Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Pink Floyd: Wish You Were Here

Very watchable documentary on the making of the Wish You Were Here album just aired on BBC4 - anyone see it?
Some interesting viewpoints from the band and others. Dave Gilmour's sadness at the fate of Syd Barrett was clear for all to see.
It was also fairly clear that in the main they were being relatively diplomatic, but I couldn't help thinking throughout that Roger Waters comes across as a self-important dick.
Any thoughts?

Comments

• just watched it too..............thought it a bit long winded as there are only really 2 decent songs on the album (imho) - Shine on.....and Wish you were here.

the better proframme is the Classic Album series which Sky Arts are showing & recently had Dark Side ......on there
  • is it on IPlayer do you know?
  • I always got the impression that Roger Waters felt he should be the main man in the Floyd. Certainly after Syd left, there seemed to be a departure from being a 'collective group', into being individuals working on there there projects, I think the Wall was seen as Rogers project.
    The Floyd to me were always greater than there parts, or the individuals. Like Lennon and McCartney, they fell out, have had success, but the egos got in the way..... Probably something in that Gilmour was brought in to help Syd and the group, and replaced him , and Syd was seen as the creative leader. Probably Waters felt he was painted a villan, who knows. Never convinced that Dave was a saint, and that Roger was only concerned with his 'music'. All I know is that they created some of the most memorable music of the past 50 years, and in the end the music is what they should be judged on....
  • Saw a documentary a while ago. I wonder if this is a repeat. Great songs what happens behind the scenes is sad but doesn't really matter. Got 'wish you were here' running through my head now.
  • Just watching it now on IPlayer.
  • edited May 2012
    just watched it too..............thought it a bit long winded as there are only really 2 decent songs on the album (imho) - Shine on.....and Wish you were here.

the better proframme is the Classic Album series which Sky Arts are showing & recently had Dark Side ......on there
    Not sure if I've seen that too - was it made prior to the deaths of Syd Barrett and Richard Wright or was it more recent? I'm pretty sure I've seen something from around the time Syd died.
    The thing that really jumped out at me about this WYWH show was how everyone was reflecting on Syd and what could have been. Can't remember seeing them all speaking so openly about that before.
    Also, although I bristled at Roger Waters, I did find it interesting that he really didn't like Roy Harper's interpretation of Have a Cigar. I've always been of the opinion that Harper's voice was perfect for the song, so it would be interesting to hear it the way Waters wanted it.
  • edited May 2012
    I always got the impression that Roger Waters felt he should be the main man in the Floyd. Certainly after Syd left, there seemed to be a departure from being a 'collective group', into being individuals working on there there projects, I think the Wall was seen as Rogers project.
    Yep from my understanding this was sadly the case. Even Floyds final studio album with Waters still on board, `The Final Cut' was clearly his own creation with sparse input from the rest of the band. In some parts it feels almost auto-biographical. It may have been during this time that Waters actually `sacked' Richard Wright from the band which obviously would have shattered band harmony, if indeed there still was any at that point.
    I think the straw that finally brought the camel down was after The Final Cut's release when Waters ego driven power trip reached its peak with his public declaration that he was killing the band off. He viewed himself as the natural successor to its ownership after Barretts departure so believed it was his to end if he so wished. One very bitter, drawn out court battle later and he discovered it wasn't. After making a considerable personal financial risk Gilmore and Mason won the right to continue recording under the Pink Floyd name.
    In recent years Waters has acknowledged his poor decision making of the past and his insulting and disrespectful behaviour towards his old band mates but it's all too little too late really. Gilmore particularly loaths him and took a lot of the in-fighting personally which it probably was to be fair.

What i'll never understand is how Waters, clearly a very intelligent and extremely socially aware person allowed himself to be corrupted by the forces of fame, ego, power and wealth in the first place. He's visited these subjects in his music his entire career yet failed to spot the danger signs when it was destroying his own band.

• Boring bunch of self indulgent selfish and dull musos making horrible overrated garbage listened to on a cassette deck in a knackered out Lotus Elan by dreadful public school boys wearing stone washed Levi 501s converse boots and battered leather pilot style jackets with sheepskin lining .no thanks!
  • Rodger walters has always been a self important dick and must have gone to the same school as Bono
  • I must admit I had little time for post-Barrett Floyd back in the day.
    Music by architects for architects as someone once said.
    Mellowed a bit with age and quite enjoy Dark Side and a few other cuts.
    I don't think it compares with the unique originality of Syd's psychedelic pop though
  • Sponsored links:

• Boring bunch of self indulgent selfish and dull musos making horrible overrated garbage listened to on a cassette deck in a knackered out Lotus Elan by dreadful public school boys wearing stone washed Levi 501s converse boots and battered leather pilot style jackets with sheepskin lining .no thanks!
    Glad you got that off your chest?
  • I think he's probably passed out because he didn't take a breath...
  • I am a rabid Floyd fan but I have to say that Ashley's comments were amusing.
    Sounds like he knows a few........

Pink Floyd are one of the greatest bands in the world.
  • Indeed they are.
  • I agree, and I am probably as far away from Ashley's description as it is possible to be. P*ss flaps for ear holes that lad... :-)
  • I must admit I just don't get it. I can sit and listen to Stars of the lid all night. I love a soundscape and would class experimental music as one of my favorite Genres but for me Floyd builds and builds and then just never really unleashes or goes anywhere. IMO.
  • I saw Roger Waters twice on his last tour - once in London and once in Dublin. To be fair, he sounded far more humble and admitted that he had been a twat (his words not mine) in the past.
  • I think all I can say to Ashley's comment is "hello is there anybody in there, just nod if you can hear me, is there anyone at home"......
  • I think all I can say to Ashley's comment is "hello is there anybody in there, just nod if you can hear me, is there anyone at home"......
    I love that Scissor Sisters track.

;)
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2012
    Boring bunch of self indulgent selfish and dull musos making horrible overrated garbage listened to on a cassette deck in a knackered out Lotus Elan by dreadful public school boys wearing stone washed Levi 501s converse boots and battered leather pilot style jackets with sheepskin lining .no thanks!

Brilliant. (or is it ...'This'.) ?

• Great - just watched it instead of the England game - and just wanted to say thanks to all who pointed me to it .
    Thanks
  • edited May 2012
    As Above, good documentary...or quite possibly- This.
  • Just watched PF live at Earls Court 1994 - a gig i had a ticket for but couldnt go, long story.
    Sent shivers down my spine..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKVJicTW9rc
  • Went to see Roger Waters myself back in February and would echo what a previous poster said regarding him coming accross as more humble and somewhat apologetic even......love both his work and Floyd's.
  • I think Roger Waters finally realised what an arse he had been trying to sue the band after he left it, thinking he *was* pink floyd. Thus the live 8 concert and dave gilmour occasionally playing with Roger in his shows. Such a shame Rick Wright died, would've done anything to seen them live now I'm old enough to appreciate them.
  • Preferred Floyd as Syds backing group. As 6 bag of nuts says they became Music for architects. Quite nice but give me Astronomy Domine anytime.
  • There is talk of Floyd getting together again for Glasto 2013 - what a gig that would be !
  • "Did you exchange
    a walk-on part in a war
    for a lead-role in a cage ?"

Brilliant stuff.

At least it has longevity. People talking about it 30 or 40+ years later.

Can't see the same happening with that Shane bloke that won X factor.
  • Syd Barrett was receiving substantial royalties (I heard £40k/month) right up until his death and this was down to Dave Gilmour who made sure he got what was rightly due to him and agree of all the band he seemed the most affected by Syd's demise. For me Gilmour is one of the really great rock guitarists and the rift between him and Waters I believe started with an argument about musical competancy and the right to lead the band. Whatever they have a body of work that stands the test of time and that is what counts. When they reformed for Live8 they were truly mesmerising and even an old punk like Bob Geldorf was quoted as saying that he couldn't he believ how four old geezers could stand on a stage and play so beautifully and effortlessly. If they reform I predict it will be the biggest selling tour of all time and I for one will be scrapping for a ticket.