Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Tony Pulis at Stoke City

edited March 2013 in General Charlton

Anyone else feel that Stoke are going to do a Charlton??

They are claiming Pulis has taken them as far as they can go. They apparently need a change to take them to the next level bla bla bla...

He's done an absolutely incredible job with them hasn't he?

Echos of what happened with us with Curbs?

Comments

• Oh really?

• They've looked stale this season. Perhaps a change is due. The challenge of course is to appoint a good replacement. Appleton is back on the market
  • dizzee said:

Anyone else feel that Stoke are going to do a Charlton??

They are claiming Pulis has taken them as far as they can go. They apparently need a change to take them to the next level bla bla bla...

He's done an absolutely incredible job with them hasn't he?

Echos of what happened with us with Curbs?

There are some similarities, Stoke are definitely a team on a slight decline like we were when Curbs left, they aren't doing the 'Stoke' things very well (defending, long throws etc), so results have been poor recently. Pulis has done a decent job, but has had decent money to spend as well.

There's also the 'boredom' factor that sets in when a team has been midtable in the PL for a few years. Fans get fed up of Pulis/Allardyce 'pragmatic' football that keeps them midtable, and yearn for something more exciting to watch. A L1 promotion campaign perhaps :-)
  • Good on Stoke, midtable premiership football is as dull as dishwater.
  • Yes, I agree-seem very Charlton-esque, they should be careful what they wish for
  • Trouble for Pulis is that he plays a style which is liked when they win and do well but when Stoke have a run as they have had the fans get fed up and look for change.
  • It'll be so hard for them to change their style of play over night, get rid of pullis they are definetly going down. No one really plays such crap but effective football like him
  • They discussed this on 606 the other week and the host actually said a change might result in doing a Charlton
  • Hasnt Delap left Stoke ?
  • edited March 2013
    Delap's at Notts County I think. League 1 anyway, can't be bothered checking.

To do a Charlton they'd first have to hire a Dowie. Am not sure who they could potentially get in, but they couldn't possibly be that stupid.
  • Sponsored links:

• Along with Stoke I reckon Fulhams time will be over soon, ageing squad which will require rebuilding over the next few seasons
  • I reckon that Mowbray at Middlesborough is 'at risk', although Steve Gibson, the owner, is renowned for his loyalty towards his chosen managers
  • RedPanda said:

Delap's at Notts County I think. League 1 anyway, can't be bothered checking.

To do a Charlton they'd first have to hire a Dowie. Am not sure who they could potentially get in, but they couldn't possibly be that stupid.

• Was just thinking this the other day - next year will be Stoke's 7th straight season in the Premiership, that's the exact same number we managed from 2000/01-2006/07.

After a while people get 'accustomed' to a nice cushy Premiership life and forget - or discard - all of the hard work going on just to keep the team there.
  • There isn't a 'next level' for Stoke without extra cash no matter who is in charge and that's the case for a few sides in they league, I.e Everton, Fulham, Sunderland.

They should enjoy midtable football while it lasts with the odd win over a big side.
  • Hasnt Delap left Stoke ?

At Barnsley on loan

• Stoke have spent decent money so well done to the board for that.
    The problem is they are not scoring enough goals. Think they should get to the end of the season and then get rid of big Tone.
    Greater income from the new premier league and a new manager would bo good move in my opinion.
  • Its very similar if you ask me... 3 more years of not alot and they will start booing when they lose to Villa at home and then slowly but surely Pulis will leave and then the slide down the leagues and then cycle begins again ...
  • I wrote an article on this for a Stoke fanzine. The editor said many were making comparisons to the Curbs situation in opposition to letting Pulis go. I argued it wasn't Curbs' departure that truly screwed us, but the terrible mismanagement after he left. I felt that if they handled it carefully, it good benefit them...
  • I think at the current time they have a better squad than we had when curbs left ... its been so depressing seeing there rise as it was so similar to ours...
  • Sponsored links:

• remember we played Stoke not long into the first season down from the Premier League, seemed such a comedown at the time!!
  • Could their act of terrible mismanagement be to appoint Harry Redknapp and give him 50million to spunk away ?
  • Oakster said:

remember we played Stoke not long into the first season down from the Premier League, seemed such a comedown at the time!!

And they were the best team we played that season and they got promoted and haven't looked back.
  • edited March 2013
    <blockquote class="Quote" rel="The Red Robin"><blockquote class="Quote" rel="Oakster">remember we played Stoke not long into the first season down from the Premier League, seemed such a comedown at the time!!</blockquote>

And they were the best team we played that season and they got promoted and haven't looked back. </blockquote>
    We beat them at home towards the end of the season didn't we? Lloyd Sam header I believe. Remember at the time feeling like they were luck to get up! (But that was probably just my bitterness at the way our season completely capitulated!)
  • guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2013/mar/20/tony-pulis-stoke-city

"Stoke's net spend over the past five seasons is not far off £80m. To put that figure into context, only Manchester City and Chelsea have spent more."

THink that's the difference for me - Curbs was never given the 'next level' sort of money, Pulis is being given it.

The key would be who the replacement was, that's where we went so wrong (barring the fact we should have offered Curbs the £12m kitty Dowie spent and a chance to freshen up the squad).
  • Depressing that "do a Charlton" has become a verb. :(
    Are Stoke fans really clamouring for better football or winning something? Realistically some investment and a fresh manager could get them a bit further on, maybe Europe or a good cup run. Not sure who, or indeed who would suit Stoke's style of play (they're hardly going to start playing like Swansea are they?) Di Matteo might be a good bet.
    But I think they are currently fortunate in being one of those teams you wouldn't expect to be in the relegation fight even if they're never going to set the Prem alight.
  • I heard that up in Blackburn you get a weather forecast every night, followed by a manager forecast which apparently is less reliable.
  • rananegra said:

Depressing that "do a Charlton" has become a verb. :(
    Are Stoke fans really clamouring for better football or winning something? Realistically some investment and a fresh manager could get them a bit further on, maybe Europe or a good cup run. Not sure who, or indeed who would suit Stoke's style of play (they're hardly going to start playing like Swansea are they?) Di Matteo might be a good bet.
    But I think they are currently fortunate in being one of those teams you wouldn't expect to be in the relegation fight even if they're never going to set the Prem alight.

In a way they're as safe in the PL as we're safe in the Championship, 11th sounds good, but the gap between them and Villa (4 points)/Wigan (7 points having played 1 game more) isn't much, and they're on the slide while the other 2 are on the rise.
  • Difference is that PL points are gold dust to the bottom 3 or 4 but in L1 Posh or Brizzle could play Cardiff and get something.
  • Sacked tonight. Cubishley de ja vu, that'll be Stoke down next season.