Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

On a more sentimental note ...

Just over 10 years ago (early January 2002) my Grandad, Jim Jelf, sadly passed away after struggling with heart problems and then MRSA for a time. He was an avid Charlton fan, attended most of the home games as he had done all his life and had some roles in the club set-up at a low level, and I was wondering, on the off chance, if any of you guys ever knew him? He was fairly involved for a good many years and was one of the many who ripped the weeds up from the turf (along with my uncle) when we regained The Valley. The next paragraph comes from my dad about what my Grandad did in the club.

Well your Grandad, Jim Jelf, got involved in the Charlton Reminiscence Group at the time that the club had lost the Valley as a ground.
The group formed in the late 80s I think at the time when all the efforts were made to regain the Valley with the "Back to the Valley" party that won a seat in the local elections in support of the planning process.
The group started as an adult education class run by the local authority (that would have been the Borough of Greenwich) and the members were mostly older supporters who remembered the earlier (and at the time more successful) days of the club. Im not sure where they met at first but probably in a club or pub in the area I would think.
After a year or two the "class" stopped through the local authority and the group became organised with/through the club.
They used to meet first at the Sparrows Lane training ground in Eltham and then in the end they met back at the Valley once it had reopened in 1992.
It was during that period that Grandad became the Chairman of the group and was involved in various small fund-raising activities - they made a few presentations to the club at different times and I believe he appeared in the programme a few times for the presentations and such.
He particularly enjoyed meeting with some of the ex-players (Peter Croker was the one most involved I think and Grandad got to know him fairy well) and also occasionally with Alan Curbishley and Keith Peacock (who was the Assistant Manager at the time - you may not remenber him).
Prior to all that he'd just been a very long standing supporter - he was born in April 1920 so would have been a teenager when Charlton had their meteoric rise from Division 3 South to Division 2 to Division 1 in successive seasons in the mid/late 30s.

He actually had his first heart problem whilst descending the Valley steps and was in and out of health after that for a while. He was the only grandparent that I actually met and was a great one at that, he was probably the biggest Charlton fan i've ever met as well. I'm not entirely sure what i'm expecting to find but knowing that some of the members of this site are involved in the club setup I'm hoping i'll get some good info back, anything would be welcome though. Naturally it goes without saying that it would mean a lot to us as well to hear about your knowledge of him so if you have anything to say or can think of anyone who might know something then please link them or something. Thanks a lot!

Comments

• Well your Grandad, Jim Jelf, got involved in the Charlton Reminiscence Group at the time that the club had lost the Valley as a ground.

The group formed in the late 80s I think at the time when all the efforts were made to regain the Valley with the "Back to the Valley" party that won a seat in the local elections in support of the planning process.
    At the time the Charlton Reminiscence Group produced for sale an A4 size journal type record of their reminiscences, illustrated with old photos of games (and themselves).

I've still got a copy.
  • There's a picture of him in it and an article titled "75,030 People And Me" by him. I'll scan and post them.
  • edited February 2012

• January 2002 was the same time my mum who was a big fan died!

Must have been something in that time of year!
  • Thanks a great deal Stig! I'm sure my dad will enjoy the copy of the programme, and I especially enjoyed the picture, certainly struck a chord!
    Dazzler, i'm sorry for your loss too!

If anyone else has any info or experience of Ol' Jim then its more than welcome, thanks again you guys!
  • I remember Jim coming along to help out on the Charlton stall with us at the Bexley Show back in the early to mid nineties. He turned up in full vintage Charlton kit, looking fit as a fiddle. Steve Sutherland on the PA kept introducing him as "Special guest Stanley Matthews", which Jim naturally took with great humour. Happy days.
  • Hahaha, he would've loved that, he very much admired Stanley Matthews! Thanks Algarve :)
  • Lovely stuff.......good old Jim!
  • Did you know him at all SoundAs?
  • Sponsored links:

• That's great you've been able to scan those pages, Stig.

Even today, the booklet is a great read with stories from everyone in the group and plenty of black & white photos.

Anyone else (apart from Stig & myself, of course), have a copy?

• edited February 2012
    Yes I believe I have a copy somewhere in the loft. :-) think it had a red cover? Might be time for a clear out to find it.
  • Ive got one, a great read every couple of years, a bit tatty now my copy but a real treasure, wished I coould have sat in on one of the meetings
  • I knew your Granddad on and off for many years. My mum met him through work - she worked in local government in Crayford and then Jim helped out with the cubs football I played in the late 60s. We were basically rubbish but Jim was always positive and it was great fun. What I would say is that when I had kids of my own and my son played a bit of football at the same age I played for Jim his patient, positive approach was in stark contrast to the loud, bullying nonsense from parents and coaches on the line. I would not have enjoyed that but Jim kept it fun despite our incompetence.

Over the years I would bump into Jim and just say hello. When I began work in the 80s he was a rep for one of the Civil Service benevolent societies and would visit various offices. I always made sure I had said hello. Later I bumped into him at Charlton events. I wouldn't say I knew Jim very well but when I heard of his death it brought only positive memories.
  • Thanks a lot NEAddick! SOrry i missed this for so long. Guess this can turn out to be a bit of a *bump*
  • Giving this a little bump out of sheer procrastination mainly but would love to see if any of you had any more info/stories about my grand-dad Jim Jelf? Was involved with quite a lot of things at the Valley during our time away from The Valley and after so again, any information would be lovely. Thanks!
  • Giving this a little bump out of sheer procrastination mainly but would love to see if any of you had any more info/stories about my grand-dad Jim Jelf? Was involved with quite a lot of things at the Valley during our time away from The Valley and after so again, any information would be lovely. Thanks!

I've been reading this thread and it's very moving.

Your grandad looks so happy. I hope you find out more about him.

I hope he is resting in peace.
  • Thanks Sidcup! I hope so too!