Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Would you want this bloke with his finger on the button ?

edited September 2012 in Not Sports Related
Mitt Romney doesn’t understand why we can’t open airplane windows

He's conquered the world of business and soared to enormous political heights. Could aeronautical engineering be next for Mitt Romney? The GOP presidential nominee wowed a crowd over the weekend with his keen grasp of physics when he lamented that airplanes don’t have windows, appearing to view it as a problem that could be fixed in jiffy with a patent and a couple of good engineers. Speaking about his wife's emergency landing Friday, Romney said: "When you have a fire in an aircraft, there’s no place to go, exactly, there’s no — and you can’t find any oxygen from outside the aircraft to get in the aircraft, because the windows don’t open. I don’t know why they don’t do that. It’s a real problem."

Comments

• edited September 2012
    But, do you understand how planes get up there in the first place? As someone who has flown a few miles, I still don't see how huge chunks of metal get in the sky. Mind you, people are amazed that I haven't opened the bonnet of a car for 20 years.
  • I have little faith with the majority of American people but if they vote him into the white house i will have no faith in them at all. I might not agree with some of the things obama has done/said but this Mitt (Mitch) guy is not only a bit of a moron but he is also devious and possibly dangerous.
  • Even one of there best ever Presednets JFK called himself a beaf burger and was a male slut.

Obama won a nobel for doing nothing 3 days after he came to office

Another was famous for having a monkey as a co star

It all total boolx over there
  • Would be interesting to see whether he'd send a NASA mission to Planet Kolob.
  • I don't know why they don't have outside toilets on the wing - the smell of a blocked one can currently ruin your flight. Mind you- wouldn't be so bad if you could open the window.
  • This is worrying, but I'm slightly more worried about the Chinese buying an aircraft carrier.
  • It is going to have to be one almighty big bag to carry an aircraft.
  • There's so many things wrong with what he said, even if you completely ignore the fact that a plane is a pressurised container, so having opening windows would be a catastrophe.

Firstly, the incident he is referring to was the cabin filling with smoke, so the passengers being unable to breath, and his solution is openable windows, because there's no where else to get oxygen from:
    1) There are oxygen masks, so there is somewhere to get oxygen from.
    2) At 30,000ft there is very little oxygen outside, you suffer from oxygen deprevation at less than 20,000ft.
    3) At 30,000ft it's -50 to -80, so exposure, etc. would be far worse than the smoke in the plane, especially as it'd be a 500mph -50 degree wind.
    4) If there was oxygen outside, and it wasn't freezing, then the last thing you want to give a potential fire is an ample source of oxygen

The man is a moron.
  • A total tool.

Obama will get in by default!
  • Doesn't matter who gets in . The same sh#t will ensue.
  • Sponsored links:

• He's a Mormon. In my book, they are all completely loopy to buy into that, so tells you everything you need to know.
  • @sagalout at the moment they can only operate helicopters as they have no planes capable of landing on a flat top. They also lack arrester gear and have no experience of landing jets on a carrier. Best reports suggest the they are 5/6 years away at the moment.

China's military growth does warrant some cause for concern but the Yanks have countered and will base a carrier squadron in northern Oz.

Just goes to show that power has shifted from the Atlantic to the Pacific.

As for Romney, I still hope the Americans have some form of common sense left and see through his blatant lies and scaremongering.
  • I just want Obama in because he's as cool as ice:

• Is nuclear war still a realistic prospect ? .. I'm sure that one man, especially a cardboard cutout who managed to get himself elected president, no longer has the final say
  • I am a Mormon and I think that this guy is about the worst thing that could happen to America in terms of their politics. Other Mormons are generally very conservative in nature so seem to think that this guy would be great. I genuinely doubt he is completely mentally stable and I'm pretty sure that Obama will win anyway.
  • cafcvfr said:

I am a Mormon and I think that this guy is about the worst thing that could happen to America in terms of their politics. Other Mormons are generally very conservative in nature so seem to think that this guy would be great. I genuinely doubt he is completely mentally stable and I'm pretty sure that Obama will win anyway.

No-one except for Mormons, racists and septuagenarian alzheimer sufferers will be voting for Mitt the twit ...mind you,. in the USA that adds up to quite a few votes
  • It's a pity that so much of the media is so "in the tank" for Obama, then people in the UK might see that this country (the U.S.) needs a Republican in the White house to undo some of the damage that has been done over the last four years. Mitt Romney is a smart guy, and America needs to get Obama out before he does any more damage. Mitt Romney might not be the best choice, but he's the only hope we've got to get Obama out. God save us from four more years of Obama.
  • There are more than a few racists, and septuagenarian alzheimer sufferers in the U.K as well, some of whom would love to live in the U.S., alongside the Mormons, who generally wish no harm to others and generally wish to be left alone to their beliefs.
  • limeygent said:

It's a pity that so much of the media is so "in the tank" for Obama, then people in the UK might see that this country (the U.S.) needs a Republican in the White house to undo some of the damage that has been done over the last four years. Mitt Romney is a smart guy, and America needs to get Obama out before he does any more damage. Mitt Romney might not be the best choice, but he's the only hope we've got to get Obama out. God save us from four more years of Obama.

Lord have mercy - are you for real? I really didn't think there was anyone as snooker loopy as the yanks over here - clearly I was wrong.
  • limeygent said:

It's a pity that so much of the media is so "in the tank" for Obama, then people in the UK might see that this country (the U.S.) needs a Republican in the White house to undo some of the damage that has been done over the last four years. Mitt Romney is a smart guy, and America needs to get Obama out before he does any more damage. Mitt Romney might not be the best choice, but he's the only hope we've got to get Obama out. God save us from four more years of Obama.

Lord have mercy - are you for real? I really didn't think there was anyone as snooker loopy as the yanks over here - clearly I was wrong.
    You can't have a discussion without making personal insults, I need to make no further comment.

• Sponsored links:

• limeygent said:

I think you'll find limeygent lives in the States so probably has better first hand knowledge than us looking from afar.

Similar to the way the Americans think Blair was a good PM.

• I live in the States and I and many people here have the opposite view to limeygent. Many think Romney is the Democrats best chance of getting another term.
  • It's not a matter of opinions. The man believes in magic pants, is a dangerous right-wing lunatic, has the intelligence of a box of wet hair and potentially has his finger on the button of an expanisonist-protectionist regime that is becoming increasingly irrelevant and desperate to assert its authority on the world so it can retain some form of economic power.

I'd say that 'opinions' are a bit moot - for anyone outside the US, Romney would be an unmitigated disaster. Hell, for 95% of people INside the US, Romney would be an unmitigated disaster.
  • edited September 2012
    Go on then limeygent. Tell us about Obama's 'damage'.
  • I have my own business. In a time when unemployment is so high, because of Obama's health care reform, I have had to cut back on my company insurance plan and cancel plans for expansion.
    When Obama took office the US was 10 trillion dollars in debt, now it's 16 trillion. He loaned 90 billion dollars to failing "green" companies who had contibuted to his election, and the latest, it took him a week to acknowledge that the recent murder of the US ambassador to Libya and others was a terrorist attack rather than a "demonstration". That's a start.
    I've been in The States since '72, this is the worst President since then, and that includes Carter and Ford.
  • Limeygent, is this why republican states have changed the law to prevent voter fraud where it does not exist but prevents a large number of blacks, elderly etc,. who are prominent Democratic supporters from voting. The new rules that republicans have tried to pass disenfranchise the poor and under privileged. If the republicans are going to win and follow a world wide agenda of democracy then surely they should win fairly.
  • limeygent said:

There are more than a few racists, and septuagenarian alzheimer sufferers in the U.K as well, some of whom would love to live in the U.S., alongside the Mormons, who generally wish no harm to others and generally wish to be left alone to their beliefs.

I'd be a bit suspicious of the Amish.
  • His health care reform is to attempt to get a reasonably costing health care available to all and not just for those who happen to have a job with benefits. An admirable aim I would say. Republicans generally think of themselves and their dollar bottom line above everything else.
  • Jayajosh said:

limeygent said:

There are more than a few racists, and septuagenarian alzheimer sufferers in the U.K as well, some of whom would love to live in the U.S., alongside the Mormons, who generally wish no harm to others and generally wish to be left alone to their beliefs.

I'd be a bit suspicious of the Amish.
    I live very close to The Amish in "Pennsylvania Dutch" country, they too are very happy with their seemingly odd way of life, and generally wish no harm to others.

• Kap10 said:

Limeygent, is this why republican states have changed the law to prevent voter fraud where it does not exist but prevents a large number of blacks, elderly etc,. who are prominent Democratic supporters from voting. The new rules that republicans have tried to pass disenfranchise the poor and under privileged. If the republicans are going to win and follow a world wide agenda of democracy then surely they should win fairly.

Maybe you could be a little less "general".