Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Strauss to quit as England captain?

So say the Sun.

Comments

• End of an era. And a very good one at that.
  • Great bloke, though the runs have dried up a bit. It will be a shame if it's the Pietersen thing makes him give up. I suspect he's too much of a gent to go public even in retirement, but we'll see.
  • I believe he has called a press conference today at midday
  • An announcement to be made at lunch time.

I can't imagine the KP thing is the cause but I can see how it might have helped Strauss make up his mind.
    He's going out on his terms and good luck to him. Without doubt one of the best captains we've ever had.

I suspect he'll wheel out the usual stuff about wanting to see his family who he's missed for such long periods and what an honour it's been etc. He'll save all the juicy KP stuff for the inevitable book deal.
  • Strauss was an excellent captain, and alongside Andy Flower England got to no.1 in two formats. I guess Cook will take over, not overly inspiring but I can't imagine who else would get chosen. They need to be able to deal with figjam if he ever gets picked again, and I don't know how tough Cook is.
  • could be just having a break to focus on his batting?

if he comes back (not as captain) not sure if i can see him taking orders from cook, then again Ponting and Clarke seem to be doing alright. And Ponting is not one for keeping his mouth shut.
  • Talking to Alec Stewart on R5L....says he is quiting the captaincy.
  • Real shame. To be fair Strauss
    didnt come across as hugely charismatic so I'd give Cook a chance. Shame, Strauss is up there with Brearley and Vaughn as our greatest ever captains imo
  • Real shame. To be fair Strauss
    didnt come across as hugely charismatic so I'd give Cook a chance. Shame, Strauss is up there with Brearley and Vaughn as our greatest ever captains imo

Agreed
  • Shame, great captain but had become a bit of a liability as a batsman. That's the third England captain that Smith has seen off now.

Hope Pieterson is not allowed back in the team on the ack of this.
  • Sponsored links:

• People should not conflate the two issues here.

Strauss knows that if he goes on tour to India/NZ as skipper then he really has to see it through right through to the end of the 2013 Ashes here in Oz.

So, he has left a bit early to give Cookie a good tour of India/NZ as "Jack the Ripper" so he is not a green horn when he takes on the Aussies next summer in the biggest clash of them all.

The Pietersen debacle is another issue altogether.
  • The chef has just arrived at Lords.
  • Strauss has stepped down from all forms of Cricket.
  • Hope he doesn't retire altogether, I think he still has something to offer with the bat. If you look at his form lately the problem has been converting starts to a meaningful score. I would say that if he was getting out much quicker then perhaps it is time to move on. Maybe the slight dip in form and the worry of the captaincy is too much at this point in his career.
  • Is KP the new captain?
  • blimey....

we'll take the urn home.... we'll take the urn hoooooome..... with Strauss our Captain, we'll take the urn home.........
  • Strauss has been a great captain and resigning early when he realises he can't make the contribution he needs to only adds to that. He will be remembered as one of the best.
  • Breaking News : Strauss Quits all forms of cricket!!

Good luck AS and thanks for a great era of Cricket.
  • People should not conflate the two issues here.

Strauss knows that if he goes on tour to India/NZ as skipper then he really has to see it through right through to the end of the 2013 Ashes here in Oz.

So, he has left a bit early to give Cookie a good tour of India/NZ as "Jack the Ripper" so he is not a green horn when he takes on the Aussies next summer in the biggest clash of them all.

The Pietersen debacle is another issue altogether.

I don't know. I find it hard to believe that the stress involved hasn't had some effect on the decision.
  • The chef new England Test Captain.
  • Sponsored links:

• Just watching the Press conf now on BBC website live, great bloke i'm well pleased he was given the chance to captain. Well done old boy.
  • Graeme Smith takes another England captain out!
  • also sad in the press conference they're trying to make it about pietersen. Strauss has been our most successful captain, let the man have some glory without being overshadowed.
  • edited August 2012
    Interesting to see who comes in - heard a bit about Joe Root? Don't know too much about him, as not an avid county cricket watcher, but his average is promising and I'd rather get a youngster in and allow them to grow into the role.

Could have Taylor, Bairstow and a new opener all in - be good to see how they get on.
  • Sad day for cricket. Brilliant captain, brilliant batsman and brilliant bloke. Thanks Straussy for making us a force in the cricket world!
  • Sad day for cricket. Brilliant captain, brilliant batsman and brilliant bloke. Thanks Straussy for making us a force in the cricket world!

Absolutely.

He must know that his retiring would be overshadowed by the Pieterson stuff. Thanks Strauss for making my honeymoon even more awesome.

• edited August 2012
    suzisausage said :-

Thanks Strauss for making my honeymoon even more awesome.

Blimey that Strauss really is a lad !
  • Trott to become Cook's opening partner ?
  • Trott to become Cook's opening partner ?

perfecto