Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

U.S. Open Golf

Guessing a few people will be watching? Is my favourite tournament of the year in a lot of ways, I do enjoy seeing the pros struggle as a lot of us hackers do.

A few storylines on the go as well:
-Will it be Tiger Jekyll or Tiger Hyde who turns up? To compete he will have to be in 100% control of his game.
-He goes out with Mickelson and Bubba Watson in the same group. McIlroy joins...
-Donald and Westwood are as usual, having fingers pointed at them coming into a major. Westwood has the better history at this tournament, including a top 10 at Olympic Club in '98.
-Every year there's a hole everyone likes a good moan about. This year that'd be the monster 670 yard 16th, the longest in major history. Beware the 13th, also.
-Casey Martin makes it through qualifying and will be playing with the aid of a buggy, due to a circulatory defect affecting blood flow between his heart and right leg.
-Andy Zhang, a 14 year old amateur is the championship's (and majors'?) youngest competitor since WW2.
-Olympic itself has no water, no out of bounds and only one fairway bunker. It is however, one of the hilliest, most tree-lined and slowest running courses on the U.S. Open rota. The San Andreas earthquake fault also runs beneath it.

I kind of like an American winner here, so have spread some money between Steve Stricker, Webb Simpson, Spencer Levin, Mark Wilson and Nick Watney.

Comments

• edited June 2012
    Westwood will finish in the top 5. No bunkers, no water - needs somebody who can hit it long and straight tee to green. Nobody better, maybe ever ....
  • Just for the sake of variety in commentary and coverage I hope mcilroy and woods both miss the cut. Don't bet but I think luke donald is due a major win.
  • For me Donald and Westwood are going to be in the mix (i hope so anyway) and for a longshot i have a feeling Matt Kucher will be worth a flutter and i too hope Woods misses the cut......Come on the Brits!!
  • Thanks Redpanda and pleased you mentioned Casey Martin I recall when he first qualified for the tour a number of top pro's including Jack Nicklaus came out and said he shouldn't be allowed to play because he used a buggy and the late, great Payne Stewert gave a press conference where he said that rather than try to ban him the tour should celebrate and welcome a man who has managed to qualify despite a disability that would stop most people playing. I'll never forget it and was a mark of a true gentleman and fine human being. The Golf tour has never been tthe same since his tragic death.

My tip Luke Donald
  • Tiger at 8/1 looks inviting

• Thanks Redpanda and pleased you mentioned Casey Martin I recall when he first qualified for the tour a number of top pro's including Jack Nicklaus came out and said he shouldn't be allowed to play because he used a buggy and the late, great Payne Stewert gave a press conference where he said that rather than try to ban him the tour should celebrate and welcome a man who has managed to qualify despite a disability that would stop most people playing. I'll never forget it and was a mark of a true gentleman and fine human being. The Golf tour has never been tthe same since his tragic death.

My tip Luke Donald
    Agree re Payne Stewert, nice one.
  • Hunter Mahan for me
  • edited June 2012
    Angel Jimenez to finish top 10 28-1
    Keegan Bradley to finish in the top 10 7-1
    Robert Rock to finish top 10 16-1
    Lee Westwood to win 15-1
  • Anyone have any idea what time it all starts? Need to get down the bookies to do some bets on it but not sure if I have enough time.
  • Anyone have any idea what time it all starts? Need to get down the bookies to do some bets on it but not sure if I have enough time.
    It kicks off about now.
  • Sponsored links:

• I've done 3 x E/W with Betfred.
    1/4 Odds for place 1-6

Stricker @ 45/1
    Kuchar @ 28/1
    Harrington @ 66/1
  • Kuchar at 28/1 is superb value.
  • Kuchar at 28/1 is superb value.
    Especially as i only got 25's at Ladbrokes!!!
  • Can you believe Westwood, McIlroy and Donalds approaches at the first !
  • Sent before finishing! Really think these 3 will stuggle,have had 3 early each way bets Furyk,Senden and Kuchar.
  • No margin for error!
  • Yet to see any of this, but will flick over & watch a bit after England tonight. Heard it's a very tough course, will be interesting to watch how they play it.

That 14 year old went round in 9 over didn't he? What an absolutely surperb round of golf from a child!!

Going round 9 over on the front 9 would be an achievement for me!
  • Yet to see any of this, but will flick over & watch a bit after England tonight. Heard it's a very tough course, will be interesting to watch how they play it.

That 14 year old went round in 9 over didn't he? What an absolutely surperb round of golf from a child!!

Only one shot behind Bubba Watson, a green jacket owner
  • Sponsored links:

Only one shot behind Bubba Watson, a green jacket owner
    & level with Luke Donald, no.1 in the world!
  • We settle down for this after Englands victory tonight.
  • Looking forward to Tigers next shot !
  • and his next shot
  • First six holes, 61 birdies, 310 bogeys. Mental
  • One of the toughest courses ever, and a 17yr old.amateur is joint leader !
  • Hossler now leading!
  • for some highly amusing updates on twitter follow @NivenJ1 . It's the author John Niven giving his own "unique" brand of comms
  • Tiger at 8/1 looks inviting

Looks like the old tiger out there last 2 rounds -but more luck would have been 2-3 shots clear
  • Fell asleep about 11:15 last night, got no chance of making the end on Sunday :(

Today should be interesting, there will be a couple from the pack who make a move to only lie a couple back for tomorrow.