Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

"Black Mirror" Charlie Brooker.

Taped this last night.
Worth watching ?

Comments

• I've just caught up with the first series, can't make up my mind if it's brilliant or dross. Probably worth a look, better than most of the fluff on tv
  • i watched it last night - interesting concept but I think they took it a step too far.....
  • Saw the trailer for this over the weekend and it grabbed my attention. Not seen the first series. I wait for the verdict of others before I decide whether or not to give it a go................
  • Be careful, apparently they took it a step too far. Whatever that means...?
  • Really enjoyed the first series - especially the one where the prime minister was forced to do a pig on national telly! Last nights was interesting and made you think so sets it apart from most TV but didn't think it was Brookers best. Worth watching though.
  • Liked last night's, quite creepy and Hayley Atwell is always worth watching.

• edited February 2013
    Saw the first half, got bored & turned it off.
  • Really enjoyed the first series - especially the one where the prime minister was forced to do a pig on national telly! Last nights was interesting and made you think so sets it apart from most TV but didn't think it was Brookers best. Worth watching though.

Spoiler alert!

• Interesting idea but it never really went anywhere. It was just the one idea for 40 minutes, unlike the Toby Kebbel one in S1 that had a lot more depth. It was ok
  • so...still undecided:
    Watch last nights or record the series of 3 and watch together ?
  • Sponsored links:

• i don't think each episode is linked. you could watch them in any order.

i watched it last night and thought it was alright. nothing great. taped the film "once upon a time in Anatolia" last night which was on around the same time. i'm looking forward to watching that.
  • None of them are linked I don't think.

Can't stand Charlie Brooker as a personality, left wing Jeremy Clarkson, but thought last series of Black Mirror was great and will make sure I catch up on this series.
  • There is very little that Brooker does wrong to my mind and Black mirror is up there with the best of his work.
  • Olly said:

There is very little that Brooker does wrong to my mind and Black mirror is up there with the best of his work.

Yep agreed.

• Was a good concept, but I think the 2nd half an hour struggled to build on the initial premise. Not bad but not great either.
  • Loved the first series - actually liked the pig episode the least, but thought the memory one was inspired.

I also taped the episode from last night and watched it today, and I loved it. Really intense.

No, the episodes aren't linked in any way at all, except that they draw their premise from being based on current/future technology.
  • First timer last night. Not bad but wouldn't rave about it.
  • Finally watched the first 2 episodes, "Be Right Back" & "White Bear", last night.
    BRB was okay, but WB gave me nightmares ! (Really terrific twist !!).
  • White Bear was easily the best of the 2nd series, although the main actress's constant crying/screaming got old really quickly, especially as she can do so much better. I know we were meant to feel sorry for her, but it went to far the other way and I ended up just getting irritated, even before the big reveal, which as mentioned was terrific.

The third one was not very good though, Charlie Brooker has never been particularly subtle but that one was like whacking all the viewers in the head with a massive hammer marked 'political message.' I just didn't enjoy it as much as the other two.
  • Watched both 1st and 2nd series over the past couple of weeks, fantastic stuff. Enjoyed all of them though the standout was definitely Entire History of You in the 1st series. I believe that is now being considered for a film.
  • Sponsored links:

• White Bear was the standout this series, and if the general public had their way that would probably be something realistic for the future. (Not that I agree with it)
  • White Bear was the standout this series, and if the general public had their way that would probably be something realistic for the future. (Not that I agree with it)

Whire Bear, and many of the episodes, irritated me for being to removed from reality. I ended up thinking it was pointless excersise as she doesn't remmber anything and therefore doesn't feel any guilt for more than a couple of hours. And although the public want to get involved in punishment, their interest wears off ver quickly.

I felt this way about the pig episode. The government does not negotiate with terrorists and the royal family know this and are trained on how to be hostages so the whole issue raised wouldn't ever be an issue. So the whole plot was flawed from the start. Which I couldn't stop telling the TV when I was watching it!

• During the 3rd episode I noticed quite a few tweets along the lines of "LOL we could do with one of these waldo things". Very worrying
  • edited February 2013
    Croydon said:

During the 3rd episode I noticed quite a few tweets along the lines of "LOL we could do with one of these waldo things". Very worrying

Talk about missing the point... (I mean the tweeters, not you.)
  • DRF said:

White Bear was the standout this series, and if the general public had their way that would probably be something realistic for the future. (Not that I agree with it)

Whire Bear, and many of the episodes, irritated me for being to removed from reality. I ended up thinking it was pointless excersise as she doesn't remmber anything and therefore doesn't feel any guilt for more than a couple of hours. And although the public want to get involved in punishment, their interest wears off ver quickly.

I think the public would get bored very quickly. But in the immediate aftermath of the crime, they'd happily have this kind of punishment applied. People would happily torture murderers because they see it as justice. It's the suffering she goes through, rather than the guilt that is her punishment.
  • I'm a big fan of Brooker - his sense of humour and style are unlike anyone else (in a good way). However, this series really hasn't grabbed me at all.

But there's a new series of his Screenwipe thingy on at the moment and last week's was absolutely hilarious. The fact that Doug Stanhope's on it too makes it even better. I think I prefer it when Brooker sticks to doing what he does best....
  • I'm a big fan of Brooker - his sense of humour and style are unlike anyone else (in a good way). However, this series really hasn't grabbed me at all.

But there's a new series of his Screenwipe thingy on at the moment and last week's was absolutely hilarious. The fact that Doug Stanhope's on it too makes it even better. I think I prefer it when Brooker sticks to doing what he does best....

Yep I like the Weekly Wipe or whatever they are calling it now, the crap adverts bit is absolutely hilarious. Doug Stanhope and Barry Shitpeas are excellent too.
  • Yep, Barry Shitpeas and Philomena Clunk on Brian Cox's new series was pure genius!
  • Thought the waldo episode was the best of the series, seemed the most realistic of the lot and somewhat related to modern society
  • Thought the Waldo episode was the worst of the lot; it seemed a very basic concept, so I waited the whole hour for it to start ramping up and take my interest. Unfortunately it didn't.
    But the first two episodes more than made up for that.

As for Brooker's Weekly Wipe, I couldn't agree more, I'm loving that too.