Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Our best strike partnership over the years?

I believe Kerm and BWP compliement each other really and have been our best partnership for a long time. Possibly since Mendonce and Bright. I appreciate we have had brilliant strikers like dazza bent and hunt. I guess you could argue that jj and bartlett were good together but i dont think they hit their peak at the same time. Just wondering on other people thoughts and other great partnerships over the years, maybe before my time.

Comments

• Tresor Kandol & Akpo Sodje
  • Mendonca & Hunt.
  • Hard to compare across divisions when you consider that Darren Bent is one of the best strikers in the country.

It is very close but I would go with BWP and Kermorgant.

Mendonca was a better finisher than BWP, bit more reliable. However Kermorgant makes the current partnership overpower anything we have had in years.
  • Pawel Abbott and Akpo Sodje - Winning combination

In all seriousness i used to like Di Canio and Johansson together.

Also Bartlett and Lisbie used to work well together.
  • Leaburn and Paul Williams............causing mayhem in that far too tight Admiral kit.
  • Chris Iwelumo and Andy Gray! ...

Last five years - BWP and Kermorgant

Last twenty years - Mendonca and Hunt

Benty, JJ, Bartlett and co were all fantastic strikers, but their partnerships were never quite as deadly.
  • Mendonca & Bright ????? Surely you mean Hunt?
  • Bartlett and Lisbie (with Euell behind them) - good times. I thought of Hunt and Mendonca, but not sure exactly how many games they played together? Can't handle Mendonca being compared to BWP though. Doesn't seem right at all. Maybe after BWP does it in the Championship and then manages a 1 in 2 ratio in the PL...

My choice - Leaburn and Williams.
  • M and D Bent.
  • 1- Hales and Flanagan
    2- Mendonca and Hunt
    3 - Johannson and Bartlett
    4 - BWP and Kermogant
    5 - Williams and Leaburn
  • Sponsored links:

• Mendonca & Hunt
  • edited April 2012
    Hales & Flanagan (before their punch up)
    Tees & Treacy (got to be right up there)
    Leary & Summers ( Soundasa£ & me [I'll be holding his coat] will fight anyone who disagrees)
  • Killer and Flash ... with Paddy on the wing
  • Mendonca and Hunt - Think Mendonca was on 10 for the season when he played his final game for us in 99/00, a December away game against QPR. Hunt ended that season with 27 I think. If Mendonca had stayed fit then they could have ended up with over 50 between the two of them, pretty hard to beat that.
  • How often did Mendonca and Hunt play together though ? Clive was only fit for about half the prem season ? They were both prolific, but not so much together
  • edited April 2012
    Firmani and Matthews weren't bad for a season or so.

Has to be Hales and Flanagan on longevity grounds probably although Leary and Summers as a partnership were before my time. What about Leary and Firmani? Did they play together pre Eddie's Italy transfer?
  • Mendonca and Leaburn were a good combo in the first half of season 97/98 until Leaburn was sold.
  • Thought Varney and Iwelumo showed promise tbh but Yann and BWP are a best partnership since the Premiership days.

D Bent was an excellent lone striker, never really had a regular partner up there. Liked Lisbie and Bartlett as a pair.
  • flanagan and hales for me
  • Mendonca & Hunt for me
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2012
    Hales & Flanagan (before their punch up)
    Tees & Treacy (got to be right up there)
    Leary & Summers ( Soundasa£ & me [I'll be holding his coat] will fight anyone who disagrees)
    Has to be Leary & Summers....but both Hales & Flanagan....and Tees & Treacy come close.

• my first post ever on here.....and i wanna say
    How can anyone forget David Whyte?
    Carl Leaburn has not had enough mentions.....He was good with Kim Grant!
    Personally it has to be fact that it was Bartlett and Johansson as they were the strikers when we finished 7th in the Prem and Bartlett won goal of the season.
    Mendonca will always be a legend
    Bent mainly played on his own
    I thought Lisbie may have come back to the club when we USED TO BE in League 1
    and finally.........Martin Pringle anyone?
  • How often did Mendonca and Hunt play together though ? Clive was only fit for about half the prem season ? They were both prolific, but not so much together
    This - I cant remember much 'partnership' action to go by. Fantastic players during different spells, but not the combination style we have seen with BWP and Yann.
  • Mendonca and leaburn was the best I can recall in recent times , clive loved playing with the big man and for the first time it looked like leaburn had found his ideal foil

Just got broken up far too quickly for me
  • Why no votes for H POWER ! Hales & Horsfield but my top Mendonca & Hunt.
    This - I cant remember much 'partnership' action to go by. Fantastic players during different spells, but not the combination style we have seen with BWP and Yann.
    I seem to remember Hunt partnering Pringle more than Mendonca.
  • Tough choice in my time as I think we've been best with first Barlett and then Bent but neither really had a good partner. Didn't rate JJ past that first half season and Lisbie was Lisbie. And then I agree with Mendonca and Hunt but it's true they didn't play many together in the end with their injuries.
  • In terms of sustained partnerships, the list really isn't that long. Killer & Flash for me.

• For just one game, Varney and Gray. They were immense vs Coventry I think it was!
  • BWP and Hayes were the better partnership. Yann has taken us from League 1 challengers to title winners though. Gave us the option of going long, makes us more physical and very useful for defending set pieces.