd see no others heading back north but nowadays there are lots on the Thameslink route.

You may even have spotted my mate's 'Harpenden Addicks' flag at away games.

I grew up in Harpenden just up the road from St Albans. Believe it or not it's a little Charlton enclave, there's a good 20 or so living there and we always have an annual gathering. In our Selhurst days you'd see no others heading back north but nowadays there are lots on the Thameslink route.

You may even have spotted my mate's 'Harpenden Addicks' flag at away games.
    Love hearing stuff like this.
  • There was only one other Charlton fan in my year at school. We were best friends then and best friends now. And I genuinely don't think it's because we have Charlton in common.
  • I think I'm only Charlton fan I know other than some long term friends.

I often get introduced by non Charlton supporting friends to others with "this is that Charlton fan I was telling you about..."
  • I never met another Addick in Chicago even though a couple have since appeared on CL. One chap comments on my blog, but he is out of the city. Had to rely on entertaining Addicks when they visited.

There are about 5 of us in Bermuda. 6 if you include LookOut Jnr!
  • I know two other Charlton fans here in Kunming
  • Played golf yesterday with on Fulham fan and two other Charlton supporters.

We believed that is was possibly the first time that three Charlton fans had ever been in Phuket at the same time!
  • Guys, I live in New York state. Of course I'm the only Charlton fan I know. Pretty sure none of my friends here had even heard of the club.

Even when I spent a year in South London for grad school, I didn't know any Charlton fans. (And the Goldsmiths campus is about 20 minutes at worst from the Valley.) Amongst my classmates were Chelsea, Liverpool, Man U and Tottenham supporters. Another classmate swore his grandmother supported them, though.
  • Stopshouting's post has inspired me to rustle up a Sheffield Addicks flag for next season. Harpenden is not the only northern enclave. Any others?

Lincs could get one done with Grimsby Addick on it.
  • Sponsored links:

• I was at an antiques fair in Wales a few years back with me Charlton brolly up (well, it was Wales) and I got collered by another Charlton supporter, I thought that was pretty weird.
  • edited May 2013
    I'm the only charlton fan in the village. Tillington in sussex. I did see another charlton fan on the train en route to the valley for the Bristol city game. I almost hi fived him then quickly thought better of it
  • Growing up and subsquently living in Northampton, I see the odd addicks car sticker from time to time but do not personally know of any other Charlton fans. In a similar way to others, I am often referred to as "this is the Charlton fan I was telling you about"!
  • Growing up as a kid in deepest darkest east London I was the only Charlton fan I knew besides my dad my nan and my sisters! Then I discovered away games and alcohol hic.
  • I used to be (from Middlesex). Then odd Charlton supporters cropped up here and there and now I've even got one living next door. The Premier League years massively raised the profile of the club.
  • I am the only one I know in Brentwood Essex.
  • CAFCTrev said:

Riscardo said:

CAFCTrev said:

Really ...???
    Err...yeah....

These are outrageous claims I know....
    Just find it weird ... there are Charlton fans all over.
  • I grew up in Watford. My brother and I were the only Charlton fans. I too was known as 'Charlton'.
  • You need to move further into Essex, loads of us amongst the Hamsters out here, Canvey Southend and Basildon
  • OK guys, now I'm worried.... I have just read all these comments and adding up the posters and their mates... totals around 57...so who in hells name are the other 15000+ who keep turning up to the home games on Saturday...especially that noisy one wiv da drum :)