Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Let's nominate Chris Powell for a gong

edited August 2012 in General Charlton
I'm serious.

I was listening to the Today programme and a guy who is involved in the Honours List process mentioned that any citizen can nominate somebody. Here is a government page about the process and hints about what they look for in a suitable candidate.

Just off the top of my head, and I'm sure we can collectively improve this, I would think of these things in support of Chris:

1. A role model professional footballer who appeared to have modest prospects but through outstanding dedication to his work, finally became a full England international at the age of 31

2. An outstanding disciplinary record; (according to this website) he only picked up one yellow card in his entire career

3. Remarkable appreciation level from fans at all his clubs ; voted all time cult hero by Southend fans; POY at Derby;

4. Served as PFA chairman for several years

5. Outstanding performance as manager in his first full time role, at Charlton

6. His overall public presence both as player and manager - how he has developed his career, how he behaves, how he speaks to the media - provides an outstanding role model for young people, over 25 years, at a time when media scrutiny has tended to cast most people in football in an unflattering light

What do you all think?

Comments

• Agreed, but isn't Keith Peacock first in line for Charlton gongs? I did hear Lee Bowyer turned down his offer of a Knighthood tho'.
  • Oddly enough this thought crossed my mind a little while ago. Great idea and would be well deserved too.
  • MBE is the only one their I can see as a possibility, and even that is a bit of a stretch at this moment in time I think.
  • cafctom said:

MBE is the only one their I can see as a possibility, and even that is a bit of a stretch at this moment in time I think.

Following your point I found this useful Wikipedia page which lists all football people with gongs. Take a look, it will surprise you...

David James? Teddy -dentist chair-Sheringham?? Robbie Earle?? Mark Hughes?? Garth Crooks??

Provides an interesting bit of context, eh?

• Prague - good idea. As I understand it, the nomination process is pretty demanding with lots of supporting facts and details needed. Also, not unusual for nominations to be made 3 or 4 times (2 per year, new years and Queen's birthday) before any reaction - and you don't get any feedback on quality of nomination, how it was viewed, or progress. But it would be a wonderful accolade if it could be achieved.

Other plus may be his impact on diversity/race relations.

Downside might be his relatively poor disciplinary record as a manager, somewhat in contrast to his record as a player.
  • cafctom said:

MBE is the only one their I can see as a possibility, and even that is a bit of a stretch at this moment in time I think.

Following your point I found this useful Wikipedia page which lists all football people with gongs. Take a look, it will surprise you...

David James? Teddy -dentist chair-Sheringham?? Robbie Earle?? Mark Hughes?? Garth Crooks??

Not necessarily.

David James has 50+ England caps and has had a TWENTY-FIVE year playing career which included winning the FA Cup aged 38.

Mark Hughes scored over 100 goals for Manchester United and managed his country for five years.

Chris Powell, as much of a legend as he is at Charlton, is not a 'legend' across the game like the aforementioned.
  • any mention of fashion sense?
  • cafctom said:

cafctom said:

Not necessarily.

David James has 50+ England caps and has had a TWENTY-FIVE year playing career which included winning the FA Cup aged 38.

Mark Hughes scored over 100 goals for Manchester United and managed his country for five years.

Chris Powell, as much of a legend as he is at Charlton, is not a 'legend' across the game like the aforementioned.
    OK, take your point on those you cite above. What about Robbie Earle and Garth Crooks?
  • I thought he was going to be knighted. Why else would people refer to him as 'Sir' Chris Powell?
  • cafctom said:

cafctom said:

Not necessarily.

OK, take your point on those you cite above. What about Robbie Earle and Garth Crooks?
    Both done a lot of work for charity

• Sponsored links:

• 75% are nominated for charity or voluntary work.
  • cafctom said:

cafctom said:

Not necessarily.

Both done a lot of work for charity

not to forget their outstanding work as TV pundits ;-))

• Garth Crooks was one of the first majorly successful black players in the English game. One of the first black players to score in a cup final and the first black PFA chairman.

Robbie Earle is held in the same sort of regard for BOTH Wimbledon and Port Vale as Chris Powell is for Charlton. Probably the only real comparison of any on that list to our own CP.
  • edited August 2012
    I'd love to see Chris Powell honoured in this way - but feel it's a bit premature just yet.

It will be interesting to see what the next 5 or 10 years brings;
    maybe that's his time for honours?

Meanwhile, he's already been knighted here at Charlton.
  • Personally I think the suggestion is laughable, in our eyes the guy is a hero and "Sir Chris" etc but outside of SE7 he is a relative nobody.

MP's are debating this issue as I write this saying too many "gongs" are awarded to people who do not deserve them and I would put CP in that bracket at least at the moment.
  • A bit of research about charity work he has done and forwarding racial harmony and opportunity would clinch a gong for him IMO.

• 2. An outstanding disciplinary record; (according to this website) he only picked up one yellow card in his entire career

Sorry Prague but actually that states he had 1 red card and 20 yellow cards!
  • Prague, I like the idea. It might be a little early, but I suspect we'd need to play more to the 'services to football/community' angle a little. I doubt one successful managerial season is a strong enough argument.

Unlike others I think most football people, supporters included, are very well aware of Chris Powell - it really isn't just a one club thing. There are various stories out there about the quiet things he does, unsung, to contribute to the community and to the wider game. It's these, I think, that we need to shout about if we're to nominate him.

So long playing career, international, PFA chairman, yes. Role model, absolutely. I think the community angle might be worth pursuing, and I know he's been involved with Kick It Out etc.

Thinking ahead a little, I wonder if it would be possible to get previously honoured people like Paul Elliot, say, to champion any nomination?
  • sam3110 said:

2. An outstanding disciplinary record; (according to this website) he only picked up one yellow card in his entire career

Second bookable whilst at Watford. He was also sent off in a pre-season game - first game after the Pierre Bolangi tragedy I believe, and the referee decided not to report it.
  • sam3110 said:

yes, thanks I misread that page.Takes a bit of gloss off the case. One yellow would have been incredible, I guess. I never saw him pick up a card, though.

I will run the idea past Ben Tegg who knows him and particularly his KIO work.

Davo 55, good point about usually needing to nominate more than once.

Re Garth Crooks, his Wikipedia page says of his gong
    "In 1999 he was awarded an OBE in the Queen's Birthday Honours for his services to football punditry, specifically citing his ability to bring passion to football."
    and no mention of any charity work there.

So on that basis, I don't accept the idea of a gong for Chris is "laughable" at all.

• Sponsored links:

• rikofold said:

sam3110 said:

Second bookable whilst at Watford. He was also sent off in a pre-season game - first game after the Pierre Bolangi tragedy I believe, and the referee decided not to report it.
    He has been sent to the stands as manager quite a few times...
  • Why has no one ever suggest Keith Peacock ? 40 -ish years with CAFC
  • Why has no one ever suggest Keith Peacock ? 40 -ish years with CAFC

Not forgetting Paddy Powell, player & ground staff
  • edited August 2012

sam3110 said:

yes, thanks I misread that page.Takes a bit of gloss off the case. One yellow would have been incredible, I guess. I never saw him pick up a card, though.

I will run the idea past Ben Tegg who knows him and particularly his KIO work.

Davo 55, good point about usually needing to nominate more than once.

Re Garth Crooks, his Wikipedia page says of his gong
    "In 1999 he was awarded an OBE in the Queen's Birthday Honours for his services to football punditry, specifically citing his ability to bring passion to football."
    and no mention of any charity work there.

So on that basis, I don't accept the idea of a gong for Chris is "laughable" at all.

I don't believe that wikipedia entry is accurate. www.parliamentspeakers.com says

"Garth received the OBE in the Queens Birthday Honours List in 1999 for Services to Association Football and the Institute of Professional Football."
  • Don't do it yet. There are a limited number of gongs handed out to sportsmen and women and they are going to be taken by the Olympic medallists in the next couple of lists.
  • That's true - best to wait until next year. From what somebody who is in the know told me- if you have a good record of charity work to go with the other stuff you stand a very good chance. I'm pretty sure Chris will have been involved with various chaities but may not want to shout about it - so some digging may be required.
  • Lol, charity work. I think you will find the people that deserve the awards relating to charity work are those who give up their spare time and their own cash on helping those less fortunate.

Like the lady that gave up going on holiday and buying nice things for herself and her home so she could foster children.

Not a football manager on £1m per annum who throws a few bob in the tin when its passed round
  • @eaststandmike

Did CP pee on your porridge this morning or something?
  • I could understand your venom, eaststandmike, if it was reserved for "knights" like Sir Bert Millichip, and Sir Dave Richards. Now those are seriously bad awards, and evidence that the current review of the system is long overdue.

Oh, and then there's Sir Fred Goodwin....
  • Not at all but as I said above he is a god in and around SE7 but outside of that he is a nobody.
    Gongs should be given to people with life time achievments not quick one offs as they seem to be.