Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Lapland/Lapland UK

edited September 2012 in Not Sports Related
Anyone been to the real one or the one in kent ? Any good ?

Comments

• Didnt the one in Kent get shut down?? I seem to remember the owner getting fined because it was such a scam, dont quote me but there was one in this country that got done and I thought it was Kent
  • I was thinking of the one in the New Forest so ignore me :-)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/dorset/7765080.stm
  • Lapland UK is really good. I recommend it. Took my daughter 2/3 years ago and she loved it. Quiet expensive but closer the time they start doing bogof on weekdays that aren't full up.
  • Been to the Lapland in Lapland. Twice actually. Once with kids when they were younger and nearly stopped believing in FC. They saw the real one in his grotto. Reindeer, husky rides, the full works for four days. Stunning holiday.
  • Lapland in Lapland is brilliant. Husky rides, skating, skidoos, reindeer rides. I'd love to have the money to go back. I wouldn't worry about father Christmas though, you can see him in Lakeside or Bluewater.
  • 1/4 of a million people in an area twice the size of England (I'm talking REAL Lapland, not the grotto in Kent), mountians, lakes, huge rivers, wild life; nice, wealthy people, it's empty, prosperous and expensive .. and in summer the mosquitos, as large as humming birds, will eat you alive
  • The Kent one was fantastic. I took my son when he was four and he believed it all, and they have some great activities for the kids.

It was outrageously expensive for what it was. I think we paid nearly £300 for the three of us, but Christmas is so magical for children I would say it was well worth it. I wouldn't go a second time, but I would definitely recommend it to anyone wh has children that still believe.
  • The Kent one was fantastic. I took my son when he was four and he believed it all, and they have some great activities for the kids.

It was outrageously expensive for what it was. I think we paid nearly £300 for the three of us, but Christmas is so magical for children I would say it was well worth it. I wouldn't go a second time, but I would definitely recommend it to anyone wh has children that still believe.

ouch !!! .. it would only have been a bit more expensive to go to the real place ... mmmmmmmm .. on reflection .. nah it wouldn't
  • Not sure I'm liking what I'm reading.

What do you mean "he believed it all"? What's not to believe?
  • Cheers all , both are lumpy price wise . The real one sounds like the place to go
  • Sponsored links:

• Not sure I'm liking what I'm reading.

What do you mean "he believed it all"? What's not to believe?

The kids get to help the Elves make some toys for Santa to deliver, then you get to me Santa's wife and decorate a gingerbed man, then she tells them a story. Then you get to go to the special post office where you can send Santa a personalised letter, then you get to see Santa's 'actual' Reindeer. Then at the end you get to meet the Fat Man himself.

My son believed all of it. He believed that all the helpers were actual Elves, he believed he was making toys to help Santa out and he believed that he'd been read a story by Santa's real wife - Mother Christmas. Then the grotto is very realistic, and the Santa is the most professional looking Father Christmas I've ever seen.
  • smiffyboy said:

KHA my two were the same totally believed the whole thing. Also get to do ice skating at the end

Yes. My son was too young to ice stake, but I had a go. I told my son I was good at it, and I was looking very flash until I went over arms and legs spread out like an X. I did no real damage, but I was in a bit of pain for a while. Needless to say I came off immediately. I haven't been anywhere near an ice rink since.

I'd completely forgotten about that until you reminded me.

The more I think about it, the more I think it was a great day out for us.

I am completely obsessed with Christmas though - probably something from m childhood.
  • Thinking of going to real lapland next year with kids (7 and 4). Plan on 3 or 4 nights...

Any tips on where/ tour operator / anything else greatly appreciated
  • edited December 2018
    Canterbury travel - think we did 3 nights , maybe 4. Amazing. Stunning place to go and absolute fun.Magic trip - few years back.
  • edited December 2018
    The real thing takes some beating but takes a bit of saving up. Spent Christmas with the family in Levi Fell (fly into Kittila) a few year back. Got down to -26 but very dry and no wind so was (almost) bearable. Sat on balcony on Christmas night and watched the northern lights whilst my beer froze. Sun doesn't rise so a few hours of "grey light" a day - quite strange.

Go with a decent tour operator and you get all of the experiences included. Canterbury good, also look up Inghams - good product and reputable / reliable operator (and you can add a bit of floodlit skiiing in as well if you like). Unlikely to get availability for this year, but that's not a bad thing - there is no snow at the moment and its raining instead (once in a generation weather). Snow is forecast for the end of this week.
  • Looks amazing, once our little one is about 5 or 6 think we'll get over there...
  • Dazzler21 said:

Looks amazing, once our little one is about 5 or 6 think we'll get over there...

that's the youngest most operators would recommend (if not in the brochures, in real life). Any younger and the cold can be too just much. I'd say best age is 7 / 8 - still "believing" but old enough to do everything and appreciate it. It would also give you a couple more years to save up!
  • Sounds spot on then! Cheers!
  • Dazzler21 said:

Looks amazing, once our little one is about 25 or 26 think we'll get over there...

:smiley:

• We went last year 23rd to 27th December and it was incredible. Kids were 5 & 9 which was perfect.
    Amazing place, stunning scenery and Canterbury Travel did a fantastic job.
    Cost was around £6.5 - £7k for 4 of us but worth every penny as it was truly magical.

Moonlit reindeer safari to view the northern lights was the most relaxing thing I’ve ever done and all whilst snuggled up with my daughter. Perfect!

We booked through Go Travel who liaised with Canterbury Travel and booked it all up.

I can’t recommend it highly enough...the memories will live on forever
  • Sponsored links:

• Went in 2007 with Transun and it was fantastic. Stayed at Lake Hetta. Snowmobiles and Husky rides were the favourites within our party, that and seeing my (then) 80-year old mother in law going downhill on a tea tray. Santa was OK, but at least one of my kids was too old. Reindeer ride was ok, but a little sedate for us.
  • Thanks everyone, really useful info. Did anyone do ice fishing whilst there?
  • I rarely get jealous of anything but this thread does it for me!

Kids are 8 1/2 and I’m gutted the utter magic of Xmas will be coming to an end soon :-(
  • My kids are 5 and just turned 8 and they are questioning if Santa is real.
  • If you don’t believe you don’t receive
  • MrOneLung said:

My kids are 5 and just turned 8 and they are questioning if Santa is real.

@SantaClaus have a word.