Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Nottingham Forest vs Charlton - Saturday 1st September - Preview, Predictions, Teams, News & Views

edited August 2012 in General Charlton
Introduction

With the resident team of Preview Towers all away trying to agree deadline day deals for Francis Jeffers, Hermann Hreidarrson and Sam Sodje, I have the tough task of previewing a trip to Nottingham for Chris Powell’s side. After a more than encouraging first week of the season which saw the Addicks remain unbeaten, the last four days of rumour has led fans and Powell himself begging for closing time Friday night. At the time of writing, no players have left the Valley but with offers apparently on the table for Chris Solly and Dale Stephens and the deadline 30 or so hours away, a lot could have changed by 3pm on Saturday afternoon.

Opposition

Where to start? It’s been a rather interesting summer for Forest fans. The arrival of new owners from Kuwait has led to the sacking of manager Steve Cotterill and the appointment of one of his backroom staff, Sean O’Driscoll. The ex Doncaster Rovers boss has spent over £5 million on the squad and with players such as Henri Lansbury and Simon Cox now at his disposal, there’s an expectation both from owners and fans of a crack at promotion. Both players mentioned should start at the City Ground and there should be a few ex-Addicks in Greg Halford and Andy Reid in the starting eleven.

Potential Line Up

As mentioned before, a lot could have changed by kick off but if the same squad is on the coach on Saturday morning, then expect an unchanged team. Ben Hamer will look to continue his good form with new signing David Button taking his place on the bench. The back four will remain the same, but if Solly ends up in East London, Lawrie Wilson could make his full league debut. Dorian Dervite continues on the bench after Matt Taylor was ruled out for a month.

In midfield, Bradley Pritchard could move into the centre if Stephens moves to a hotel room in Birmingham with Danny Green or rumoured Forest target Scott Wagstaff starting on the right. And with Ricardo Fuller not fit enough to make the 18 until a certain local derby, Bradley Wright-Phillips and Yann Kermorgant will remain upfront.

Prediction

Like all Charlton fans, I remain hopeful that the same eleven who played in the goalless draw with Hull step out on Saturday in black and send 750 Addicks fans back to SE7 delighted with a superb performance and 3 points. 2-1 and a BWP double.

COYR!

Comments

• I saw Forest twice in the last week. I think if we can snuff out Andy Reid (all their play goes through him) and Simon Cox, who is a top goalscorer at this level, then we have a decent chance.

I'll go 1-2 to Charlton.
  • 2-0 Forest (but i'm a pessimist).

Cox is an excellent player.
  • 1 all. difficult difficult, lemon difficult. not massively impressed with forest. i think we have the better manager to get a draw
  • se9addick said:

2-0 Forest (but i'm a pessimist).

I cant remember the last time a preview predicted us to lose. Has to be said that this is a tough game. We will do well to get anything out of it, but always have chance.
  • 1 1 for me, they have the money, we have the better setup to get a result.
  • 2-1 Forrest just to much fire power
  • Charlton 3-1... With a late goal ....
  • It'll probably be something like 1,100 addicks and I'm going for 2-0 Charlton. Jackson penalty after BWP is tripped through on goal and Forest have a man sent off. Morrison header for the second.
  • se9addick said:

2-0 Forest (but i'm a pessimist).

I cant remember the last time a preview predicted us to lose. Has to be said that this is a tough game. We will do well to get anything out of it, but always have chance.
    tbf we haven't lost much in the last year.
  • Going for a draw again..
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2012
    Quote:tbf we haven't lost much in the last year

We havent been in the Championship for the last year.
  • Quote:tbf we haven't lost much in the last year

We are doing fine at the moment.

• Forest looked impressive against Bolton last Friday and I have a bad feeling about this one. If we can keep a Cleen sheet in the first 25 minutes we can get a result , if not I can see us losing by a couple of goals.
    2-0
  • Quote:tbf we haven't lost much in the last year

aint we? didn't realise.
  • edited August 2012
    Cox, Reid, Moussi, McGugan just to name a few of the quality they have up in their final third.

Going to be a very tough game, I think it will be key if we keep either Solly or Stephens. Keep them and we get a draw after a good hearty performance. One or both leave and we'll find our unbeaten run come to an end.

If they stay, same team and 1-1 draw.
    If they go, 2-1 loss.

• Does anyone know how Forest will line up. Are Reid and Lansbury both likely to start and if so will it be in a 4-5-1?

• Lansbury out confirmed. Picked up an ankle knock in training
  • DeeBee said:

Lansbury out confirmed. Picked up an ankle knock in training

I bet the player who was due to be dropped made sure he clattered Lansbury.

I know I would.

;o)

• Mixed messages from the Charlton performances over the first week leave me a bit undecided on how we'll do. I also think CP is finding his feet and playing the cautious approach. Having said that I'm going for a 2-1 win to us. We'll keep on the front foot (ala Birmingham) without a half time downpour to bog us down.
  • Sponsored links:

• Haven't felt confident about this one all week and I hardly ever predict a Cafc loss but i can't see us getting anything here.

2-0 forest

Prove me wrong lads
  • Just watched local BBC news here in East Midlands....Lansbury defo not playing as not fit.....no other injury news on Forest just yet but will try and post if I hear any more.
  • Really hard to read this one. O'Driscoll gets his teams playing, and they have a couple of players like Andy Reid who can hurt you, and you can't legislate for what they might do.
    However they seem a little vulnerable in defence at the moment.
    If we can keep it tight, certainly not go a goal down or we will lose I reckon, then a set piece goal may well prove to be an'equaliser before they score'.
    I would be elated if we can win, not too downhearted if it is an honourable defeat, and pretty pleased with a draw...I think we may get away with a 0-0 or a 1-1, but this division is still so new to us it is hard to forecast, especially at Forset with their new manager.
    Just maybe we have a stunning individual performance from one of ours, built on a solid team effort.
  • First defeat of the season. 0-2.
  • Difficult game but our away form is decent so predict 1-1. BWP
  • Years ago we always used to get thumped at the City Ground but that was then and this is now. That said I think it will not be good 3-1 Forest.
  • If it doesnt rain we'll be 2-0 up at half time. 3-2 by the end.
  • Tough tough tough.
    Forest 2 - Addicks 0
  • Bad vibes about this, only time I have been to forest we got stuffed, a few days later we beat Man U at Old Trafford. 3-0 Forest hope I am wrong.
  • 0-2 (Stephens, Solly)
    Meanwhile in the real world....