Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Most unused switch.

On a recent visit to my in-laws I noticed their stair lift had an up/down switch on the base station, and it occurred to me that it was not needed. The only time it would be used as is when ascending the stairs by said stair lift, the infirm old fart or fartesse then decides to throw themselves down the stairs. If by some strange twist of fate the horrendous fall doesn't kill them, the last thing they would want to do is get straight back up them stairs and have another lemming moment. I put it to you that this switch is the most unused switch in the world...unless you know better.

Comments

• Supposing you had two doddery people in the house, wouldn't they need it then?
  • What if they were not mentally capable of operating it so a third party needed to get them up/down ?
  • edited April 2013
    What if a kid, (or vindictive wife!) messing about with the stair lift, left it in the wrong place?
    For use by the service technician so he doesn't have to bother actually using the lift?
  • cafcfan said:

What if a kid, (or vindictive wife!) messing about with the stair lift, left it in the wrong place?

Walk up the stairs and get on it?
  • cafcfan said:

Exactly!

• edited April 2013
    My gran used to scare Jehovah's witnesses by getting the stairlift to go up and down the stairs using the remote control behind her back. True story.
  • There's an old Catalyst 1900 series sat in my server room in a rack in the corner that has been turned off for four years. That's the most unused switch I can think of.
  • cafcfan said:

Exactly!

Don't know if I am having a whoosh moment but if you can't climb stairs and someone has moved the stairlift upstairs surely you need a base control to bring it back down for you to use?
  • MrOneLung said:

cafcfan said:

Exactly!

Don't know if I am having a whoosh moment but if you can't climb stairs and someone has moved the stairlift upstairs surely you need a base control to bring it back down for you to use?
    ;-0}
  • My son's bedroom light switch. He never turns the bleedin light off. Curtains closed light on ! Aaaagh !
  • Sponsored links:

• What if you've got 20 foot long arms and no elbows?

Wibble.
  • Stig has the answer. Good effort but its a fundamental requirement otherwise only for a single person

Can i give stigs post of the week to stig for such insight?

I used to have a combi lightswitch with one dimmer and one on/off. Could never worm out why the dimmer wasnt enough by itself
  • edited April 2013
    There's a couple of switches in my car that I have never used. I am sure they have some purpose.
  • There's a couple of switches in my car that I have never used. I am sure they have some purpose.

If you're a minicab driver, they're probably to indicate left and indicate right.

• IdleHans said:

There's a couple of switches in my car that I have never used. I am sure they have some purpose.

If you're a minicab driver, they're probably to indicate left and indicate right.

Specifically Addison Lee drivers.
  • The light switch in a 24 hours/365 days a year petrol station?
  • A light switch at a blind persons house.
  • There's a couple of switches in my car that I have never used. I am sure they have some purpose.

If it's an Aston Martin DB5 DON'T press the red one.

• edited April 2013
    PopIcon said:

A light switch at a blind persons house.

What about visitors?

• The light switch in Millwall's trophy room
  • Sponsored links:

• I could never find my ex wifes buttons apparently.........................
  • the off switch on a nymphomaniac's vibrator ?
  • Chris Powell refuses to use any switches until it's too late - tactically naive, out of his depth etc etc etc etc etc etc
  • The "start" button on posh spice's microwave.
  • The light switch in Millwall's trophy room

They have a trophy ....................... room?

• Loco said:

The light switch in Millwall's trophy room

They have a trophy ....................... room?

They don't know, they have never found it.
  • PopIcon said:

What about visitors?

Its quite sad that you should say that actually. I got a freind who works at insight radio, he told me its not uncommon when blind people get visitors for the visitors to forget to turn a light off when they leave. These lights can be left of for weeks and weeks without the blind person knowing. Sad true story that.
  • Cant believe we are wasting good Cyber space on 'Most Unused Switch ' !
  • PopIcon said:

PopIcon said:

What about visitors?

Its quite sad that you should say that actually. I got a freind who works at insight radio, he told me its not uncommon when blind people get visitors for the visitors to forget to turn a light off when they leave. These lights can be left of for weeks and weeks without the blind person knowing. Sad true story that.
    Surely they could just double check the switch to feel if it was in the 'on' position?
  • My gf who cannot see in ultra violet light (Achromatopsia) will turn lights off to find things...it still freaks me out.