Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Animals

Not millwall fans...

I've grown quite fond of animals in general this year as like an extra hobbie, mostly wildlife orientated. It made me want to study biology again with the thinking of becoming a zoologist. It's definatly the best kind of science...

I watch all Attenboroughs docs and bought quite an amazin book worth £70 for just £3 second hand on amazon titled "Animal".

I have enjoy bringing my interesting facts to the pub.

My favourite animal is the rare Bonobo Chimp that lives in central Africa, instead of fighting with each other during conflicts, they just mate as a peace offering. They have a nice nature, I don't like hippies but they share some of their characteristics, quite a contrast to the regular chimp where all they do is fight for dominance.

For lifers that have a genuine interest in animals, I'd just like ask, what is your favourite?

Comments

• A hippo just think they look mental

• Big cats. Tigers, Leopards, Jaguars. Awesome beasts - the Snow Leopard and Amur Tiger look like they were designed by someone from 100% awesome. Lions are a bit 'meh' though.
  • Y

Big cats. Tigers, Leopards, Jaguars..

Love Jags, theres a good youtube vid of one tearing into an anaconda quite an amazing battle the jaguar wins.
  • I love creepy crawlies. There are so many types, they are absolutely fascinating to watch and everyone has them in their back yard. Here's some I photographed for our local wildlife park:
    http://www.barlingmagna-pc.org.uk/reserve/gallery_jonlaysell.html
  • Got to be Owls for me......The Barn owl in particular, but we have been lucky enough to have a Powerful Owl roost in our garden. We are blessed to have parrots here in abundance and they have their own little characters...the Rainbow Lorikeets, King Parrots, Eastern Corella's, Sulphure Crested Cockatoos.....all eat out of my hand.....I even had a gang of Brush Turkeys when we lived up at Palmy. We also have very tame Brush tail possums and their babies who regularly come and sit on our laps whilst munching bananas....
  • Dolphins.

They taste just like chicken.
  • dog
    dont like cats
  • Dogs, love me dogs.

Have a watch of the Ricky Gervais stand-up called Animals, that's quite funny in parts...
  • Been into nature since the year dot, mainly because of Attenborough. It's seriously worth looking into doing an Earthwatch project if you've money to spare... I spent a couple of weeks in Alaska studying flying squirrels! Great stuff
  • I have a few... Obviously my name alludes to one, lemurs I find fascinating, but also slow lorises who I've just raised over £700 doing a half-marathon for. Google 'run loris run' if you want to know a bit more about them.

Primates in general I love, went to Asia last year to see gibbons and orangs in the wild.
  • Sponsored links:

• Birds of all kinds and like TEL, I am also a fan of owls, though I'm sensing you might not be in the London area TEL.
  • Yeah - I love the lesser primates too. Lorises and Pottos are amazing. Tarsiers are brilliant too - those eyes bore into your soul!

My wife bought me one of those 'feed the Lemurs' experiences a couple of years back - one of the best things I've ever done. Having them swarm all over you while they eat out of your hand was brilliant.
  • I got laughed at at work last week for saying if I could live someone elses life it'd be Sir David Attenborough's. Not the life of a rockstar for me, couldn't think of a better way to spend my life, travelling around the globe, studying wildlife.
    Couldn't narrow down a favourite as I love all animals but special mentions to orangutans, cappuchin monkies, manatees, bears, elephants and otters.
    Plus I think I was a sloth in a previous life, same laid back attitude.
  • Tamarin monkeys are this weeks favourite. Rather fond of the gecko that lives in the beer store in our bar too.
  • Agree on tigers and leopards, plus really like penguins, have since I was little and still do.
  • I loved attenboroughs frozen planet too, you gotta love polar bears.

Best thing about that was seeing an Eskimo climb down a mountain and go to such extreme lenths just to catch an egg.

It's like the ultimate opposite of "lazy". Great watch and really interesting.
  • Don't like Lions or Eagles.
  • Yeah - I love the lesser primates too.

Millwall?
  • The animals in Madagascar are amazing... Lemurs, especially aye ayes are really cool - they have one long bony finger for pulling grubs out of trees.... Indries that look like big black and white teddy bears and sifakas which run sideways on two feet with their arms in the air like ballerinas
  • Sponsored links:

• For further interest I might order Richard Dawkins book 'The god delusion' it's probably quite interesting!
  • McBobbin said:

The animals in Madagascar are amazing... Lemurs, especially aye ayes are really cool - they have one long bony finger for pulling grubs out of trees.... Indries that look like big black and white teddy bears and sifakas which run sideways on two feet with their arms in the air like ballerinas

Drunk in Bristol but anyone going to the game, look out for some goon wearing an "Real men love lemur" shirt.

• Who could forget The House of the Rising Sun, We Gotta get out of this Place, etc?
  • McBobbin said:

The animals in Madagascar are amazing... Lemurs, especially aye ayes are really cool - they have one long bony finger for pulling grubs out of trees.... Indries that look like big black and white teddy bears and sifakas which run sideways on two feet with their arms in the air like ballerinas

It's only a film.
  • Very droll mr Mehmet
  • Inspired by this thread I watched an hour of pygmy goats on You Tube today. Warmed my heart.
  • Tamarin monkeys are this weeks favourite. Rather fond of the gecko that lives in the beer store in our bar too.

We had a crested geko mate was a great pet feeding it live bugs

It licked its own eyeballs as it had no eye lids and had sticky feet

We had a crested geko mate was a great pet feeding it live bugs

It licked its own eyeballs as it had no eye lids and had sticky feet
    Clive ( for that is his name ) is magic at climbing, never seen him do the eyeball thing though...
  • They are great mate the sticky feet are wicked
    He used to climb all over my head

Got to watch the eyeball thing
  • Birds of prey.