Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rangers Football Club enters administration

Comments

• Roses are red, Rangers are dying but who cares cos' Charlton are flying! #cafc #footballvalentines

Twitter ;)
  • Well, thats a surprise.
    We (the country) spent £8m chasing Harry boy for considerably less, I wonder if anyone will be held to account for this.
    I think I know how this will pan out
  • I should imagine they've chosen to go into Administration to avoid a winding up order.
  • I should imagine they've chosen to go into Administration to avoid a winding up order.
    That may well be correct but its just wrong that you can run a business in this manner
  • edited February 2012
    I was going to start this thread. I was in a bad mood when I got in yesterday and when I saw the first thread about Rangers going into administration I thought it was going to be another anti Catholic, anti Irish sectarian outburst from the usual suspects; and I always respond to that because I know this forum is read by other fans and frankly, I find it embarrassing.

However, on reflection it was my post that was the first extreme and intemperate post and the one that caused it to be closed.
    This is a massive football story and the Rangers followers on here, and everyone else, should have the chance to debate it. So I am glad it has been started again.

I had no idea how serious this situation was when I made my comment yesterday. I never thought for a moment that there was the slightest chance of Rangers going under. I hate Rangers, as I hate Man United, but, as a football fan I genuinely would not want to see either club go out of business.
  • Until HMRC winds up a big name club this will keep happening. HMRC will be the main creditor this time surely, and if so they could have Rangers wound up by rejecting the Pompey/Palace style deal of £0.0001 in the £ that will be coming their way. Whether they will make a stand remains to be seen. They don't have a great track record against footy clubs.

I predict that Rangers will take their place in Europe next season and the taxpayer will be down to the tune of over £50m. And yes, a few local small businesses will take a hit too.
  • edited February 2012
    Well, thats a surprise.
    We (the country) spent £8m chasing Harry boy for considerably less, I wonder if anyone will be held to account for this.
    Massive difference.

My understanding is that Rangers have been fairly open and transparent about what they have done, it's just that the PAYE "scheme" they put in to save them tax doesn't work - so now it looks as though they'll have to pay it (and penalties) going back years.

Harry on the other hand was alleged to have squirrelled some cash away and not declared it purely to avoid tax.

One's avoidance and the other is evasion. You can get put away for evasion, but not really for avoidance.

• Until HMRC winds up a big name club this will keep happening. HMRC will be the main creditor this time surely, and if so they could have Rangers wound up by rejecting the Pompey/Palace style deal of £0.0001 in the £ that will be coming their way. Whether they will make a stand remains to be seen. They don't have a great track record against footy clubs.

I predict that Rangers will take their place in Europe next season and the taxpayer will be down to the tune of over £50m. And yes, a few local small businesses will take a hit too.
    The difference this time is that they owe the tax to HMRC because they have tried to be "clever" in the past with an avoidance scheme that, evidently, doesn't work.

In the past with the likes of Pompey, Palace, etc they owed tax because they apparently couldn't afford to pay it, in the same way that people can't afford to pay other creditors - this one just happened to be the taxman.

Is there a difference? Yes, I think so - and unfortunately for Rangers this could be the one the taxman has been waiting for as it would send out a very clear message - "don't try to avoid the tax that is due AND pay it on time".

I know there are a few Rangers fans on here so I hope for there sakes that I'm wrong on this.
  • edited February 2012
    double post
  • Well, thats a surprise.
    Massive difference.

My understanding is that Rangers have been open and transparent about what they have done, it's just that the PAYE "scheme" they put in to save them tax doesn't work - so now it looks as though they'll have to pay it (and penalties) going back years.

Harry on the other hand was alleged to have squirrelled some cash away and not declared it purely to avoid tax.

One's avoidance and the other is evasion. You can get put away for evasion, but not really for avoidance.

I'm not bothered what the differences are, as a tax payer I'm sick and tired of business/individuals not meeting their commitments and the HMRC failing to collect. I,and most of the population dont get that option.
    If Rangers have arranged their finances this way how many other clubs are teetering on the brink?
  • Sponsored links:

• If you understand the differences charltonkeston then you can see that Rangers are probably in more serious do-do then everyone who's gone before them. HMRC still wont collect, so not really sure of the point you're making, but this is serious.
  • If you understand the differences charltonkeston then you can see that Rangers are probably in more serious do-do then everyone who's gone before them. HMRC still wont collect, so not really sure of the point you're making, but this is serious.
    I do understand I also understand if Rangers are here next week or next year it will be us that will be paying for their mis-managment.

• potentially 75 million in unpaid tax, current missing millions from accounts,

Its a huge story and one that is very disturbing to true football fans like myself,

One club is going to fall we all know that and mark my words they will wait for the biggest one to hit them first and hard and use as an example

all Charlton Fans should look at the mess at Rangers and say to themselves i am glad we are in this Tinpot league and never went into admin

because atleast we have a club, there is a real chance this lot will go under and out of business totally

Now as a firm fan of her majestys 11 i find what has happened there a disgrace but not surprised by it either

• Now i might not be the sharpest tool in the box but i thought if you wound a company up you could only expect to receive a a small percentage of say 10 pence in the pound for example.
    So HMRC can only expect to get a small proportion of what they are owed and Rangers will start a new limited company called Rangers 2012 possibly keeping most of their assets and ditching all of their debt.

Small price to pay for losing ten points or have i got this wrong. Educate me please.
  • edited February 2012
    Didn't they go into admin near the beginning of the season, I thought they had a 15 pts lead over Celtic, what happened to that?
  • I was going to start this thread. I was in a bad mood when I got in yesterday and when I saw the first thread about Rangers going into administration I thought it was going to be another anti Catholic, anti Irish sectarian outburst from the usual suspects; and I always respond to that because I know this forum is read by other fans and frankly, I find it embarrassing.

However, on reflection it was my post that was the first extreme and intemperate post and the one that caused it to be closed.
    This is a massive football story and the Rangers followers on here, and everyone else, should have the chance to debate it. So I am glad it has been started again.

I had no idea how serious this situation was when I made my comment yesterday. I never thought for a moment that there was the slightest chance of Rangers going under. I hate Rangers, as I hate Man United, but, as a football fan I genuinely would not want to see either club go out of business.
    Fair play.

Not the 'usual' money problems that clubs have. This is alot more serious money.

Would hate for them to go under but don't think they will. Too big a club and would f##k up the whole league and lower.

The locals up there probably know more than me but don't undestand why Whyte is being blamed etc. Seems they inherited the problems from when Murray was in charge.

This exactly.

• It seems there is the small matter of nine million quid owed since Whyte took over.
  • Just talking about it now on 5Live, apparently there is an on going tax dispute dating back several years that has nothing to do with Whyte. HOWEVER, there is also 9m quids worth of unpaid PAYE that post dates the takeover so has happened very much on Whyte's watch.
  • Who gives a flying fook about rangers,Lets concentrate on the addicks..
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2012
  • Not reading 325 pages of Celtic shite
  • Kin 'ell, Never noticed it was 326 pages long. They really are pathetic!
  • Who gives a flying fook about rangers
    Unionists and Republicans by the look of it.

As I am neither I'll concentrate on the Addicks.

• Not a fan of either Rangers or Celtic, but if Celtic fans are basking in this then they will be in for a shock.

Without Rangers to play 4 times per year, they will struggle to make much money, the league will become even more boring and they will be facing similar financial issues very soon.

• The lawyers who acted for whyte on the takeover are potentially going to get the arse sued off them. Apparently the EBT and potential liabilities were fully and fairly disclosed so unless whyte knew it all and decided to proceed regardless of advice to the contrary then it is negligence central.

Sad day and as for Celtic and others gloating, they and Scottish football are dead without Rangers. The dualism and rivalry makes both of these clubs and just about papers over the cracks of how poor and underwhelming the football is up there. Without Rangers the tv goes down the gates go down the interest goes down.

One last thing, there are a fair few clubs down here who used EBTs to pay wages so bet they are bricking it now... you cannot just come up with something clever go to town on it and never get clearance, just use it as pivotal to your business model. Action needs to be taken against the previous regime.

WATP
  • As has often been said on here and elsewhere..........Scottish Football, what's the point?
  • Celtic I believe were in a not too disimilar position in 1994 - and Rangers fans were doing the gloating then. But without each other, both clubs are nothing. Without anyone to hate, what is there to do? Maybe Scotland would be better off without the pair of them.
  • The Celtic mob seem very happy.Bet they will still be laughing when they find the telly money goes,who will pay for a St Johnsone etc v Celtic? If you look at quite a few spl grounds or teams that have been recently in the spl the away end is a substantial size to cash in on the hopefully four old firm games a season.This could finish Scottish football as we know it.In a few years a big game in Scotland could be the play off for an early stage of the Europa League Celtic v Prestatyn Town!
    I do wonder though,the nine million for the recent tax bill excluded, is Rangers (and I bet there will be many other clubs following this with their collective arse cheeks clenched) must have been told that this trust fund method of paying players was legal.Is this a case of the tax man moving the goal posts to make a few quid? Is this why the whole thing is at a tribunal? If it is the case and it is ruled in favour of Rangers,then they will get away with lesser payments/fines.
    The other way of looking at it is if the tax man dives in to football to get its owed money will the damage he will do cost him more than what he will get? In Rangers case £75 million may be owed but he has no chance of getting his hands on much of that and if the club closes surely with the money he will loose will outweigh what he will gain from shutting the club.The previous sentence the word Rangers could be substituted for many a club.