Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The £5 pint

It's here.

Had my first £5 pint in a "normal" pub last night, i.e. not a bar/club, etc - just a run of the mill boozer.

£5.17 for a pint of fairly tasteless italian fizzy water (aka Peroni).

I promised myself I would give up pub bozzing as soon as this day came. A sad sad day for all concerned.

Comments

• What pub?
  • I remember my first £4 pint was a Peroni in the Sherlock Holmes at Embankment/Charing Cross. I just about managed to cover the cost by three pence.

Sad times indeed.
  • 10 years ago you used to get 2 pints for £5, although I didn't drink in the finest of establishments.
  • JTJT
    edited April 2013
    17 pence bit is a bit unnecessary.
  • The George in twickenham (a pub aimed at students) has been serving £5 peroni for a while now,I've never been back. Nor have I drunk a lager in a pub since either
  • Rising Sun pub near Tottenham Court Road - 3 pints of Kronenbourg for £15.90 the other night.
  • The Cape just off Gresham street has been seving £5 Peroni for a while.

Remember Deacons, near Cannon Street used to do a pint of Fosters for £2 in the city. Crap beer but good price. Happy Days!
  • My local does £1.50 pints on Tuesdays. :-)
  • Pints of piss don't count.
  • Serves you right, Peroni is crap beer.
    Was an article a while ago about the silly profits introducing Peroni as a premium lager has made the brewer in the UK. Just proves the old addage, a fool and his money are easily parted.
  • Sponsored links:

• My local drinker is still under 4 quid for a Kronenbourg / Amstel etc. And it's a ponced-up place in Islington.

West End is where you really get ripped off.
  • no wonder the pub game's dying.

at that price i'd much rather sit indoors drinking fizzy Italian piss water whilst holding hands.
  • Serves you right, Peroni is crap beer.
    Was an article a while ago about the silly profits introducing Peroni as a premium lager has made the brewer in the UK. Just proves the old addage, a fool and his money are easily parted.

Trouble is if your out with some dimwit that's happy to drink overpriced fizz, you can't really say anything when it's your round; just have to grin a bear it.

Thats milk FOD, you really need to get out more :-)
  • I paid like £4.50 for a bottle of Budweiser up Liverpool St, was more expensive than a pint :(
  • My local drinker is still under 4 quid for a Kronenbourg / Amstel etc. And it's a ponced-up place in Islington.

Depends where and what you drink mate. £2.40 for a pint of ale in a pub near China Town. The moral of the story is, don't drink lager!
  • The Union/Old Brewery has been charging £5 or more for some their beers for a while...just means I drink less....
  • Budweiser is on average $3.50 a bottle/pint here in Atlanta.

Premium imports like Heineken/Peroni are $5 a bottle.

There is an English pub that does dollar beers all day on Sunday.....63p a pint!

Thats milk FOD, you really need to get out more :-)
    As do you! When was the last time they served milk in the pub 1982? ;-)
  • Standard price in all the pubs in Holland Park... Need to think about where i work next time!
  • Sponsored links:

• can't buy many of those on £53 a week
  • can't buy many of those on £53 a week

10 and a half
  • 10 and 3/5 !!!
  • My local is still 3 quid a Carling :)
  • It's no wonder that the Supermarkets are cleaning up when they can sell 18 cans of Budweiser for under £17.

For me there needs to be a really good reason to go to a pub these days.
  • I quite like Peroni!
  • I quite like Peroni!

I love the stuff. Can't have too many though or I end up either ironing someone out or getting ironed out myself.
  • We could help bring down pub prices by taking the glasses away to clean at home. Then they wouldn't have the costs of the hot water and detergent. How thoughtful is that!

Depends where and what you drink mate. £2.40 for a pint of ale in a pub near China Town. The moral of the story is, don't drink lager!
    Of course - there are exceptions everywhere. There's Sam Smiths pubs scattered about all over town, but I just meant on average, you're more likely to pay over the odds for a comparable pint in a comparable pub if you're in the West End than most of the rest of London, even in poncy areas like Shoreditch and Camden.
  • Curb_It said:

What pub?

Founders Arms, Bankside (well, the sun was out and it's a cracking view!)

I have it on good authority that it has been Youngs most profitable pub for something like 4 out of the last 5 years - and at those prices it's not hard to see why.