Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Dutch Addicks

We have 3 ST holders all from the same city (including me) and an Englishman living in Holland, who also has a season ticket.
And I believe there is another guy who has a ST, but I don't know him. Furthermore I know of a group of people who occasionally visit matches at the Valley.

Comments

• I do remember the match when the band which translates as "half a pint of pils" played, that must have been 1997 or 1998??

But aren't you an actual Dutchman rather than an ex-pat Addick like the rest of us?
  • Where are you all based? I used to live in Leidschendam near the Hague.

there might even be a few Dutchies in Leidschendam who i converted!
  • If any of the Dutch Addicks themselves (or know anyone) who is interested in a career in recruitment (legal, finance and/or IT) (experienced or new) then please whisper me as the company i work for is looking for further expanision within Amsterdam.

Alternatively, if anyone is thinking about relocating to Amsterdam for this type of career then whisper me as well.
  • The three of us live in Eindhoven and we are all real Dutchies, so no expats.
    One of us is a Charlton fan for 25 years and has a season ticket for 10 years now.
    For me, this season will be my second as a ST holder.
  • Dutch, how do you get to games ? car and ferry ? train ?

how long does the journey take ?

and more importantly, why Charlton ?
  • Normally we go by car through the Eurotunnel. From Eindhoven to Calais takes about 2 hours and 15 minutes, and from the tunnel to Charlton takes about an hour.
    On a normal Saturday 3pm match, we leave home at 8am, arrive in Charlton at 12.30 and are back in Eindhoven around midnight. But sometimes we stay over (mainly in Greenwich). And I also visit a lot of other grounds in England (currently 44 out of 92). The first week of the new season I rented a cottage in the Peak District near Manchester, so it's CAFC v Scunny on Saturday, Swindon v CAFC on Tuesday and some other League Cup matches that week, like Rotherham v Shef Wed and Crewe v Hull.

Why Charlton? The Valley was my first ground in England back in 2002 and it was a very pleasant experience, so I started following them on the internet and Match of the Day. I also visited The Valley more frequently and when I got to know another Charlton fan in the city where I live it really started. Last season was my first as a SH holder.
  • great stuff Dutchie.
  • [cite]Posted By: Dutch Addick[/cite]Normally we go by car through the Eurotunnel. From Eindhoven to Calais takes about 2 hours and 15 minutes, and from the tunnel to Charlton takes about an hour.
    On a normal Saturday 3pm match, we leave home at 8am, arrive in Charlton at 12.30 and are back in Eindhoven around midnight. But sometimes we stay over (mainly in Greenwich). And I also visit a lot of other grounds in England (currently 44 out of 92). The first week of the new season I rented a cottage in the Peak District near Manchester, so it's CAFC v Scunny on Saturday, Swindon v CAFC on Tuesday and some other League Cup matches that week, like Rotherham v Shef Wed and Crewe v Hull.

Why Charlton? The Valley was my first ground in England back in 2002 and it was a very pleasant experience, so I started following them on the internet and Match of the Day. I also visited The Valley more frequently and when I got to know another Charlton fan in the city where I live it really started. Last season was my first as a SH holder.
    absolutely superb
  • I lived in Utrecht for a year as a student and Amsterdam for a year and a half in the late 90s, so can I be an honorary member of this clique, please? I used to write to a Dutch Charlton supporter years ago, but he was from Den Haag, so don't think he's one of you lot?

Groetjes uit Schottland.
  • Thats top stuff Dutchie, echo what Afka says. Fair play to you dood.
  • Sponsored links:

• A friend Stuart brought his football team (he plays in local leagues in Maastricht) last season to CAFC v Newcastle about 14 of them.
  • [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]I lived in Utrecht for a year as a student and Amsterdam for a year and a half in the late 90s, so can I be an honorary member of this clique, please? I used to write to a Dutch Charlton supporter years ago, but he was from Den Haag, so don't think he's one of you lot?

Groetjes uit Schottland.

You're our first honorary member :-)
    I don't know the guy from Den Haag, but there are probably much more people here who have a soft spot for Charlton, but don't really visit matches.
    There isn't a Dutch Charlton supporters club, so it's difficult to get an idea of how many there are.
    Maybe the club should now, because they now how many Dutch people have a season ticket and how many Dutch members there are of the International Supporters scheme (does it still exist?)
  • Is it true van nistelroy is an addick fan?
  • [cite]Posted By: ct_addick[/cite]Is it true van nistelroy is an addick fan?

I think he once said Charlton is a nice and friendly club, but calling him a fan is way too much.
  • edited May 2009
    Based in Amsterdam since 2004 but still have a season ticket. Ian Cartwright mentioned by email when we had a friendly v Utrecht that there were quite a few Addicks over here but that they had never arranged a get together of any kind...

Any others currently in Amsterdam?
  • There are a group of Roda fans who support charlton and have been over for a few matches and also organised a scarf which was half charlton half Roda,one of which I have. A group of charlton fans went to see Roda play a few years back. Steve and Tracy Lamb were their main contact coordinators over here
  • There were a group of MS Maasticht fans who came in 2006 for a couple of Prem games.
  • Can I be an honorary Clog Addick?
    I was based in the Amsterdam commuter area- between Hilversum and Amsterdam in a small township called Huizen for a while in the early 90's as my Dutch ex wife was from there.
    We eventually relocated to South East London and we both went to Addicks games and Ajax games before we broke up.
    She has returned to Amsterdam but we are still in contact.
    hup hup Charlton!
  • We know loads of Duch people who visit Charlton from our time when we played Roda JC in a pre season friendly.We have kept in touch and they visit us and we visit them.
    If you visit this site

http://www.koempel.nl/

and hit the links button you will see a link to Charlton!
    They even had some scarfs produced one half Roda and the other half Charlton.
  • Kap,
    Sorry mate I should read all before I post LOL.
    They are back over this July.
  • Sponsored links:

• I used to live in a northern dutch city called groningen for two years. Was a cracking place to live and i seriously suggest a visit if anyone fancies a proper mental weekend.....Went to loads of FC Groningen games and have a soft spot for them.

I was living over there when we played Utrect and recall the strange bus journey when we got dumped by the OB at a train station in the middle of nowhere after the game. funny stuff..

In het kuntje, kein kinderen...
  • edited May 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Dutch Addick[/cite]We have 3 ST holders all from the same city (including me) and an Englishman living in Holland, who also has a season ticket.
    And I believe there is another guy who has a ST, but I don't know him. Furthermore I know of a group of people who occasionally visit matches at the Valley.

My firm are based close to Amersfoort and I also get to the factory in Venlo. I've always liked Holland , shame about the bloody road system
  • [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]I do remember the match when the band which translates as "half a pint of pils" played, that must have been 1997 or 1998??

That was the Oldham home game, september 1996. They came back in the oak afterwards. Very messy night.
  • This is a good thread. I still have a soft spot for Roda. Does anyone know if fans still visit in either direction?

roda fans visiting charlton vs arsenal

charlton's friendly at Roda
  • Amsterdam Addick....James is an Australian (Melbourne) Addick who has been living in Amsterdam for a few years now.....he and his 1 year old daugter both have season tickets
  • My mate lives in Henglo and I usually visit at least once every year. We always make a point of hitting Utrecht for a day/night out, done Amsterdam a few times but there are too many pissed up weirdo's there. I studied on an exchange programme in the AKI in Enschede for six months. I'm a massive fan of The Netherlands, I always enjoy my trips there. The idea that there are dedicated fans such as yourselves fills my heart with joy. We are a special club, we deserve fans like you. Well done you lot.
  • Dutch addick, were you in Greenwich that time drinking with us. Think it was after a home game, maybe Barnsley?
  • ive always liked roda...

when I was younger I thought it was Roda JC as in Roda Job Centre.... like the job centre had put together a team...
  • [cite]Posted By: Old Toy Boy[/cite]I used to live in a northern dutch city called groningen for two years. Was a cracking place to live and i seriously suggest a visit if anyone fancies a proper mental weekend.....Went to loads of FC Groningen games and have a soft spot for them.

I was living over there when we played Utrect and recall the strange bus journey when we got dumped by the OB at a train station in the middle of nowhere after the game. funny stuff..

In het kuntje, kein kinderen...

I was on that bus when we played Utrecht. One or two very unhappy Charlton fans on there, one of whom I thought was going to deck one of the police!
  • edited May 2009
    [cite]Posted By: TelinOz[/cite]Amsterdam Addick....James is an Australian (Melbourne) Addick who has been living in Amsterdam for a few years now.....he and his 1 year old daugter both have season tickets
    That'd be me Tel, just went for a slight variation on my username here! Seems like there's some good Dutch connections though. Not to mention Romma who is currently at Nijmegen (NEC) on loan from Ajax where he never quite made an impact. ;-)