Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Quick Poll - Snap General Election -Your Vote?

edited September 2007 in Not Sports Related
Either say how you'd vote or just don't join the thread.
I have voted Con since 1987 but if there was a vote tomorrow I would have to vote Brown over Cameron.
Can't believe I've said that!
We are supposed to vote for our local candidate, not be swayed by the potential PM. If Spencer Dury stands for Eltham again I will vote for him I'm sure. But Mr Brown has subtlety drawn me in with his total lack of razzmatazz.
Politics should not be about personalities but sometimes............

Comments

• Labour, I'm not set on either party but in my opinion Cameron really dosen't know what he wants, he seems to change like the wind for me. He seems to want to be everyone's friend without actually telling me as a voter "up for grabs" if you like exactly what he has to offer me. So for that reason i'd vote Brown all day.
  • Monster Raving Looney probably. I live in an utterly safe Labour seat, so quite frankly it makes no odds whether I vote or not.
  • that sounds like a strong call for proportional representation to me
  • UK Independence Party.
  • edited September 2007
    UK Independence Party. A vote for the Lib Dems, Labour and to some extend the Tory's means that the European Commisoners might aswell be sitting in the House of Commons. There really is no need for MP's these days as 75% of laws come from Brussels.

Maybe the last chance for the UK public to say to the main parties we do not want a European treaty one state. NATO is the alliance that has kept peace in Europe not the EU myth.

On the subject of new labour Im in favour of members of a different ethnic race being put to the front for standing in a ward especially when the ward contains the majority of that british ethnic race. So why dont you stand down Harriot Harmon who had proudly preached this at the Labour Party conference since Peckham her ward has a large amount of non white brits. Practice what you preach Harriot !!!
  • Conservative - we have wasted too much money without result under Labour
  • The Bring Back Maggie Party
  • I'm not sure, our local MP hasn't been too bad and has dealt with the odd query I have fired his way pretty well so he may get my vote, but I am really not sure about Labour. The complete gibberish and virtually undeliverable promises/statements made by the labour leadership this week have really made me think again.
  • [cite]Posted By: pete_tong1[/cite]UK Independence Party. A vote for the Lib Dems, Labour and to some extend the Tory's means that the European Commisoners might aswell be sitting in the House of Commons. There really is no need for MP's these days as 75% of laws come from Brussels.

Maybe the last chance for the UK public to say to the main parties we do not want a European treaty one state. NATO is the alliance that has kept peace in Europe not the EU myth.

Quite frankly, the power of the EU scares me - and Labour have been their puppet government here in the UK.

The EU has its roots in a great concept, ensuring free trade, standing up against the then Communist empire building and virtually eliminating the threat of war between member nations.

But in reality, the UK is being reduced to a no more than a region within the United States of Europe.

I wish I had more time to elaborate but it's my Company's end of Financial Year today and it's mental here at work.
    But be careful about just voting for Brown.

Labour appears to be leading Britain along a path of no return.
  • is there any real difference between the Tories and Labour?

i'd vote green. They are a bit too lefty for me, but a good showing in the polls might mean the big parties actually take the green issue seriously rather than just some token words.
  • Sponsored links:

• Got to say i'm in disagreement with some of the anti-EU stuff. I think a greater deal of the UK governments time should be with working with European Partners as opposed to the Americans. The EU has done a great deal for strengthening the regions of the UK through structural funds and is in the strange position that it wants to take some power from member states and return it to the regions.

The thing that gets my goat is the old west lothian question whereby Scots MPs have their own parliament which English MPs cannot vote in but Scots can vote on purely English issues. Perhaps theres a need for an English Parliament. It annoys me all this variable geometry whereby scots students dont pay tuition fees and neither do European students studying in scotland, however english students have to pay.

Also you dont pay prescription charges in Wales but you do in England.

Thus I say, Gordon Brown 'no mandate in England'!
  • 'The EU has done a great deal for strengthening the regions of the UK through structural funds and is in the strange position that it wants to take some power from member states and return it to the regions.'

errrr from/with the huge amounts the UK tax payer pays into the EU.
  • [cite]Posted By: SE10Addick[/cite]is there any real difference between the Tories and Labour?

none what so ever. The major political parties are now dominated by savvy, spin-enhanced career politicians, who have very little interest in anything other than self-promotion. Would anything be fundamentally different if the Tories took over tomorrow ? Absolutely not. I'm sure there are some genuine politicians who main interest is serving their local people, but they are becoming very few and far between.

I hate the lot of them.
  • The main thing is that the UK doesn't receive as much money back through the CAP as other member states, although this is slowly balancing following both BSE and foot and mouth. Britain still gets its rebate, although this has indeed been made smaller (now more in line with that of France and Italy) this was one of Blairs concessions to the EU.

In exchange for our contribution to the EU, we get many benefits. Access to the single market alone generates extra wealth for European citizens. For example, in 2002 this was equivalent to nearly £300 per person, far less than we pay individually via the governments contributions to the EU (Britain’s contribution to the EU amounts to approximately £175 per head of its population, per year). Take into account the funding that comes back in this takes the original 175 down to about £50 per head (a quid a week) per citizen. For a £300 cost saving benefit per person, I think thats a good payoff!

• In agreement with AFKA theres not a lot separating them nowadays with Brown wanting to be Thatcher and Cameron wanting to be Blair. The Lib Dems putting up Campbell with good knowledge but no credibility. All this and parties move even more to the centre ground at elections to attract 'mondeo man' etc etc, makes for turgid, uninspired politics.
  • Green - because there's piss all point in worrying about anything else if the planet's going to pot.

(NB. I don't ride a bike)
  • Just Vote

Next month will mark the 360th Anniversary of the Putney Debates when the common soldiers of the New Model Army demanded a number of radical reforms including universal male sufferage, two year parliaments and the abolition of the House of Lords.

Thomas Rainsborough one of the leading Agitators, or representatives, of the New Model Army soldiers said

"For really I think that the poorest he that is in England have a life to live, as the greatest he: and therefore truly, sir, I think it's clear, that every man that is to live under a government ought first by his own consent to put himself under that government".

The Levellers (the radicals within the Army) were eventually crushed by Cromwell but the struggle for the vote continued until in 1928 we finally acheived complete adult sufferage.

This is our tradition and heritage and I'm bloody proud of it. People are dieing in Burma for what we sometimes take for granted.
  • Tory - I've seen a marked improvement in my local council (Bexley) since they came in.....I could never vote Labour and despise Brown for his ineptitude with the pension funds (going against the industries warnings) and when selling off our Gold reserves.

"Hey everyone. Were selling the 2nd biggest bullion reserve in the world". Cue crash in gold value .......

Plus. Why does he do that horrible asthmatic inhalation of breath every time he pauses....
  • Well said Henry.

I'd vote Tory, don't know if it would make a great difference but I'm sick to death of Labour lies and spin.....

On the the European point, what is happening about the treaty/constitution (whatever you want to call it) in France and Holland where it has already been rejected by the voters?

Whether your're for or against it, surely we must all agree thet we are entitled to the vote that we were promissed?
  • [cite]Posted By: Barn Door Lisbie[/cite]Whether your're for or against it, surely we must all agree thet we are entitled to the vote that we were promissed?

Ah Yes but as Gordon said the other day on BBC Breakfast it isnt the EU Constitution therefore no vote is needed, despite the leaked notes from Angela Merkel saying it was in all but name.....
  • Sponsored links:

• Green, the rest are pretty much the same
  • Golden Brown
  • Labour, and people who think there isn't a stuble difference is living in a tabloid cuckoo world
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Charlton Dan[/cite]Tory - I've seen a marked improvement in my local council (Bexley) since they came in.....I could never vote Labour and despise Brown for his ineptitude with the pension funds (going against the industries warnings) and when selling off our Gold reserves.

"Hey everyone. Were selling the 2nd biggest bullion reserve in the world". Cue crash in gold value .......

Plus. Why does he do that horrible asthmatic inhalation of breath every time he pauses....[/quote]

And why does he look as though he is sucking a sweet when he talks?
  • No time today, sadly, to put Thommo right re the EU with some facts and figures.

However the 3 main parties are set on selling this country down the river. Labour and the Lib Dems are relatively open about it the Tories TALK eurosceptic but ACT as europhile as the others.

That leaves the smaller parties. Green are eco Nazis seeking to control and curtail the freedom of movement of decent ordinary people by propagating the myth that climate change is solely down to the actions of man. The ice age etc cannot be blamed on man. Again no time today to expound further.

I would vote UKIP ideologically but they won't get in and the only effect in the marginal constituency I live in will be to keep Labour in probably which I don't want to do.

Whilst their ideology is repugnant I feel the only way the ordinary person MIGHT actually be listened to is if the BNP do well. However I really cannot take the seismic step of voting for a racist party like them.

I will therefore probably spoil my ballot paper. I will certainly go to the polling station as Henry is absolutely right in his assertion that it is imperative to vote.

I may not be typical but I feel TOTALLY DISENFRANCHISED AT THE PRESENT TIME.
  • [cite]Posted By: Charlton Dan[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Barn Door Lisbie[/cite]Whether your're for or against it, surely we must all agree thet we are entitled to the vote that we were promissed?

Ah Yes but as Gordon said the other day on BBC Breakfast it isnt the EU Constitution therefore no vote is needed, despite the leaked notes from Angela Merkel saying it was in all but name.....

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck......

Why is Gordon the only leader that feels he has to lie to us, most other european leaders have already admitted that it's the same in all but name.

If he belives that it is such a good thing, lets see the evidence and decide for ourselves.
  • edited September 2007
    Exactly. Blair / Brown - Both the same IMO!! Seem to treat us like kids in the assumption that they know best....
  • While my natural learning is to the left - ask my tailor ; - ) - I've never been a fan of Labour. The Tories, I fear, will reveal their true colours of cut, cut, cut to help the rich as soon as they are elected and while I'm closer to the liberals on some issues I can't take them seriously.

So pt me down as a committed don't know who will defo vote for someone but not sure who.

UK Independence Party are just the BNP with brains.
  • I'll vote for anyone who will stop harrassing Motorist's & start taxing the real trouble makers the cyclists :-)
  • i'd vote labour out of a sense of history rather than any faith in today's mob. could never vote tory.