Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Question for the runners

Ok so in anticipation of playing in a higher league next season, I've been running a lot, about 5-10km every 2 days. That's 5k everyday unless I miss a day then I do around 10k.

Now last Thursday I had a pain in my shins when I woke up, people are telling me it's shin splints. Does anybody have a clue at how to treat this or if it's ok to run through the pain?

Any help is appreciated.

I've rested since Wednesday.

Comments

• i had this problem years ago, my sympathies. Check the helpful Wiki entry for all the info.
  • Shin splints. First advice is go to a decent runners shop and get a pair of trainers designed for your running style. They will put you on a treadmill and film you running. Then I would say work on your flexibility, especially your calf muscles. But see a physio if the pain is too bad to do any exercise.
  • edited April 2012
    Dazzler. I too have suffered with shin splints for the last year. I tried running through the pain but it got worse. I tried resting it for a while but the pain would soon come back on the first run after resting it. My shins only hurt when I was running. It didn't stop me doing karate or other sports. I've always run from when I was young and put it down to getting older.

Eventually after physio I sought help from a podiatrist. I had a gait analysis on a treadmill where they recorded my running style with and without trainers on. The podiatrist discovered that my shin splints were caused by flat feet and a lack of flexibility just in my big toes. The rest of my flexibility is good from practising martial arts. I have been given orthotics with pads underneath my big toes and on my heels which force an arch under my big toes causing them to push off at the end of each stride. The first time I used the orthotics I ran 6 miles without any pain. I've been running for a month now pain free. I'm going back in a few weeks to get a permanent custom pair made.

The way to treat it is RICE - rest, ice, compression and elevation. The cause could be anything from the wrong type of running trainer, running too much on hard surfaces, over training, flat feet, inflexibility in the lower limbs or over pronating. Left untreated and you could end up with a stress fracture.
  • It's an overuse injury, so simply, rest up! More detailed answer, Senpai's post is spot on.
  • Thanks guys.

Sounds like I need to contact a podiatrist.

• What trainers do you run in? Serious question for once.
  • Oooh look at me i run all the time.

Athletic.
  • Nike LunarGlide 2's

• Are they properly fitted by someone who knows what they are doing? or just bought from a sports shop?
  • I had plantar fasciitis and went to these people

http://www.londonpodiatry.com/podiatry/index

They're fantastic, they're in Lewisham and they used to be Charlton's feet people - they might still be - and I believe they are used by the Arsenal and England teams.

Not cheap but my problem was solved as soon as I started wearing the orthotics they made for me.
  • Sponsored links:

• That'd be recommended by a P.T then bought from a sports shop after stating what I needed.
  • As generally stated above. Most definitely two things. Rest up until the Shin Splints go. Get yourself a decent pair of running shoes that suit your running style to minimize the risk of them coming back.
  • Bought some gel heel supports today and they have eased the symptoms alot.

Can't wait to see a podiatrist.
  • edited October 2016
    iainment said:

I had plantar fasciitis and went to these people

http://www.londonpodiatry.com/podiatry/index

They're fantastic, they're in Lewisham and they used to be Charlton's feet people - they might still be - and I believe they are used by the Arsenal and England teams.

Not cheap but my problem was solved as soon as I started wearing the orthotics they made for me.

Going to have to consider these guys I think, Shin splints have returned and Plantar Fasciitis is now really taking its toll.

:sweat_smile:
  • @Dazzler21 for the plantar fascitis using the affected foot roll a golf ball side to side, and then round and round in a circular motion under the bottom of the foot for 5 minutes a day for a few days and you will notice a difference. Worked a treat for me
  • edited October 2016

@Dazzler21 for the plantar fascitis using the affected foot roll a golf ball side to side, and then round and round in a circular motion under the bottom of the foot for 5 minutes a day for a few days and you will notice a difference. Worked a treat for me

I've literally tried everything I can do myself at home, the golf ball and massage is my daily routine to keep getting through my fundraising miles. Thanks for the tip though!
  • Dazzler21 said:

@Dazzler21 for the plantar fascitis using the affected foot roll a golf ball side to side, and then round and round in a circular motion under the bottom of the foot for 5 minutes a day for a few days and you will notice a difference. Worked a treat for me

I've literally tried everything I can do myself at home, the golf ball and massage is my daily routine to keep getting through my fundraising miles. Thanks for the tip though!
    the golf ball massage is the tried and tested go to measure.
  • The GP who famously knows very little about treatments, but is great at referrals has recommended either an injection to the tendon or even surgery... which is terrifying, hence why I went in search of @Iainment 's post about an orthotic that helped.