Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Greenwich

edited July 2012 in General Charlton
Went to the Trafalgar yesterday. Shocked - absolutely dead as was the Yacht. Told me the pub takes £4000 on a Saturday but only took £400 this week. Lady in the Yacht said the regulars weren't even coming in. Drove across Blackheath and down to the pub and thought there was a bomb scare on. LOCOG have been drumming in to everyone to stay away, and they have. Shame for those businesses who were looking forward to an upturn in business.

Comments

• Well so many of the roads have been blocked around here that it's probably just too much of a nightmare to deal with.
  • My commute this morning (New Eltham to Waterloo East) was an absolute doddle - even got a seat.

The A20 from Lewisham up to New Cross was deserted and London Bridge was about as busy as a Sunday morning. Looks like everyone has either taken the time off or is working from home.
  • I got to the pub from Bromley in no time. Then through Greenwich and back across Blackheath with njo trouble at all. The fair on blackheath was empty.
  • Went to the Olympics yesterday and the trains/DLR were pretty empty. As for Greenwich that situation hasn't been heloped by the fact that they have suspended all DLR stopping at The Cutty Sark
  • Wife was due to go in to work at her restaurant yesterday but they phoned to say there was no need as they didnt have enough bookings.

This morning Londonbridge was supposed to be ramo and maybe shut---wife just phoned to say it looked more empty than usual when she went through at 09.30.

good planning by LOCOG ?
  • It was pretty quite last week as well to be fair, so the campaign by TfL and LOCOG looks like its worked. Real test will be this evening when 50,000 leave Greenwich Park after the cross country
  • Yep London Bridge and the trains were quieter than usual this morning. But the transport and roads are usually quieter at this time of year anyway as start of school holidays and lots of people off work.
    Think that maybe even more people have taken time off around because of the olympics.

Don't forget London Bridge station platforms 1-6 are shut from 6pm tonight.
  • And Blackheath was a lot quieter than I thought it was going to be Saturday night. even with the good weather.
  • its only day 1 folks but fingers crossed eh..
  • Was out in Blackheath Friday night, it was buzzing round there and pretty busy.

Got a cab over to Greenwich about 12 and it was dead, Bar Du Musee was pretty much empty as it was a couple of weeks earlier won't be going in there again.
  • Sponsored links:

• A mate of mine owns a car body repairers and he's taking two weeks off because he has had nothing booked in. Surprised the Olympics have affected his business.
  • A friend of ours has a stall in Greenwich market....she is not happy that the organisation is leading to the Olympic spectators come to Greenwich, watch the event and leave, local buisenesses are going to sufer especially as the local punters are staying away.
  • Seems that was Hastings all the money will be made at the Olympic Park (£4.30 for a bottle of beer) whilst the local area due to restrictions will suffer.....not good!
  • I got a boat home on Friday and walked straight into the grounds of the Naval College which has a summer festival on. Take your kids down there there is so much going on and they have deckchairs out sat under a huge screen showing the Olympics. Brilliant atmopshere.

We were in the Old Brewery from 5.30 to 8.30 and was able to get a seat and a beer no problem but when we left the grounds were packed to watch the Opening Ceremony. Plan to go down there most evenings if the weather is nice.

The Old Brewery are stretching it a bit now tho... 4.70 for one of their standard beers made my eyes water.

• The Greenwich Phantom mentioned the Old Brewery hiking the prices - I think a burger and chips has gone from a tenner to fourteen quid. Meantime are claiming its a short term thing as they are having to pay extra for night deliveries, although you wonder if anyone without David Beckhams income can still afford to go in there.
  • A friend of ours has a stall in Greenwich market....she is not happy that the organisation is leading to the Olympic spectators come to Greenwich, watch the event and leave, local buisenesses are going to sufer especially as the local punters are staying away.

Yes, i was at the market from 5 until 10 this morning and thousands of people were being expertly channelled around the outside and hardly anyone came into the market. One trader told me she took £36 on sunday.
  • edited July 2012

The Greenwich Phantom mentioned the Old Brewery hiking the prices - I think a burger and chips has gone from a tenner to fourteen quid. Meantime are claiming its a short term thing as they are having to pay extra for night deliveries, although you wonder if anyone without David Beckhams income can still afford to go in there.

We didnt eat but did laugh at one woman asking for a bowl of chips and being charged 6 quid.

Such a great venue, does leave a sour taste but will pop in there again as its got a good atmosphere. Might just sneak a few tins next time.

• Curb_It said:

I got a boat home on Friday and walked straight into the grounds of the Naval College which has a summer festival on. Take your kids down there there is so much going on and they have deckchairs out sat under a huge screen showing the Olympics. Brilliant atmopshere.

We were in the Old Brewery from 5.30 to 8.30 and was able to get a seat and a beer no problem but when we left the grounds were packed to watch the Opening Ceremony. Plan to go down there most evenings if the weather is nice.

The Old Brewery are stretching it a bit now tho... 4.70 for one of their standard beers made my eyes water.

Been in there a couple off times but won't go again....Alastair is taking the piss with the prices now, also owns the Union in Royal Hill....dear in there aswell.
  • Its in the grounds of the Naval College smiffyboy. Lovely setting but heavy on the pockets.

They've created a big faux pas in putting up their prices for the Olympics and have pissed off their regulars but I dont go that often anymore since moving, just now and again for a treat.

• smiffyboy said:

Where abouts is the old brewery

In the grounds of the old navel college now Greenwich University.
  • Sponsored links:

• All the decent pubs round the area seem to have bumped up the prices, £5.05p in The Dial Arch for a Bulmers last week.
  • Serves you right for drinking Bulmers
  • Well your Rosé wasn't cheap either!
  • can you still wlak through the park or is it closed off?
  • the centre of woolwich has a big screen up and chairs - supposed to be packed with good atmosphere. seems everywhere is full other than the official stadiums
  • The guy from national rail this morning was spouting on about 70k people at Greenwich park. Then a sentence later it was about 50k. Venue capacity 23k, which is less than might go to some of our better attended games. Throw into the mix that it's school holiday and many corporates paid attention to the scaremongering and it's not surprising that it is quiet. The clown went on to say people going to Greenwich should use Victoria. Not sure how the hell that would work, but I imagine some poor tourist confused at Vic.
  • Drive into Canary Wharf was quiet as well.
  • Just dropped my youngest to North Greenwich station, roads are totally empty.

It's so quiet the missus is taking the 108 to Stratford rather thann the tube.
  • The trains were dead too coming home tonight. Was back in Welling by 5pm.