Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rhoys Wiggins (pg.12 - retires from football)

Does anyone know the latest situation with Rhoys Wiggins? The last I heard he was hoping to return from injury about the same time as Yann Kermorgant.

Comments

• Played 60 mins this week and 60 mins a couple of weeks ago in reserve matches.
  • Travelling with the squad to Blackburn but is likely to be another fortnight from a return to the team
  • So that would make him fit for Palace?! Not sure if he would like that idea...
  • Looking forward to seeing him back and getting the last 3 months or so of the season to establish himself at this level. Opens up another option for us on the left as well. We may well have a go at doubling up with him and Evina on the left and Solly and Wilson on the right.
  • So that would make him fit for Palace?! Not sure if he would like that idea...

Be very surprised if he started. Harsh on Ceddy too, he's stepped in and stepped up better than I expected if I am honest, silly mistakes notwithstanding. But Rhoys will be challenging soon enough I am sure. We don't even know if Wiggo's nemesis will still be at Selhurst by then anyway!
  • Even if he was fit for palace id bench him, wasn't up to it last time and got injured because of it
  • Bench him anyway. Doesn't matter who it's against, Evina is playing well and deserves to be starting.
  • edited January 2013
    Agree - Evina stays at LB and gets more games under his belt.

I like the idea of Wiggy doubling up with Evina too.
    Great combination of pace and flair, good covering and overlap.

Wiggy coming back will seem like a new signing.
  • Wiggy, Waggy, Wiggy, Waggy oi, oi, oi
  • As soon as he is fit enough he goes straight in at left back. I know Evina has done well and it might seem harsh but Wiggo is one of our best players and the second name on the teamsheet after Solly.
  • Sponsored links:

• As soon as he is fit enough he goes straight in at left back. I know Evina has done well and it might seem harsh but Wiggo is one of our best players and the second name on the teamsheet after Solly.

Totally agree
  • edited January 2013
    CP has always said that he favours the player who has the shirt and it is up to others to displace him. Wiggins must fight to get the shirt back. No player has a divine right time the shirt.
  • Wiggins is twice the player of Evina. That's by no means a dig at Cedric, as he has handled himself reasonably well. Wiggins is just different class.
  • Evina knows he'll have to perform in the next few games. Whatever it takes he has to make the lb position his own and quickly.

He signed on a two year deal in 2011, there is no guarantee that he'll get offered another one this summer, and in anycase i'm not sure he'll sign up for another couple of years if he thinks he'll still be second choice.
  • cafctom said:

Wiggins is twice the player of Evina. That's by no means a dig at Cedric, as he has handled himself reasonably well. Wiggins is just different class.

This! not to say evina is a bad player but wiggins is pure class and nearly on par with solly, without doubt one of our best players
  • Evina knows he'll have to perform in the next few games. Whatever it takes he has to make the lb position his own and quickly.

He signed on a two year deal in 2011, there is no guarantee that he'll get offered another one this summer, and in anycase i'm not sure he'll sign up for another couple of years if he thinks he'll still be second choice.

Or if he is dropped just because Wiggins has recovered.
  • J BLOCK said:

cafctom said:

Wiggins is twice the player of Evina. That's by no means a dig at Cedric, as he has handled himself reasonably well. Wiggins is just different class.

This! not to say evina is a bad player but wiggins is pure class and nearly on par with solly, without doubt one of our best players
    Powell won't be too desperate to rush Wiggy back.

Wiggins has just missed 4 months of the season - he'll need a bit more game time in the U-21s before he's ready to dislodge Evina.

And Ceddy's improving game on game now. So no rush.
  • Evina keeps the shirt for me, for now.

Wiggins on the bench once he's ready to go. He could be seen as an attacking option, we've missed his pace and ability to put high quality crosses into the box whilst on the move.
  • Have to stick with form, Evina keeps the shirt until Wiggins come's of the bench to make the LB spot his own.

Especially as what if Wiggins started got injured again, we have now lost Wiggins plus destroyed the confidence of young promising player in Evina.

• as much as a good player wiggins is, he has to fight for the shirt now that evina's settled there. All good competition.
  • Sponsored links:

• I'm glad Ceddy has played well (especially at Watford), it means we for once have the luxury of not rushing someone (Jacko/Fuller/Haynes) back before they're 100% ready. It'll be better in the long term.
  • Have to stick with form, Evina keeps the shirt until Wiggins come's of the bench to make the LB spot his own.

Especially as what if Wiggins started got injured again, we have now lost Wiggins plus destroyed the confidence of young promising player in Evina.

Agree 100%. I was scathing of SCP's decision to play Solly out of position after Wiggy's injury instead of giving Evina a chance. If that had been me I'd have been asking for a transfer as I clearly didn't figure in the manager's plans. But he stuck in there and when his chance finally arrived he did pretty well until he himself was injured. After his recovery I think he's played extremely well and it would be a bodyblow to be dropped back to the bench purely on the basis that Wiggins is fit again. Wiggins needs to earn his place back, not simply be given it.

• Evina is out of contract this summer and other Championship clubs are sniffing around. Could leave this window unless we tie him down quickly, has done well and would hate to lose him.
  • Depends how much, dunnit. Wiggins fit and back in the team, Evina out for £5 million looks like a good bit of business.

Oh, sorry.

;0)
  • Depends how much, dunnit. Wiggins fit and back in the team, Evina out for £5 million looks like a good bit of business.

I'd sell any member of our team, and their family, and my family for £5m.

• Yeh, it's easier to put loss into perspective from the balcony of a villa in Barbados.
  • Maybe Evina can play on the left in front of Wiggins at some point. That said, could be too similar and Wiggy's eventual return might make the need for a traditional left winger less pressing, as it sometimes needs the more advanced player to tuck in to give him the necessary space. Just a thought.
  • What none of us know is how well Wiggy is going to be like when he comes back , and what toll his injury has taken on him , its a great chance for Ceddy to prove himself and show Chris Powell that he's up to the job , can only be a good thing imo.
  • Wiggins is probably one of my favourite players at charlton, I think he is class....however, we have won both our league games this year with Evina at LB and if Wiggins comes straight into a winning team and Ceddy is dropped, CP is in danger of sending out the wrong message to his players.

First loss or poor performance from Ceddy is probably the right time to do it.
  • Would like to see Evina at LB with wiggins on the left wing. Wiggins has always loved to get forward and them to swapping positions could be really good especially with their pace