Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Change in career...

edited March 2012 in General Charlton
Wanted to hear everyone's stories..

Has anyone done it? I'm thinking about it but it's obviously a massive move

Comments

• Seth is facing a massive change later this year....any jobs out there?
  • What do you plan on doing? There may be one or two people working in that area who could offer some practical advice.
  • Did it 2 years ago. Took a 70% pay cut and never looked back. Best thing I ever did.
  • Wanted to hear everyone's stories..

Massive? Are you moving to Sheffield?
  • I was an electrician for over 10 years, then ran a newsagent in Grove Park for a couple of years and I now work in pest control in France. Running the newsagent was a big mistake, but love doing the pest control.
  • I have a bachelor degree in Business Management, spent a few years working in retail as a manager, place shut down (plus the face I destested the work) gone back to Uni to study computing with multimedia, not sure what area exactly I want to go into but probably web design. It made my decision easy to go back to Uni knowing that there is loads of I.T jobs availble in Ireland.
  • Left a very good job with London Underground a few years back. Went to college, 3 years at uni and now 8 weeks away from becoming a history teacher. Very hard road to take but a path I'm glad I took.
  • edited March 2012
    Did it 2 years ago. Took a 70% pay cut and never looked back. Best thing I ever did.
    Same here (though it was a lot more than 2 years ago) Just depends on your circumstanes. I've not met many people over the years who have found total satisfaction or fulfilment in their work.
  • Although it was all connected, I did a lot of job changes while I was on the railway. I went from the highest grade signalman to platform staff and worked my way up to station supervisor, then dropped down to platform staff again and worked up to duty station manager. I used to get bored after a while and never saw another promotion or challenge, so I would drop down and try to work up again. I was lucky as I was living at home with my parents so didn't have to worry about the money I was losing.
  • Left the paper trade and bought a pub. Currently feels like the worst move I ever made.
  • Sponsored links:

• Work for an accountants at the minute doing bookkeeping

Had enough as its not where i want to be for the rest of my life and am now looking to apply for a train driver position.

Still young so probably about the right time to try and sort my life out
  • It took me 2 career changes to find a job i love.

Left the hotel and catering trade to work in the print and language business before moving on to working for Mercedes-Benz in sales. I now work for fleet and diplomatic sales and I love my job and don´t regret any of the changes I´ve made.
  • Wanted to hear everyone's stories..

What would you like to do?
  • I had a comfortable middle-management position at Sainsbury's Head Office but plenty of pressure for a young man with a very young family. I decided to start roofing with a couple of friends 35 years ago even though I had never done any manual work before.
    There are days when I wonder what would have happened if I had stayed in my original career, but the alternative is to stay, never take a chance and forever regret not trying it.

Good luck mate.
  • I am now a year into my career change..spent 12 years in IT work. Well paid and I was good at it and made some good money. Had enough a couple of year back and have changed and now work on an ambulance. Big hit on salary but now have much more time with the wife and kids and a job I really enjoy.

Would encourage anyone thinking about a major change to do their research and think carefully. It took me two years, some disappointments and lots of long chats with my wife to get to this point but thus far it has been worth it.
  • and now work on an ambulance. Big hit on salary but now have much more time with the wife and kids and a job I really enjoy.
    Who ya with? Im LAS

• edited March 2012
    Double post
  • Same here. Out of Barnehurst seems a few addicks there. You one of them?
  • I currently work shifts, and often have to work weekends.

Its frustrating as I don't get much time at home and the job itself has massive pressure.

Considering just jacking it all in and doing something completely different which means I can enjoy quality time at home.

Surely life is to short to let work take over your life?

Some great stories. Sounds like a few of you made big gambles.

Did you look for jobs whilst employed? Also how did you all decide what you wanted to do??
  • My choice was completely reckless, with no prior thought or consideration of the possible pitfalls. I think I mentioned the pressure I was under to my friend who offered the opportunity to work with him. Fortunately things worked out OK and I now have different "pressures" as I am self-employed and in a trade that is at the mercy of the weather. When the weather is fair and dry - as it is at the moment - nobody thinks about having their roof repaired, but come the wet and windy weather (when it's almost impossible to work) the phone is ringing constantly. But my problems are insignificant compared to many and I have retirement to look forward to, as soon as I can afford to!
  • Sponsored links:

• I gave up a steady job in the bank to become a computer programmer about 1,000 years ago. A few years on I got a suit and became a business analyst. I have been very lucky to have enjoyed my work for the most part - for a lot of people a job is just a job. However, the last few years have not been so great and I am somewhat disillusioned with work. On other threads I've said that the workplace seems to have become overly "serious" of late so, although I think I have a lot to offer and I am a great BA, I'm thinking maybe I should try something completely different...
  • edited March 2012
    I'm just starting in my career really (24 now) but already hate my job. I work hard and always willing but I have no ambition to move up for some reason and feel like I have nothing in common with the others that work there. People seem to be dull, lifeless. Most are earning double/triple my salary who seem to know Sweet Fanny Adams. My problem is I don't really know what I want to do.. All I know is that I prefer working with people rather than the commercial/money side of things but jobs in retail/sales etc tend to pay crap and full of tossers.
    I've looked around and seen jobs which are similar to mine paying 5-6k less. Employers know they can pay a crap salary cos of the job market.

I'm questioning whether I should look for something before it gets too late. I know I should feel lucky to have a job, plenty my age struggling to find work. I'm considering moving up London as I'm hoping there is more of a "social" life up town, but then I would still be sitting in an office.

I just keep being told to be lucky to have a job and to 'get on with it'! Mid life crisis at 24... gawd help me.
  • Was a facilities manager did 500+ people law firm on £35k pa did knowledge passed left to be london cabbie coming up to 3 years now , wish id done it 10 years ago always hated working in office if I'm honest
  • Was a facilities manager did 500+ people law firm on £35k pa did knowledge passed left to be london cabbie coming up to 3 years now , wish id done it 10 years ago always hated working in office if I'm honest
    And is the money better Ledge?

Or are you not allowed to say. ;-)

• In a similar boat to you heavenSE7.

I'm 24 and have never known what I wanted to go into. I managed to get an office job for an accountants up town as my brother worked for the company and moved on so a space became available.

Ive been in the job for 5 years now and feel stuck as it's not the job I want to be in for the rest of my life. As much as I'm lucky to have a job I'm thinking now is the right time agewise to look elsewhere
  • Same here. Out of Barnehurst seems a few addicks there. You one of them?
    Yeap
  • Worked for 18 years in the print and just over 2 years ago I decided I wanted out. Applied to start the Knowledge of London and go for my green badge. With an 80% drop out rate I wondered if it would be for me. Started it in Nov 09 and am now mid way through my 28 day appearances. It's the single hardest thing I've ever done. Working a 40 hour week in my 9-5 job and studying for 40 hours a week too seriously tests you. If I knew what it involved this far down the line before I started then I probably wouldn't have done it. Then I look at the benefits, work when you want, where you want for how long you want and earn (to a degree), what you want is just to big a draw for me not to finish this game...
  • edited March 2012
    Thinking of going down the K road myself @p_air.
    Is it really that bad?
  • @Carly Anyone who tells you the KOL is easy is lying! I've got mates whose other halves have packed and walked, others who have got ill doing it and some who just gave it up because it utterly takes over your life. For my initial talk there were 15 of us in the room. Mr Hall (one of the examiners) tells us that from the 15 in the room only 2 will get the badge. I'm one of those 2 cos I won't give it up now. Although I've painted a pretty bleak picture it is very rewarding and there is a reason its so hard. Its cos London Cabbies are consistently voted the best in the world. If you can handle studying every day for 3-4 years, being grilled by am examiner on average 16 times and afford the financial outlay then seriously consider it. All the best.