Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Red Lion - Shooters Hill

edited February 2012 in Not Sports Related
Any regulars on here? I used to use it many years ago and it was a decent honest pub. Not been in there for quite some time though and wondered what it is like these days?

Comments

• Use to do a nice bbq on a Sunday, not been in there for a few years either though....
  • You wont like it. They've got parent and child spaces outside ;-)
  • It's still decent enough although I prefer The Bull at the top of the hill.
  • Yes The Bull is good but we've done that one.

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/36850
  • Went last night. Excellent proper old boozer. Nice atmosphere and really quite busy. Very friendly Landlord and bar staff. Good Courage Best, Directors and Bombadier.
  • Yup i go there with my mates once a month. its good, landlord is a nice guy and locals all friendly
  • The Eagle has changed hands again. Virtually empty most of the time
  • The Eagle has changed hands again. Virtually empty most of the time

Really when did that happen ?
  • Red Lion is a quality pub drink in there for years know Terry the landlord really well and run the pub when he had gone away.
  • Does the Lion have a garden? Popped in their for a quick drink the other sunday lunchtime but it was a sunny day and preferred to be outside.

Had a few drinks in my new local the Bull last night (well its probably not the nearest one but the one im going to). Didnt spot TCE propping up the bar?
  • Sponsored links:

• Yes the lion does have a garden
  • Does the Lion have a garden? Popped in their for a quick drink the other sunday lunchtime but it was a sunny day and preferred to be outside.

Had a few drinks in my new local the Bull last night (well its probably not the nearest one but the one im going to). Didnt spot TCE propping up the bar?
    Be up there this afternoon if you fancy a cordial?

Be up there this afternoon (The Bull) if you fancy a cordial?

• edited March 2012
    We got someone coming over about 6 so we are going to walk up then or will that be past your bedtime? Do you go up there much then?
  • edited March 2012
    Was in there last night from about 8.30 until 12ish, what bar do you use?
    Walking Bailey just after 6 might stick my head in there then.

• Whichever the bar is by the garden, the quiet one. We left about 8.30ish.
  • I must have just missed you. I suppose that would have been the lounge bar in the older days, it is definately the quieter of the two bars.
  • We got someone coming over about 6 so we are going to walk up then or will that be past your bedtime? Do you go up there much then?
    yes and yes.

• The Albany was like a pop in parlour for Lifer Clique this afternoon !
  • The Albany was like a pop in parlour for Lifer Clique this afternoon !
    Sorry I didnt make it, my plans were changed at the last minute and I could have made it.
    Instead me, Mrs TCE and Bailey went to the Bull and bumped into a couple of lifers with some other friends, great to see you both again. : )

• Sponsored links:

• The Eagle re-opened in February - still not been in there in the 10 years I've lived in Red Lion Lane.

Last drink there was 40 years when still at school.
  • The Eagle always used to be a very busy little pub up until about ten years ago. Friday and Saturday night were always chocka. Can't remember the name of the guvnor but he worked really hard getting people though the door. Once he left it dropped like a stone.
  • The Eagle always used to be a very busy little pub up until about ten years ago. Friday and Saturday night were always chocka. Can't remember the name of the guvnor but he worked really hard getting people though the door. Once he left it dropped like a stone.
    Never went in The Eagle when I lived around Shooters Hill, probably because it was Watneys, the Red Lion and Bull were always my locals.

I'm pleasantly surprised that they are all still going given the way the pub trade has gone.
  • The Red Lion brings back memories. In 1956 as an 8 year old i was given a lemonade and a bag of smiths crisps where you had to hunt the blue bag of salt before eating them.

I was sat in my grandads Armstrong Siddley in the car park listening to the creaks, groans and clicks as the engine cooled down whilst the grown ups were enjoying a few pints inside.

I know the pub car park very well but I have never had a drink in there. I must make a point of having a pint in there one day soon for nostalgia reasons.
  • The Eagle was always a Squaddies pub when I was younger.
  • The Red Lion brings back memories. In 1956 as an 8 year old i was given a lemonade and a bag of smiths crisps where you had to hunt the blue bag of salt before eating them.

I was sat in my grandads Armstrong Siddley in the car park listening to the creaks, groans and clicks as the engine cooled down whilst the grown ups were enjoying a few pints inside.

I know the pub car park very well but I have never had a drink in there. I must make a point of having a pint in there one day soon for nostalgia reasons.
    At that time my grandad would have come out of his back gate into Red Lion Place and joined your grandad in there unless he fancied a hike up the hill to The Bull....

At that time my grandad would have come out of his back gate into Red Lion Place and joined your grandad in there unless he fancied a hike up the hill to The Bull....
    "....during the war............"

;-)
  • We got someone coming over about 6 so we are going to walk up then or will that be past your bedtime? Do you go up there much then?
    yes and yes.

Walked back down Shooters Hill to whatever that pub is called next to the petrol garage.
    Nice pub (considering it is one of those modern basic food types).
    Nice beer garden, beer cheap enough and OK.
    Television in garden so as able to catch up with results whilst making the most of the sun.

• Thats the anchor I think robbo. We missed you. Next time. Tho its hard to get out as like piccadilly circus here with visitors.

Stayed in there a lot later than I thought. Some loud old band playing in other bar. That was my brother Ray... couldn't you tell the family likeness. :-)
  • Thats the anchor I think robbo. We missed you. Next time. Tho its hard to get out as like piccadilly circus here with visitors.

Stayed in there a lot later than I thought. Some loud old band playing in other bar. That was my brother Ray... couldn't you tell the family likeness. :-)
    Oops, no sorry I didnt realize it was your brother.
    Thats the trouble when I get in there, we were meeting Lynne from the bus stop and popped in say hello before you know it I fancied a good drink, good job we had Bailey or we'd have stayed half the night. ; )