Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Save Lewisham A&E

@SaveLewishamAE: Remember to sign the petition to save lewisham A&E and maternity services! http://bitly.com/QPVHlU ” Please save local A&E!
Retweeted by SaveLewishamA&E

Comments

• In my Opinion, WE MUST ALL FIGHT THIS. I'm not a betting man, but I would have a good guess that 90% of people on CharltonLife have, or know someone who has, needed Lewisham A & E at some stage in their life.
  • For all info on the motion, how to lodge your objection, future meetings, petitions, protests &rallies: http://www.savelewishamhospital.com/ #savelewishamAE
  • You can register your feedback to these proposals at http://www.tsa.nhs.uk/ - the consultation perfiod is open until Dec 13th
  • Incredible they're proposing this. Where is the nearest A&E if this goes, Woolwich? Guys? Keep up the good work MOG & Rob.
  • Being away from the area these days all I am hearing is about hospital closures in my old neck of the woods! Can anyone tell me what is still open in a triangle roughly of Lewisham,Bromley and Dartford ish ?
  • @SaveLewishamAE: Remember to sign the petition to save lewisham A&E and maternity services! http://bitly.com/QPVHlU ” Please save local A&E!

thoroughly agree MOG have done my bit ...was born there and have had to go to a and e a few times ..if it did close it would literally mean the difference between life and death to some people in the area
  • richie8 said:

Being away from the area these days all I am hearing is about hospital closures in my old neck of the woods! Can anyone tell me what is still open in a triangle roughly of Lewisham,Bromley and Dartford ish ?

Pretty sure Bromley got knocked down and replaced with flats...
  • A and E in Farnborough

• edited November 2012
    richie8 said:

Being away from the area these days all I am hearing is about hospital closures in my old neck of the woods! Can anyone tell me what is still open in a triangle roughly of Lewisham,Bromley and Dartford ish ?

St Thomas's In Southwark
    Queen Elizabeth's in Woolwich
    Princess Royal University Hospital in Orpington
    Darenth Valley in Darford.

These are the only hospital with A&E departments serving the south east london area if they close Lewisham.

• I'm actually going to miss the Huddersfield game so that i can attend the march against closure, it is the first time I have ever voluntarily missed a home game, thats how strong I feel about this
  • Sponsored links:

• Dansk_Red said:

richie8 said:

St Thomas's In Southwark
    Queen Elizabeth's in Woolwich
    Princess Royal University Hospital in Orpington
    Darenth Valley in Darford.

These are the only hospital with A&E departments serving the south east london area.

And there is apparently talk of closing Darenth Valley A&E too!

• Im totally shocked at how many have gone and they still want to close more! There must be some horrendous waiting times if youve been injured!!
  • Have heard they've talked about closing the Princess Royal one as well
  • richie8 said:

Im totally shocked at how many have gone and they still want to close more! There must be some horrendous waiting times if youve been injured!!

That's assuming you can even get to the A&E in the first place. With fewer and fewer facilities available the distance to your nearest A&E will usually be increasing by a significant amount. Getting there, either under your own power or in an ambulance, when time is a critical factor becomes increasingly difficult. I was living in Sidcup when they closed Queen Mary's A&E and that left the nearest A&E as Queen Elizabeth. With the best will in the world, if you have had a heart attack, stroke, serious injury etc, and are unlucky enough to suffer this in rush hour, the chances are you're going to be dead or have suffered from not having your condition treated promptly, long before an ambulance even gets to you, let alone gets back to the hospital.
  • edited November 2012
    If more & more businesses fold , then more and more services will be cut , i don't think we've hit the bottom yet with the economy , without taking into account mismanagement of the NHS.
  • edited November 2012
    Forget the Hippocratic Oath.

Cash For Killing is all the rage in the NHS now. I've seen it twice with members of my family so I'm pleased to see it officially ackknowledged as the usual suspects probably wouldn't believe me.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/9644287/NHS-millions-for-controversial-care-pathway.html#

EDIT: the article says "terminally ill" anyone will be "terminally ill" if starved and dehydrated to death.

It's euthanasia by the back door to relieve pressure on beds in my opinion.

http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/commentandblogs/2012/11/09/jeremy-hunt-orders-an-inquiry-into-the-liverpool-care-pathway-and-says-patients-and-relatives-must-be-consulted-but-will-the-doctors-pay-any-attention/
  • edited November 2012
    LenGlover said:

Forget the Hippocratic Oath.

Cash For Killing is all the rage in the NHS now. I've seen it twice with members of my family so I'm pleased to see it officially ackknowledged as the usual suspects probably wouldn't believe me.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/9644287/NHS-millions-for-controversial-care-pathway.html#

EDIT: the article says "terminally ill" anyone will be "terminally ill" if starved and dehydrated to death.

It's euthanasia by the back door to relieve pressure on beds in my opinion.

http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/commentandblogs/2012/11/09/jeremy-hunt-orders-an-inquiry-into-the-liverpool-care-pathway-and-says-patients-and-relatives-must-be-consulted-but-will-the-doctors-pay-any-attention/

Meanwhile the staffing situation is a joke. I know that due to midwifes being understaffed and overworked (consecutive 12 hour night shifts without any breaks are standard) babies have been lost due to malpractice there due to physical and mental fatigue.
  • PFI
    5 million newcomers
    birth rate explosion
    economic melt down

the perfect storm
  • As you know, not good at words, but, can't understand how jeremy hunt has something to do with with the "LewishamA&E" closure, whilst fighting for his local hospital (Kingston ? West London ?) to stay open. Surely our "Elected People" would not con the country ? Would they ?
  • I understand the importance of bailing out a country we have strong ties with, likewise banks and that the NHS was very top heavy etc etc, but how can they not find the money to keep an A&E ward open when there are so few ones nearby?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2012
    This is a very visable example of the effect of this governments austerity measures. In no way am I trying to belittle what is happening to your local A&E, just the opposite in fact, but this sort of thing is going on all over the country in all sorts of public services. It's just that the general public may not know about it until they need those services and, sadly, I suspect in many cases not even care about it happening until it effects them or theirs. Well played for getting involved and raising awareness of this Moggie and you certainly have my support.

In the meantime we can find £75m(?) to run an election that no one wanted except the Tories and the Lib Dem MP's went along with...you really couldn't make it up could you?
  • If Lewisham goes there will be one A&E to cover the boroughs of Lewisham Greenwich and Bexley. That's over three quarters of a million people. And it's just been refurbished to the tune of at least £12M.
    My daughter raised about going on the demo - we may miss the Hudds game as well.
  • Forgot to say, Queen Elizabeth currently takes from Greenwich and Bexley and is often full up, meaning ambulances are diverted to Darenth Valley or Lewisham (!).
    More info here http://www.savelewishamhospital.com/
  • This is a disaster our local hospitals are a mess as it is, hmgov must step in and sort this
  • rananegra said:

Forgot to say, Queen Elizabeth currently takes from Greenwich and Bexley and is often full up, meaning ambulances are diverted to Darenth Valley or Lewisham (!).
    More info here http://www.savelewishamhospital.com/

I can assure you that both Darenth Valley and the PRU are closed more than the QE. In fact, it's very common for Ambulances to be asked to avoid DVH without them officially being put on an official divert.

• edited November 2012
    I've coined a slogan, which may be used - you heard it hear first. "Don't get sick in Sidcup". Here in Bexley we're obviously concerned about Lewisham A&E, but we're also worried about what's happening/happened to Queen Mary's Sidcup. We apparently have the support of our MP, against his own party, so we'll see how far he wants to push it. We also have the support of a prominent local Tory councillor, so interesting times!

We do feel that the whole closing Lewisham A&E could be a smokescreen to deflect attention away from what is happening elsewhere.

It's complicated, but the reason why Queen Mary's can be shafted has a lot to do with the PFI fiasco - ironically because it is NOT involved, whereas the other hospitals in the healthcare trust are and the PFI has tied them in for 20 years-worth of costs.
  • Natalie Beaumont ‏@MissNattersB
    My daughter wouldn't be here if it wasn't for the wonderful NICU staff at Lewisham, 4 months of her life she was there @SaveLewishamAE
  • I have signed it. Got sewn back up in there after a very traumatic and lively Saturday night in Catford in 1980. 40 stitches in the back of the head and the top of my right ear sewn back together. Taught me a very valuable lesson that night, that there is always someone bigger and harder than yourself. Lewisham A&E in those days was like something out of the Crimea, absolute carnage but as is our wonderful NHS, they patched everyone up with no fuss and sent us on our way.
  • Lucy Mangan: the NHS, a cautionary tale http://gu.com/p/3bn6h/tw via @guardian. Great article on the threat to Lewisham Hospital.
  • This would be a disaster. It may not be the most modern hospital, and it may be very busy but I have been there after a serious incident and they were excellent. Lewisham hospital covers such a large area for the emergency services, where are the ambulances meant to go? The PRU is miles away, QMH has closed its A and E, QEH is far and KCH is even further. This can only be bad news for emergencies. Very worrying in my opinion.