Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The week that was - 24th September 1976. Charlton 6 Southampton 2.

edited September 2007 in General Charlton
Friday 24th Sept 1976. Charlton 6 (4) Flanagan 5, 12, Bowman 35, Powell 41, Hales 74, 90) Southampton 2 (1) (Peach (pen) 40, MacDougall 64) The Valley. Att: 9,710.

Charlton: Wood, Berry, Warman, Hunt, Giles, Cutis, Powell, Hales, Flanagan, Bowman, Peacock. Unused sub: Hammond.

Southampton: Boulton, Rodrigues, Peach, McCalliog, Waldron, Blyth, Williams, Channon, Gilchrist, MacDougall, Fisher. Unused sub: Steele.

Referee: T Reynolds (Swansea).

Manager Andy Nelson estimated that Charlton had 15 excellent chances and he named this match as the best performance since he took over in May 1974.

Comments

• The Southampton team did an interview for 'Nationwide' before this game, proudly showing off the silverware they'd won the previous May at Wembley.

As a 14 year old I felt they should have given the FA Cup to us for destroying them that night.
  • I remember this one, there was almost no atmosphere in the ground before the game, but we were superb throughout the first half and in the closing minutes when Derek scored twice.
  • edited September 2007
    What a team, stuffed full of my childhood heros. Of the less well-known ones Peter Hunt was a much undervalued combatative midfielder who seemed to get better and better, Richie Bowman was a skillful high energy midfielder who always seemed to be in and out of favour with Andy Nelson. Eventually he was sold to Reading. Jim Giles, wholehearted no nonesense centre half. Good in the air, a bit of an Eeyore on the ground. Les Berry central defender who always looked quality on the ball, but did make a few howlers. Jeff Wood who took over from Tutt was an excellent keeper, agile and decent handling. Not huge and imposing like the modern keeper.

As for the others well legends all.

I went to this game but try as I might I can't remember the goals although I can remember that Flash scored the first two and Killer the last two.
  • it was a classic. Can't remember much of it except I was in the Jimmy Seed Stand at the front.
  • edited September 2007
    This game is in my top 5 all time favourite Charlton moments for sure! What a night!

We were absolutely brilliant and I was absolutely convinced that we would finally gain promotion back to the first division that season.

Bowman absolutely bossed the midfield with Peter Hunt, an underrated player as Bing says, doing the unglamorous stuff.

Paddy Powell put more crosses over in that one game than Rommedahl managed in all his time here!

Little did we know though that 3 months later Killer would be sold and with him our promotion hopes.
  • edited September 2007
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    Little did we know though that 3 months later Killer would be sold and with him our promotion hopes.

Yes Len, Hales went to Derby for £300k. I just wonder what Killer and Flash together would have achieved if Hales had stayed? There was newspaper clamour at this time for Killer to be picked for England. Sadly the closest either of them got to England was Flash playing for England B.

As for Richie Bowman, I always wondered what Andy Nelson had against him unless he was porking Andy's wife because he hardly ever put in a bad performance.
  • edited September 2007
    Definately in my top 10 Charlton games. I loved those Friday night games, always a better atmosphere in The Covered End and with thiose 7.30 kick-offs you could bet the final whistle would sound not long after 9.10pm !!!
  • [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]

Yes Len, Hales went to Derby for £300k. I just wonder what Killer and Flash together would have achieved if Hales had stayed? There was newspaper clamour at this time for Killer to be picked for England. Sadly the closest either of them got to England was Flash playing for England B.

As for Richie Bowman, I always wondered what Andy Nelson had against him unless he was porking Andy's wife because he hardly ever put in a bad performance.

I was told by a player at the time that Nelson's preference was for players of physical presence (in his own image was the phrase actually used!).

Little Richie Bowman did not match up unfortunately so perhaps that was a factor.
  • I always had a soft spot for Bowman after chatting to his mum outside the old West Stand after the game on his debut, she was chuffed to bits and introduced me to Ritchie....she was so proud of him. The match against Southampton was a cracker, I thought the atmosphere was great that night. Southampton bought quite a few fans up and it all went off on the south terrace after we scored our fourth and spilled out down towards the back of the west. Somebody a pal of mine knew got stabbed after the game as the trouble spilled onto the streets on the way back to the station. Was a pretty memorable night all round....surprised that we only had 9000 though, seemed like a lot more.....but there again it was over 30 years ago....
  • Sorry to be an Anorak and do correct me if I'm wrong Large, but I don't remember the Jimmy Seed stand being built until 1979.
  • Sponsored links:

• Was a pretty memorable night all round....surprised that we only had 9000 though, seemed like a lot more.....but there again it was over 30 years ago....

More dodgy gatekeeping?
  • Dodgy gate keeping was a way of life back then.....
  • Rob Lee was a turnstile operator (not sure if you knew that) so he would know the true crowd
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Rob Lee was a turnstile operator (not sure if you knew that) so he would know the true crowd

No, no, he wasn't. Rob Lee played for some northern club.

Our turnstile operator was Robert Lee.
  • was this the last time we scored six in a home game ?
  • [cite]Posted By: Tel-in-Oz[/cite]Southampton bought quite a few fans up and it all went off on the south terrace after we scored our fourth and spilled out down towards the back of the west. Somebody a pal of mine knew got stabbed after the game as the trouble spilled onto the streets on the way back to the station.

Tell me about it...having just recovered from a pounding that I took at Reading in a Pre-Season friendly, I managed to get whalloped round the back of the head with something heaving from a Saints fan on the little bit of terrace next to the Seats in the south west corner. It wasn't long after this event that I took up Rugby. At least if you got into a scrap, you'd have a beer with your opponent after the game.
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]was this the last time we scored six in a home game ?

When was the last time we scored 5 at home?
    v Southampton 98/99?

v Man City 2 years ago was the last time we conceded 5 at home.
    And the Leeds debacle the last time we conceded 6 at home.
  • Rob Lee, nee Robert Lee would tell you that him and his mates used to let 100's in for nothing in those days.
  • Funnily enough I was at the Reading Friendly too....wasnt very friendly at all was it....
  • Sponsored links:

• Bump for newer posters.
  • Remember it well(ish).
    Was 14 at the time and just remember grinning all weekend.
  • [cite]Posted By: Telnotinoz[/cite]Funnily enough I was at the Reading Friendly too....wasnt very friendly at all was it....

That was not a nice day at all!

Regarding the Saints game, it did seem like a much larger crowd ... as Tel says, memory plays tricks. As others stated, certainly in my top 10.
  • I was there, Saints had some 'names' in their team. Can't believe there was only 9000 there?? I used to love the er, mis-counting of the crowd in those days!!

Hales, Hunt, Paddy, Bowman and Giles, as a kid these were my heroes.

Friday night footy was great. Bring it back please!
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Sorry to be an Anorak and do correct me if I'm wrong Large, but I don't remember the Jimmy Seed stand being built until 1979.

two years later ............. You are right of course Oggy, I meant at the south end of the ground.
  • I was there and at Reading. Reading was great, we done some Greaser, Rocker types on motorbikes on the way to the ground and then after that had it off with some male black people, as it got near the end of the match we looked out of the ground and there was a huge mob of male black people waiting for us...........it got a bit hairy but all good fun! Southampton was good too, if I remember right they came in the Covered End before the game and we chased them out, it proper kicked off that night!
  • [cite]Posted By: D_F_T[/cite]I as it got near the end of the match we looked out of the ground and there was a huge mob of male black people waiting for us...........

At that point, I was in Reading Infirmary with a broken nose and a broken jaw. I was beaten so badly before the match by that group you refer to that my mum didn't recognise me when I got home. I was 16 at the time.
  • [cite]Posted By: Stone[/cite]Definately in my top 10 Charlton games. I loved those Friday night games, always a better atmosphere in The Covered End !!!

Agree...Those old Friday night matches were magical. This one especially. Bowman was pure class on the night...
    Thinking about those great night matches, the 3-3 against Fulham, comes to mind. That was another cracker!
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Valley McMoist[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: D_F_T[/cite]I as it got near the end of the match we looked out of the ground and there was a huge mob of male black people waiting for us...........[/quote]

At that point, I was in Reading Infirmary with a broken nose and a broken jaw. I was beaten so badly before the match by that group you refer to that my mum didn't recognise me when I got home. I was 16 at the time.[/quote]

Like I said.....hairy!
  • Just slightly scary at Reading, I remember watching the gangs surrounding the ground and being told 'don't run or you will get a kicking at the next home game'