Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Oh City Ground or Valley Floyd Rd ?

edited August 2012 in General Charlton
Same tune but Which came first ?

Comments

• city ground
  • But which is best?
  • they play mull of kintyre before games. i think our 500 might get drowned on saturday
  • Oh dear. My Forest mate here in Prague confesses he sometimes lurks here. He once "proved" to me that theirs came first, but I was too drunk to remember his argument.
  • I once heard a story that theirs came first, I cannot remember it though.
    I hope you all found this post usefull.
  • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mull_of_Kintyre_(song) , they have been signing it since the 70's according to wikipedia.
  • ah but whose is faster? ;)
  • Their version was first but ours is better... and faster.
  • Their version was first but ours is better... and faster.

I was looking for the link to like...
  • Sponsored links:

• They always sing it prior to kick off after the teams have come on the pitch literally when they are about to kick off. All our fans need to drown out their version with our version.
  • I think vfr would sound alot better sung slower, would of been nice to do forest away this season, to hear there version.
  • Our version rolls of the tongue so much easier. They have to prolong the word City to much for my liking. Therefore ours is best. Well thats my take on it.
  • Ciiiiiiiiity ground!

Doesn't flow very well.
  • They don't do a verse, just repeat the chorus. No Many miles have I travelled...
  • just seen theirs on you youtube(sorry dont know how to do a link). our's is much better. i think they did come with the chorus but thats all they sing. sounded pretty good before a game though.
  • edited August 2012
    Forest's came first...remember them singing that in the late 70's.
  • Sung in our covered end when we were unable to shift 20 of their top boys, the year they got promoted to League 1 (1976 ish). Won the League 1 title the following season - that will never be done by another club again. We won 2-1 - one of the great Friday night games of that period.
  • Forest first - several threads on this before I think.
  • Seem to remember Fulham having their own version of this as well
  • Sponsored links:

• Sung in our covered end when we were unable to shift 20 of their top boys, the year they got promoted to League 1 (1976 ish). Won the League 1 title the following season - that will never be done by another club again. We won 2-1 - one of the great Friday night games of that period.

Another mob that took the Covered End!

Yeah, that's when they smashed up Charlton Village.
  • According to wiki, Mull of Kintyre was released Nov 77.
  • edited August 2012

Sung in our covered end when we were unable to shift 20 of their top boys, the year they got promoted to League 1 (1976 ish). Won the League 1 title the following season - that will never be done by another club again. We won 2-1 - one of the great Friday night games of that period.

Vaguely remember that night, Forest did come into the Covered End, but I thought they were 'ushered' out.....more like 78-79 though?

Sung in our covered end when we were unable to shift 20 of their top boys, the year they got promoted to League 1 (1976 ish). Won the League 1 title the following season - that will never be done by another club again. We won 2-1 - one of the great Friday night games of that period.

• Lots of cover versions are better than the original.
  • edited August 2012

Vaguely remember that night, Forest did come into the Covered End, but I thought they were 'ushered' out.....more like 78-79 though?

From what I can remember the only supporters (outside of London) to have 'taken' the Covered End were Sheffield Wednesday...FAC 4th Rd...around 76-78...around 2-3000 got in there at around 2pm when there were only 100 or so Charlton in there....please correct me if I've got this wrong....it was a 'while' ago and I was only 13-14 at the time.
  • Obviously London clubs have taken it ie Millwall, Spurs, Chelsea and West Ham. Arsenal had half of it at the Les Gore testimonial and though it pains me to say Palace, had the eastern half in late 70's when their team of the 80's had their promotion season. Match finished one all.

Outside London teams? Wednesday certainly and others tried - Stoke and Leicester spring to mind - as my mate famously commented at the time " they were still scraping the Leicester off the terraces six months later!"

A real right field one as I was on the old east terrace in early 70's but I thought we played a friendly one night against St Johnstone and sure I saw a commotion in the CE. May have been MIllwall, but also remember at about the same time being crushed behind the goal at Bexley United when Airdrie scored a goal. Was in the days when Scottish clubs fans looved playing in England.
  • edited August 2012
    Wednesday were certainly there in numbers but there were a lot more than 100 charlton ... quite a large number of us were standing next to them in the Covered End all game singing Charlton songs ... Cherry Orchard, Middle Park and others
  • stonemuse said:

Wednesday were certainly there in numbers but there were a lot more than 100 charlton ... quite a large number of us were standing next to them in the Covered End all game singing Charlton songs ... Cherry Orchard, Middle Park and others

I meant a 100 Charlton at 2pm...yer by KO was a thousand or so....also Brum had a right go in the early 80's...but we managed to force them back out...reckon 50% of Charlton's mob were Skinheads in those days.