Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Skiing

Anybody Skiing in Europe this year going end of feb looking for a resort not to far from Geneva (2 Hours max) with a good Apres any suggestions?

Comments

• Going to Pila/Aosta at the end of feb for a week brilliant skiing and not bad nightlife either be my 4th visit in as many years
  • Use to go up Woolwich Barracks years ago, all gone now though!
  • Morzine isn't far from Geneva. Huge ski area (Porte du soleil) and pretty lively apres.

I always go to Val d'isere, love it out there, great apres and awesome ski area, although is about 3/4 hours from Geneva which really is a bit of a trek.
  • Decided on Verbier in the Swiss ALps going on thursday the snow hasnt stopped this month so should be great conditions
  • I am going to the snowbombing festival for a week 1st April - 6th April in Mayrhofen. Ive been to the resort before in Feb and it was brilliant. Not to sure what the snow will be like in April but the week is going to Epic regardless of snow!
  • I love skiing. Went twice with the school about 10 years ago but haven't been since then.

How cheap could you get a skiing holiday in europe. Would love to go again.
  • If you went with UCPA all inclusive excluding travel about £700.00 for the week including skis, ski pass, food but no drink

Went to Pas de la casa last year for a week come to around £1,200 for the week but the snow was bare however this year they have rakes of it
  • edited February 2013

Decided on Verbier in the Swiss ALps going on thursday the snow hasnt stopped this month so should be great conditions

One of the best resorts I've ever been to. My mate has got a ski-in Ski out chalet on the other side of the Valley at La T'zoumaz but it's all part of the same ski area. last time I went was 4 years ago and we were enjoying the apres so much we missed the last chair back to the top of the mountain and had to get a cab back from Verbier. It cost us €200...Ouch
  • Went to Chatel in January, only about hour & a half from Geneva. Loved it!
  • I can't wait ok it's a little trumpy but half term week was always gonna be. Though off piste seems out of bounds few avalanches last few days
  • Sponsored links:

• going this morning, bank holiday here in Alberta & a ton of snow yesterday = joining the crowds at Lake Louise..
  • Avalanches happen all the time in Verbier so watch out. We just missed this one
  • edited February 2013
    I'm going to Tignes / Val d'siere on Friday. Only my 2nd skiing holiday and not been there but supposed to be good apres. Can't wait to get pissed for a week. And do a bit of skiing as well.

It is apparently a long transfer from Geneva but we are getting the Ski Train, 9 hours over night direct from St Pancras, 7 hours in the day coming back the following week. When you factor in all the transfers and getting up at 3 in the morning to trek to the airport, makes much more sense and drops you right at the foot of the mountain so just a quick bus ride up. Worth baring in mind. Depends where you live obviously, if you're out in the sticks getting to the airport might be more practical.
  • I've never done the train but have drove down in about 8 hours with 4 in the car always worked out quite cheap
  • When I went Italy with the school, the first time took 24 hours by coach and the second time took 22 hours. Fck doing that again
  • edited February 2013

I'm going to Tignes / Val d'siere on Friday. Only my 2nd skiing holiday and not been there but supposed to be good apres. Can't wait to get pissed for a week. And do a bit of skiing as well.

It is apparently a long transfer from Geneva but we are getting the Ski Train, 9 hours over night direct from St Pancras, 7 hours in the day coming back the following week. When you factor in all the transfers and getting up at 3 in the morning to trek to the airport, makes much more sense and drops you right at the foot of the mountain so just a quick bus ride up. Worth baring in mind. Depends where you live obviously, if you're out in the sticks getting to the airport might be more practical.

I got back yesterday, I have taken the train for the last 7-8 yrs now but this last visit I decided on the overnight train - but I'll never do it again! It's soooo tiring! Yes it's great that you can get on at Ashford and the next stop is Moutiers, when I get off, but I found it impossible to get any sleep whatsoever. Oh and definitely book Standard Premier, the extra £30 or so is worth it as the seats are a fraction bigger and on the day train you get fed 2-3 times and twice on the overnight.

The train is by far the cheapest and IMO most comfortable way to go, also (as long as you don't take the p*ss) the baggage allowance is generous, I frequently take a large rucksack, skis, a large holdall and a boot bag.
  • Oakster said:

going this morning, bank holiday here in Alberta & a ton of snow yesterday = joining the crowds at Lake Louise..

I haven't been ski-ing for over 10 years, but before that I went almost every year for around 10 years. Coldest I've ever been was on a chair lift at Lake Louise - bloody thing stuck half way up & we sat there for what seemed likes ages just gently swinging in the crisp, cold air......-20 degrees!!!
  • I've never done the train but have drove down in about 8 hours with 4 in the car always worked out quite cheap

I went with JimmyMelrose and a few of his (then) work mates in a mini-bus to France.............he drove most of the way & was pretty p****d off at the end.

I've also been by snowtrain...........not a bad way of getting to the slopes but had to leave the UK on a Friday afternoon to get there for the Sat.

• Oakster said:

going this morning, bank holiday here in Alberta & a ton of snow yesterday = joining the crowds at Lake Louise..

I haven't been ski-ing for over 10 years, but before that I went almost every year for around 10 years. Coldest I've ever been was on a chair lift at Lake Louise - bloody thing stuck half way up & we sat there for what seemed likes ages just gently swinging in the crisp, cold air......-20 degrees!!!
    Yep - the wind if it's coming eastwards down the valley is brutal. Lots of Brits there today as well. Do you remember where you stayed Golfie - the Chateau Lake Louise per chance?
  • No, we actually stayed in Banff (cheapie 3/4 star hotel & not the Banff Springs !!) and got the snow coaches to either Lake Louise or the smaller resort which currently escapes my mind.
  • Sponsored links:

• Been to Vail, Colorado a few times, awesome. Skiing in the US is such a wonderful experience. The sheer vastness of it all is breath-taking. All the lifts are 4 or 5 man chairs, no silly button lifts or tee-bars. No queues and no pesky Europeans!
    To be honest skiing is the only thing I like about the USA!
    Hope to go there this Christmas.
  • Have you tried grass skiing?
  • Riviera said:

Been to Vail, Colorado a few times, awesome. Skiing in the US is such a wonderful experience. The sheer vastness of it all is breath-taking. All the lifts are 4 or 5 man chairs, no silly button lifts or tee-bars. No queues and no pesky Europeans!
    To be honest skiing is the only thing I like about the USA!
    Hope to go there this Christmas.

Have been to Colorado for last 4 years (Breckenridge/Winter Park) and we love it. Always amazed at how many Brits are there. As you say Riviera, the reason I hear is that people are generally more polite, know how to queue for lifts and service is better. Not much of a cost differential. I know Denver/Salt Lake are probably 10 hr flights from London but may be worth looking into if you fancy a change.
  • Breckenridge, Beaver Creek, Keystone....love them all. The flight and transfer is a bit of a pain but worth it. I must say that the Yanks are the most welcoming of people and they simply love us Brits. I went the winter after 9/11 and they all seemed to want to thank us personally as they thought everyone was scared to travel to the US.
  • Just about to get in the car and do the 250km from mine to st moritz. Not been before but supposed to be a decent area.

As a general tip, i have grown to love the free gps app Alpine Replay. Great to be able to compare ur stats to friends over multiple seasons. Good way to preserve memories of some great days. Great app

Corberts Colouir, usa. What the hell is that about? :)

• Anybody going skiing/snowboarding this year? I've just booked a week in Argentiere near Chamonix at a friends apartment, it's my 10th year, cannot wait!
  • Val Thorens at Easter.

I can't wait.
  • edited January 2017
    Off to Ishgl in just over 3 week.... CANNOT WAIT !!
  • Most weekends - too bloody cold out here at the moment though - it's been a harsh winter so far! Not that much snow compared to usual a well. Loads of Brits over here in Banff though...
  • Oakster said:

Most weekends - too bloody cold out here at the moment though - it's been a harsh winter so far! Not that much snow compared to usual a well. Loads of Brits over here in Banff though...

Lake Louise- coldest place I've ever skied. One day they told us they wouldn't open the lifts until the temperature got above -40.