Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jamie Carragher

Has announced his retirement come the end of the season. He is a rarity in the modern game, a one club man who always gave his all for the football club he initially joined as a striker. I am no great lover of Liverpool FC but have always admired the unstinting devotion given the club by its fans and some long serving players. Carragher has played over 700 first team games and I suspect that Stephen Gerrard will also retire having spent an entire career at Liverpool.
Good luck in your retirement Jamie, see you (probably) on the skysports pundits couch

Comments

• see you (probably) on the skysports pundits couch

God I hope not! I absolutely hate the scouse accent and his is so thick it's virtually indecipherable!

• he's done ok in his recent appearances but should have hung em up /moved on from liverpool a few years back
  • Not a fan of nearly anything about Liverpool but nice to see he has decided to retire as a one club man rather then head off to America/Australia or wherever else for one last big pay check.

• I would be more impressed if he had been a one club man at Rochdale or Blackpool, or a similar club...
  • I would be more impressed if he had been a one club man at Rochdale or Blackpool, or a similar club...

Why on earth would he do that?

Doesn't matter how much money you earn or what level you're playing at - to be at one single club for 26 years without showing desire to go anywhere else deserves the highest level of respect in the game.
  • Will Liverpool be holding a minutes silence at the end of the season

If someone at one of those clubs turned down a big money deal because of there 'love for the club' id think they was an idiot.

wtf?
  • The Carragher One has a nice ring to it. Do they need another chip on their shoulder though!

Maybe when he was 9 he should have said "I'd rather go to Rochdale and spend my entire career there, people will like me more then"!

• Sponsored links:

• edited February 2013
    Not a fan. Complete scumbag in my eyes. From his autobiography...

'I've got two brothers who find it hard to work in Liverpool in this Capital of Culture year. One of the reasons is we've made it too easy for all those foreigners to come here and take our jobs.'

[...] Liverpool teammate Rigobert Song:

'He strolled off to all his French speaking friends and began talking to them. I could see him pointing towards me while everyone was grinning. It was clear what he was saying and the rage inside me simmered.

'Later, Song walked on to the training pitch with a smile on his face. He was limping off it with a grimace an hour later. The first chance I got, I did him. Never have I hunted down a 50-50 tackle with greater appetite

"You're not f***ing laughing now are you, you soft t**t?" I said as he hobbled away.

'Did I care he had a knock? No way. I don't remember him or anyone else in the squad for that matter trying to take the **** out of my ability again.'

When my leg was broken in an horrific tackle by Lucas Neill in September 2003, my mates were ready to hunt him down if I gave the go-ahead.

A few weeks later I received a phone call. “You won’t believe this, Jay. We’re in the Trafford Centre and Lucas Neill is walking straight towards us. What do you reckon?”

Did I really want Neill to take a crack? “There’s only one problem,” added the voice. “Little Davey Thommo is with him.”

That was that. I could hardly let one of my best mates, David Thompson, now a Blackburn player, become a witness to an assault. Besides he’d have recognised the attackers. The impromptu mission was aborted and I sent a text to Thommo telling him Neill should give him a hug of thanks.

As word got back to Blackburn about the near miss, or should that be hit, their coach Terry Darracott, a Scouser, appealed to one of my friends to call the boys off. I agreed.

Stupid.
  • RedPanda - if that's what he admits to in his autobiography, then what on earth else does he think/ get up to that he wouldn't put in print?
  • edited February 2013
    RedPanda said:

Not a fan. Complete scumbag in my eyes. From his autobiography...

'I've got two brothers who find it hard to work in Liverpool in this Capital of Culture year. One of the reasons is we've made it too easy for all those foreigners to come here and take our jobs.'

[...] Liverpool teammate Rigobert Song:

'He strolled off to all his French speaking friends and began talking to them. I could see him pointing towards me while everyone was grinning. It was clear what he was saying and the rage inside me simmered.

'Later, Song walked on to the training pitch with a smile on his face. He was limping off it with a grimace an hour later. The first chance I got, I did him. Never have I hunted down a 50-50 tackle with greater appetite

"You're not f***ing laughing now are you, you soft t**t?" I said as he hobbled away.

'Did I care he had a knock? No way. I don't remember him or anyone else in the squad for that matter trying to take the **** out of my ability again.'

When my leg was broken in an horrific tackle by Lucas Neill in September 2003, my mates were ready to hunt him down if I gave the go-ahead.

A few weeks later I received a phone call. “You won’t believe this, Jay. We’re in the Trafford Centre and Lucas Neill is walking straight towards us. What do you reckon?”

Did I really want Neill to take a crack? “There’s only one problem,” added the voice. “Little Davey Thommo is with him.”

That was that. I could hardly let one of my best mates, David Thompson, now a Blackburn player, become a witness to an assault. Besides he’d have recognised the attackers. The impromptu mission was aborted and I sent a text to Thommo telling him Neill should give him a hug of thanks.

As word got back to Blackburn about the near miss, or should that be hit, their coach Terry Darracott, a Scouser, appealed to one of my friends to call the boys off. I agreed.

Point A) He's hardly the first person to make such a comment is he?
    Point B) I'd have done the same.
    Point C) I think you're entitled to feel aggrieved when someone has "done" you like Neill did. Have you seen the tackle? Was no more cowardly than the planned retribution (not that it happened).
  • Try just reading exactly what I wrote, rather than putting your own spin on it chaps.
  • I've read it again and I still don't get it. Why would being at Rochdale all that time be more impressive?
  • edited February 2013

I would be more impressed if he had been a one club man at Rochdale or Blackpool, or a similar club...

I can see where you are coming from in terms of showing loyalty to a low profile club particularly when there are probably likely to be more managerial changes and thus risk of "not been fancied."

That said 700 plus games at the top tier of the domestic game is deserving of respect given the pressures on a club like Liverpool to buy in high profile players.

He has done well to survive.
  • It is a lot easier to remain loyal to one of the most successful clubs in the world earning a seven figure sum every year than it is to play for a run of the mill club (I could just as easily have said Charlton) for your whole career. I meant no more than that.
  • Yep still can't see your point??
  • Sponsored links:

• If he had spent his career at rochdale we wouldn't be having this discussion,
  • uncle said:

If he had spent his career at rochdale we wouldn't be having this discussion,

Why not Unc? If he had announced his retirement after 700 games for a mediocre club, there would still have been enough coverage in the sports press and media for us fans to be well aware of it.
  • It is a lot easier to remain loyal to one of the most successful clubs in the world earning a seven figure sum every year than it is to play for a run of the mill club (I could just as easily have said Charlton) for your whole career. I meant no more than that.

Ŷet a huge majority don't stay at one 'big' club.
  • uncle said:

True..isn't there a Hartlepool player who has such a record.

Decent pro and good player.

But where on earth does a small club like Rochdale, Blackpool or Charlton even come into the discussion? Are you going to turn round and say exactly the same when Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes retire, just to try and undermine someone who is hugely successful?

At the end of the day, loyalty is loyalty - doesn't matter what level you are at.
  • edited February 2013
    Staying at a mediocre club without winning anything could be seen as having no ambition or want of a challenge to test yourself. Staying at a big club shows a constant level of good ability, especially when he's won the FA cup, league cup, European cup and UEFA cup...now that's impressive.
  • uncle said:

True..isn't there a Hartlepool player who has such a record.

Decent pro and good player.

Ritchie Humphries is the bloke you mean I think but he hasn't played 700 matches.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ritchie_Humphreys
  • Easy to be loyal when your on 70K a week and not £500 like he would have been at Rochdale.
  • Staying at a mediocre club without winning anything could be seen as having no ambition or want of a challenge to test yourself. Staying at a big club shows a constant level of good ability, especially when he's won the FA cup, league cup, European cup and UEFA cup...now that's impressive.

Wasn't Le Tissier tarred with that brush of having no ambition? For staying loyal to one club and not trying to succeed at a bigger club.... Seems you're dammed if you do and dammed if you don't.

• Staying at a mediocre club without winning anything could be seen as having no ambition or want of a challenge to test yourself. Staying at a big club shows a constant level of good ability, especially when he's won the FA cup, league cup, European cup and UEFA cup...now that's impressive.

It could, or it could be seen as loyalty.