Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

FAO NOLLY GARY WOOLCOMBE

JUST WATCHING HIM,WHATS HIS HISTORY,I RECOGNISE HIS TRAINER FROM KEDDLES GYM WHERE MY DAUGHTER GOES KICK BOXING.SAM WEBB ALSO TRAINS THERE.IS HE A CHARLTON BOY COMING FROM WELLING

Comments

• Steve that was a cracking british title fight, But i feared for Gary i said to my missus that if ryan can still bang he can knock out Gary, what heart Gary showed i just hope he comes back from that KO his head rocked the canvas which i think did a fair bit of the damage, but he didnt seem to have enough power behind the punches if he can up his power he can go along way in the British Titles and Commonwelth
  • one of my customers is on tonight ryan barrett
  • going back up to watch it now had to feed the lizzard so i thought i would log in and see if anyone watched it. The greedy bstard has got a mouth full of crickets
  • not charlton steve i dint think,out of my manor grove park/downham,boxed for marvels lane one of my old clubs,great lad,always polite my old man said,awful knockout.dont no if hes a fan of any club to be honest.
  • [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]not charlton steve i dint think,out of my manor grove park/downham,boxed for marvels lane one of my old clubs,great lad,always polite my old man said,awful knockout.dont no if hes a fan of any club to be honest.

Did you ever do the Rotary club nights at the Yorkshire Grey and other places?
  • i feel so sorry for ryan got done twice with clash of heads and got given a knockdown against him when he lost his footing,you could see his frustration,he is a great lad and his old man is a top bloke as well.
  • he was well unlucky poor first count by ref and then a second clash of heads good to stop him there or that cut could cause him an issue in the rematch.
  • Mate of mine was coaching Ryan a year or two ago, may still be. Remember him saying his old man was a good guy.
  • [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]not charlton steve i dint think,out of my manor grove park/downham,boxed for marvels lane one of my old clubs,great lad,always polite my old man said,awful knockout.dont no if hes a fan of any club to be honest.

Nolly I did a bit of boxing out of Marvels Lane when I was younger, I used to live at the top of Balder Rise where the club is. Remember running all round Grovey training, I was never any good at the boxing tho! It was more extra fitness for my football.
  • [cite]Posted By: RedArmySE7[/cite] It was more extra fitness for my football.

lot of good that did.....
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: RedArmySE7[/cite]It was more extra fitness for my football.

lot of good that did.....

This coming from the man who nearly died after a 500 yard run earlier this week!?!?
  • redarmyse7 how old are you? and did you have any fights or just for fitness?
  • len i did box at the yorkshire grey four times,only one for marvels but it was a rotary one,boxed a boy from st peters got the win but thought i lost,and 3 dinner shows for eltham i think rotary dinner shows as well,liked dinner shows always eat well.
  • Nolly did you ever fight any of the Roames ? well one you couldnt as he was murdered in Deptford !! Gunther was a very very good welter weight. Then there was Maynard and Trevor. One was murdered but one used to fight none licenced. They might have been in your era though. They come from Eltham and did go to The Valley sometimes although used to say they were Millwall.
  • how old? im 35 and boxed for eltham,did they box for eltham? had a great set of lads at my time there a good few charlton,the cream was tony denham who was harris in football factory and one of the policeman in name of the father,kevin wishart,could half bang! a black lad called warren,mark dinnage,dean smith,mickey cantwell fought for world title,charlton fan,and a great trainer in terry coulter who my brother loved being trained by and also the great paul fitzerald who was a traveller.do they ring any bells gh?
  • Denham of course. The Roames were 3 black lads, think they were older group than you. But Gunther was once rated 10 in Uk when we had a good number of World class welter weights. One CAFC face fought one of the brothers in a none licenced bout. Got knocked out though.
  • whisper me hes name,there was of course two tony denhams gh,tony denham i new is the tv star,i think the other namesake was a cafc face,funny my brother boxed a lad who boxed out of the palace area will get hes name for you the st philip neri or something boxing club who was a charlton face be about 45 now was tony denham or denims mate had a sister called lisa
  • Yes mate ur right i was geting them confused.
  • that lisa bird lived in downham and her brother whos name i will get was denim or denhams mate,she was charlton,the most scariest lady i have met,she nearly attacked me when i told her my brother beat her brother 2-1 in fights,told me she would get b-mob on me!
  • Just came across this ancient post, brings back memories, I used to train with Mark Dinnage who turned pro, Warren Richards heavyweight who went to America to spar with Tyson, Terry Roomes no1 lightweight kick boxing contender actually smashed the champion Chris Kent to pieces in Brighton but lost to the poor decision by the judges, Lloyd Corbin held the middleweight kickboxing title for two years, must not forget Eddie Burnett. Used to be at all the Eltham shows put on the Yorhshire Grey by Richard Atkins. Was in the welterweight division then now I weigh more than Klitschko
  • Sponsored links:

• Oh right who did you box for ? Eddie was a lovely fella trained me for a while so did dinnage . I rang Richie few weeks ago . I used to spar little don Cameron and lee benefield and when unlucky Micky Cantwell . Big warren was a great lad but always got koed in abas sadly
  • Hello Nolly I was at the Samuel Montague for many years, also got involved in an unarmed combat Kempo Jitsu at a martial arts centre in Middle Park Avenue with sensei Gary Reeves. My roots were boxing but I would train at various clubs in Catford, Welling, Swanley, Kennington, Sydenham, Lewisham, Crystal Palace etc, a mixture of non contact, semi contact and full contact and still find time to spar with Eddie Burnett in the Montague as we both lived nearby.
    I was good friend of Roy Benefield Lee's dad but he is no longer with us.
    We finally found a regular couple of nights in the Ferrier Boxing Club solely for kickboxing not to be confused with Thai as each round consisted of at least six kicks per round and had to be above the waist, no elbow or knee strikes and no holds. It was a brilliant style but a minority sport in Britain, it was big in America though.
    Mark, Warren, Lloyd Terry, Eddie, Eddie Martin, Gary Gentlemen, Pat O'Keefe, Jeff Britain the national coach and many others were regulars at the Ferrier.
    The big chance to promote the style was at the Picketts Lock Centre with a show televised by Channel 4 in front of National Theatre celebs, I think Terry Roomes was on the bill but the elevation of the style turned to disaster in a fight between Andy Hillsdon from Bexleyheath and Ian Benjamin from I think North London. Benjamin launched a low illegal kick into the groin of Hillsdon, now in a temper Andy took his gloves off and the rules went out the window. Firstly there was the sound of chairs screeching as people stood up and a mass brawl began in and out the ring. That was the beginning of the end portrayed as a thugs sport for thugs. The only fight shown on TV was a very unexicitng contest between Pat O'Keefe (Ferrier regular) versus a Dutchman Van Damme, not the filmstar VD.
    Mark Dinnage fought Benjamin at a later date in a hotel in Bloomsbury but unfortunately lost due to lack of kicks. Mark turned pro as a boxer but had managerial problems preventing him going further in the sport.
    Now I'm over fifty and overweight and save the ballet style moves for parties when I have had to much to drink, that's the only time you think you can still do it, unfortunately I have lost contact with all but did see Eddie Burnett last Christmas.
    Sorry Nolly but I could ramble on for weeks about all this but is just a slight diversion from another passion CAFC.
  • Great stuff I had a gym show fight at ferrier once . When you see Eddie next say Danny nolan asked about him he was a lot older than me but boxed on the same shows he must be on his fifties now . Mark dinnage was a good boxer didn't win anything but could of if his mind was right . I speak to lee benefield sometimes and all the eltham lot was at mick carneys funeral few months back if you YouTube mick carney funeral a lovely video of it is on there and Richie Atkins and warren and Paul Fitzgerald among others are on it and a guy called johnny Harris who is now a famous actor played the rapist in this is England also who I think I was supposed fight but he was to light .
  • edited July 2012
    Great stuff I had a gym show fight at ferrier once . When you see Eddie next say Danny nolan asked about him he was a lot older than me but boxed on the same shows he must be on his fifties now .
    Only a couple of years older then ;-)
  • True
  • Gets sad now, I'm older than Eddie.
    It feels like God is the only one older than me.

Must get rid of them flares.
  • Ha ha
  • I've only just seen this post, I actually went to school with Gary Woolcombe. He was always coming into school with black eyes, but he did win the Junior title, and went on to have a decent career, was such a shame he had to retire so early on.