Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Homophobia in football

NugNug
edited February 2012 in Other Football and Sports
Interesting new video from the FA about homophobia in professional football. Seems like a subject that is being taken seriously. A few people upset that the overall sense is that the video blames the fans for it rather than football itself.

Link

Comments

• After some Suarez baiting yesterday, the scousers sung "You're from Brighton, you know what you are..."

Banter.
  • Why this sudden interest if there's gay ffootballers ad that they haven't "come out"

1 who cares
    2 don't blame em oppo fans would be merciless

Move on if they want to
    Come out, like Gareth Thomas say, they will. If they don't so
    Bloody what
  • Agree it's up to the player himself, also agree that there will always be banter. Banter is one thing but throwing bananas at John Barnes was hardly banter was it?

Think the point is that it's inside the football clubs that may be the bigger issue. No company or employee can discriminate against another employee due to race or sexual orientation, so why should a football club.
  • Interesting new video from the FA about homophobia in professional football. Seems like a subject that is being taken seriously. A few people upset that the overall sense is that the video blames the fans for it rather than football itself.

Link
    What is 'football itself'? Surely football, in relation to homophobia, is people. And the majority of people 'in' football are the fans. You must accept that it is more likely to be the reaction of a mass of fans rather than the odd opposition player / manager who make gay footballers unwilling to come out?
  • I think Gordon Taylor should lead this campaign.
  • Brighton netted three own goals in their 6-1 defeat at Liverpool at the weekend, maintaining the age old tradition of Brighton men scoring up the wrong end.
  • Brighton netted three own goals in their 6-1 defeat at Liverpool at the weekend, maintaining the age old tradition of Brighton men scoring up the wrong end.
    That doesn't even make any sense.
    That doesn't even make any sense.
    what does not make sense

• I don't mind people being homophobic as long as they don't do it in public and rub our noses in it.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2012
    Very gracious of you. I don't mind you existing as long as you don't breath air near me.

• edited February 2012
    Not sure if aimed at my banter/bunter thing but it's been edited anyway.
  • edited February 2012
    Its depressingly predictable on here, that the moment any threads are started wanting any sort of discussion about homophobia then the cheap jokes start. I expect twenty years ago this was the case when racism was discussed
  • Its depressingly predictable on here, that the moment any threads are started wanting any sort of discussion about homophobia then the cheap jokes start.
    Is disapproval of homosexuality on religious or moral grounds homophobia or a perfectly reasonable right to an alternative opinion?

Discuss.
  • Agreed. In light of the subject matter, I don't think this is the thread for jokes. Please keep to the subject at hand. If you don't have anything of substance to say here, don't say anything.
  • Its depressingly predictable on here, that the moment any threads are started wanting any sort of discussion about homophobia then the cheap jokes start. I expect twenty years ago this was the case when racism was discussed
    Funny ain't it the double standards - I don't mean on here, but in general.

On Twitter there are black Liverpool fans re-tweeting funny songs from the game yesterday, "we can see you holding hands" etc...meanwhile prior to that they were frothing over Terry etc.

Why is one type of 'abuse' ok and the other not?

Last week about 4 Millwall fans were nicked in the ground for homophobic chanting and reported in the local paper...yet no widespread condemnation of LFC.

• Its depressingly predictable on here, that the moment any threads are started wanting any sort of discussion about homophobia then the cheap jokes start.
    Is disapproval of homosexuality on religious or moral grounds homophobia or a perfectly reasonable right to an alternative opinion?

Discuss.
    No, not perfectly reasonable right IMHO.

If someone is gay and chooses to express that with other consenting adults then that is up to them. Of course that lifestyle shouldn't be forced on others.

Same with people who have a religion. If they choose to express that with other consenting adults then fine but they should not force the rules or restrictions of that religion on others.

• Why is one type of 'abuse' ok and the other not?

They aren't. Both are wrong IMO
  • Is it any different to the jokes about fat people or ginger people etc ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Is it any different to the jokes about fat people or ginger people etc ?
    Yes
  • edited February 2012
    Because they're not illegal.
  • God created Adam and eve, not Adam and Steve.
    Do you believe that that is how the human race began?
  • God created Adam and eve, not Adam and Steve.
    So who created gay people then?

Discuss.
    No, not perfectly reasonable right IMHO.

If someone is gay and chooses to express that with other consenting adults then that is up to them. Of course that lifestyle shouldn't be forced on others.

Same with people who have a religion. If they choose to express that with other consenting adults then fine but they should not force the rules or restrictions of that religion on others.
    Exactly!
    I am an atheist, but that doesn't mean I think that those with religious beliefs are wrong, or stupid. I don't begrudge them their differing lifestyles.
    The same way I don't go about my life randomly hating anyone.

Except Palace fans of course.

• Its depressingly predictable on here, that the moment any threads are started wanting any sort of discussion about homophobia then the cheap jokes start. I expect twenty years ago this was the case when racism was discussed
    Funny ain't it the double standards - I don't mean on here, but in general.

On Twitter there are black Liverpool fans re-tweeting funny songs from the game yesterday, "we can see you holding hands" etc...meanwhile prior to that they were frothing over Terry etc.

Why is one type of 'abuse' ok and the other not?

Last week about 4 Millwall fans were nicked in the ground for homophobic chanting and reported in the local paper...yet no widespread condemnation of LFC.

That is right sparrows, double standards in it's entirety, if you are caught saying anything racist at all you get arrested, shouldn't this also be the case for saying anything about homosexuality with the intent on causing someone to be upset? discrimination, prejudice and abuse should be handled the same in everything; sexism, racism, fatism and against gay people equally.
    Its depressingly predictable on here, that the moment any threads are started wanting any sort of discussion about homophobia then the cheap jokes start.

Discuss.
    I believe so Len. I don't feel that religious grounds are an excuse. Not a lot of people on here know this about me, but I am a practising Christian, I attend church regularly as do my children. I have heard some ridiculous things said in church about disapproval of 'gayness' sometimes they talk about it as a disease. I always fight the cause and speak my mind sexuality is about who you are not who you choose to be. They self rightious people in the church that come out with all the 'God made Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' Crap really get on my nerves. The bible to some people is a hand held manual but if they really were to practice what they preach they will be churning their own butter and baking their own bread. Times move on and people evolve as do our minds and our rights and our freewill. God did make Adam and Eve but he also blessed human beings with sexual feelings and desires, eyes to see, ears to hear, hands to touch and the amazing brain to think and and act as you wish.

God made us the way we are and if we are gay God intended us to be that way. God loves everyone and any Christian that says otherwise is not a real Christian.
  • Because they're not illegal.
    But why is that illegal and abuse to people based on weight, height, etc not?