Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Free loft insulation

Anyone had it??
Any hidden costs????
Tales of caution???
Taaaa

Comments

• Had the Wall cavity instulation done but chose against the loft as we have too much crap in there to move out. 100% free, they were literally in and out the house in about an hour.
  • Cheers mate, just cleared out lofts, fella coming round to look later,
  • Ok cool, def worth it mate. Most big companies like British gas are doing it free aswell.
  • Had plenty of companies coming round offering this service. All fine until they see my loft hatch is so small, you can't even poke your head through. To get it done, I'd have to have a bigger hatch installed.
  • M&S are offering it at the moment if anyone is interested?
  • To get it done, I'd have to have a bigger hatch installed.

or get someone really small to do it

• i recently started a yacht building company in my loft.

sales went through the roof.
  • Any links for both of cavity and loft freebies ? Our house is freezing in the winter
  • Sponsored links:

• I've got so much stuff up in my loft I reckon I don't need the extra insulation! Old CAFC programmes, Magazines, kids toys, enough crockery to open up a medium-sized shop, etc.
  • Had it done when I was unemployed. It was offered to us. Had loft and cavity walls done. Totally free, no problems. It made a difference to the whole house. The gas and electricity consumption was/is definitely down. If you qualify for free, get it done.
  • does it sound proof walls too as we have noisy neighbours!?
  • No, I don't think so. I think you will have to get an ageing gangland leader round to nail them to the floor. See 'Charlie Richardson' thread.
  • he has/d plenty of friends on here it seems so shouldn't have any problem finding someone!
  • does it sound proof walls too as we have noisy neighbours!?

It does a bit .. my place is cosier and less echoey ... and so far warmer .. all for free
  • Anyone know how much it is for cavity wall insulations if you have to pay for it?
  • Anyone know how much it is for cavity wall insulations if you have to pay for it?

round here (Linc/Yorks) 800 -1000 for a medium sized detached house .. but there are so many offers about you should get it for free or @ a big discount
  • Feck that - a mate had his loft done and now it is practically out of use because what they did is to spray loose fibre insulation stuff all over the place and he could not see the joists and therefore is unable to walk on them - his stuff is still downstairs and in the garage because of that - he wishes that he did not order it even for free - he tried to complain but it is all in the small print so beware of this!!
  • Anyone had it??

Any hidden costs????
    Tales of caution???
    Taaaa

Get it done, well worth it, got ours done through Tesco- sub contract company
    called Kershaws did ours didn't cost a penny got them back for cavity wall 4 weeks later same deal although because of square metreage of house was over limit by 8sq mtres we had to pay £5.00 psm total £40.00 abs bargain of l
  • Sponsored links:

• My mother in law had her loft insulation done for free and the fella chucked in an extra 6 rolls which are sitting in my garage waiting for when I can be arsed to get up there!
  • Feck that - a mate had his loft done and now it is practically out of use because what they did is to spray loose fibre insulation stuff all over the place and he could not see the joists and therefore is unable to walk on them - his stuff is still downstairs and in the garage because of that - he wishes that he did not order it even for free - he tried to complain but it is all in the small print so beware of this!!

I double up my joists and boarded over a section of my loft to form a platform where I can stick the suit cases and Xmas decorations. 270mm thick insulation through out the loft, not a joist to be seen. I know no one sticks to this but a loft usually is not designed for storage. To much weight and you end up with cracked ceilings.

British Gas did my loft and walls last winter for nothing. The upstairs rads are now near redundant.
  • I thought that with the cavity wall insulation, they drill holes all over your outside walls, meaning you then have a load of holes, some high up to fill & paint ? Am I wrong ?
  • I thought that with the cavity wall insulation, they drill holes all over your outside walls, meaning you then have a load of holes, some high up to fill & paint ? Am I wrong ?

you're wrong .. they drill thru the mortar and then fill in the holes .. after a couple of days you'll be hard put to see where the holes were .. IF they do a proper job

Yep. Holes everywhere. I needed to repaint my house anyway.
    They fill them but not good enough to leave unprepared.
    My neighbour had his done, his being a plain brick house, fared better. They drilled through the mortar and then plugged with a good matching mortar.

• Cant see the holes in my walls.
  • A fella knocked at my door the other week trying to tell me I could get my loft insultated for free.

He looked a bit "iffy" and it felt like a scam so I told him to fuck off. Maybe I was a tad harsh?
  • good money in this if you work in construction, was fitting insulation in oz a couple of years back
  • edited September 2012
    Off_it said:

A fella knocked at my door the other week trying to tell me I could get my loft insultated for free.

He looked a bit "iffy" and it felt like a scam so I told him to fuck off. Maybe I was a tad harsh?

To be honest i did the same. Mainly because when he told it was a government requirement and when i asked him about charges (because he didn't say it was free) he looked confused and he couldn't give me anything to read to confirm what he was saying. Maybe i will look into this more now.
  • In my defence he didn't tell me it was free